There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,911 times. The latest Post () was by DakotaSurfer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It's no different than the outrageous salaries we pay ball players or football players just for playing a game. No one is worth several million dollars a movie.

• I love Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck, and Morgan Freeman. Tom Hanks is also a favorite of mine.

I am of the opinion that actor's are limited more these days because of the way movies are made. As stated here, special effects have taken over. That's what the main focus seems to be on. Director's like John Ford brought out the best in actor's and actresses. Now the stars are second to the visual effects. Instead of acting ability, or, integrity, one only needs to look good for the camera. The attitude seems to be, if one cannot act, just show some skin and no one will care. There's a difference in using classic beauty and demoralizing sex appeal. I'm not sure if the powers that be in the industry realize it or not, but, when women's bodies are used as tools, it also makes the men look shallow and impotent. Duke was a real man that did not need a naked lady to draw fans to his movies. And personally it's an insult to my womanhood and intelligence when I see the moral decay being called entertainment replacing the true art of movie making.

Therefore, it's more difficult for me to find favorites in this day and age. I can't determine as easily what an actor is made of when the my senses are on special effects overload.

Cindy

• Upon reflection on this topic, it seems to be the opinion of many here that this topic concerns more on the technical ability of a person more than the character of one. My question on this topic is simply this who shows consistency on screen as they do in real life?

John Wayne is such that man! No debate here on that. What makes a man? John Wayne has a genuine love for mankind and the land we call America. He plays that in his movies because there is good here.

When we elected Ronald Reagan back in 1980, we were looking for that man. President Reagan was there for us. He didn't care what others thought. He cared for this country, and stood up for our country against anyone who stood in the way.

Duke was such a man. His movies reflected on human character and the simple conclusion of standing up for right.

Look at McLintock! for example; he stood for the homesteaders as they came to make a life for themselves. He told them that this was not where they needed to be, but as our government stood there and gave our people the land to live and farm on. It was G.W. McLintock who knew it was wrong. He warned them. It was he who stood for the Indians and the chiefs against the government. It was he who stood to the cattle ranchers wanting better for the land that would benefit all by giving statehood. McLintock telling his daughter, Becky that she was not going to inherit all the land. He would only give a small portion to her. He wanted to give the land to the people as a national or state park for all to enjoy. I could go on and on, but I hope you understand what I am talking about.

John Wayne is that type of man who gives of himself to all the people. He never turns away a fan who just wanted to shake his hand and get his picture taken, and is very sincere doing that. He gives to causes that is helping people. He stands up for our soldiers when they might be engaged in an unpopular war. He is a true American by reminding us that this is a nation of people and not government. Free elections are a gift, and should be used wisely.

Do you understand? Is there such an actor today, and why? We hear some celebrities that tell us that we are stupid and should let some rule our country, and we in a way are selling out. Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins are those who think we should let those lead us. They told us if our current president was elected they'll leave this country. Funny that they didn't do that in December 2000. I guess you know that those two are not very real people.

John Wayne represents what true Americans are and how great this place is.

Yea, we get drunk, and raise holy war, and sometimes get a little rough, but this is a rough place. And we are not getting any tamer. Nor should we. That doesn't mean hurting people in the process either.

Do we have anyone who may be consistent in both film and life, today?

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Too many actors today rely on special effects, computer generated doubles or computer generated stunts. If it's a movie like Million Dollar Baby where there was no special effects than it could qualify as a good movie but even Flags of our Fathers which was an excellent movie still had to rely too much on computer generated scenes which takes the skill out of the acting. Take the same kind of movie and go back several years when they did movies like The Longest Day which had battle scenes or Sands of Iwo Jima, they both required good acting, directing and not a bit of special effects, the computer generated kind that is. It's just not the same anymore. And they gets millions for the stuff they call acting nowadays.

Well said Jay, Dakota, Cindy--all.

And I completely agree with you Dakota on what you stated above. Flat out, I don't think these actors are worth even a million dimes, to do a movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hondo,

Forgive me if I did ramble to the point that I did not get my point across.

I have not followed the personal life of todays actor's as much as I did Duke's. And I am just now, with the help of this group and books, learning much more about JW. He was easy to read because he was real and who he was came through loud and clear. Today's actor's, for me, are much too, HOLLYWOOD...I cannot tell the person from the actor, that was my point. Not that this was an answer to your specific question. I was just commenting on where I am at with my opinions.

Since many of you seem to have a lot more knowledge about certain actor's, and have the insight I would trust, I would appreciate hearing all of your input on these people. Correct me if I'm wrong, Hondo, but I THINK that's more what you were asking in the first place.

And an example of how uninformed I am...I did not know that about Tim Robbins. Not that I care for him as an actor, but, it ruffles my feathers when people use their celebrity status to inflict their stupidity on unknowing American's. It's so true, knowledge is power. And for the average American who is not up on politics, the people who are have more power to sway them. I'm rambling again...sorry.

Cindy

• for the average American who is not up on politics, the people who are have more power to sway them.

Nothing frosts me more than some celebrity jacking their jaws about political subjects. Most of them don't know a freaking' thing about anything but since they're celebrities, a lot of Americans (the ignorant ones, of which there are millions) accept the celebrity opinions as gospel.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Cindy,

Thank you for your input. I ask this question for a reason. I honestly don't know of anyone who fits that bill. I ask what you think of someone and I'm not sure if they know what I am talking about. I am not asking if there is another John Wayne out there. That is an obvious.

I am not up to today's pop culture, and I don't think there is anyone out there who is real. We have real stupid people out there, but do they know what they are talking about? I do believe that it was easy in Duke's day on who was real and who was not. But it doesn't seem so easy today.

I hope I didn't insult you with my post. I didn't want this topic to change and wanted an answer. They were getting into technical things and I was looking for a real person.

Cheers :cool: Mike a.k.a. Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hello Mike,

Must admit when I read your post it did feel like you were a bit irritated. When I wrote my first response I was sick and trying to get my mind off of being so.:stunned:

When I read your comments, I read over mine again, and could see I did not explain myself too well. Being the passionate writer that I am, it's easy for me to ramble.

Again, I don't know enough about today's actor's. Mostly because I have not felt too inclined to learn more about them beyond the headlines. I have favorites, but, my opinions of them might change if I knew more. I appreciate the essence of your question, because, with the brilliant minds here I could learn a lot. Then it would be easier to determine which actor's I spend my precious time watching...At my age, time gets more precious as each day passes....

Cindy

PS. Forgive me guys, but I get tickled when I see you stirred up over politics, etc....I'm a woman that likes a strong minded man...:wink_smile:

• I get tickled when I see you stirred up over politics, etc....I'm a woman that likes a strong minded man

I'll bet you and I would get along real well, Cindy, because when it comes to politics, no one is stronger-minded than me. :wink_smile: I never get tired of arguing about politics.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, you're so cute!

Chester,

The man in my signature is Rhett. He's my best friend on earth and the most excellent, brilliant, tender hearted, STRONG MINDED man I know. He is a distant cousin to Clint Eastwood and has 4 President's in his family line that include G.W. Bush and his dad. And he's the only man I love more than Duke...

Cindy

• Jay,

I removed Rhett. The avatar has me and a friend in El Paso, Eddie, who looked like James West in "Wild WIld West." There's another pic of me on my profile.

Now we might want to get back to the thread subject before Hondo gets us....:ohmy: :wink_smile:

Cindy

• I'll bet you and I would get along real well, Cindy, because when it comes to politics, no one is stronger-minded than me. :wink_smile: I never get tired of arguing about politics.

That's just cause your grumpy Stumpy. And pig-headed like most of us old farts.