Highest grossing westerns since 1980

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,467 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was happy to see Back to the Future 3 so close to the top! Up there with my favorite movies :biggrin: !

Mrs. C :angel1:

I see Universal Studios park is dumping the Back to the Future ride. The wife and I went on it when I took her to Orlando a few years ago. The rides in the Universal park were pretty decent, this one included. And they are going to replace it with something from The Simpsons... give me a break. I suckered the wife to go on Disney's Tower of Terror. That was also good.

• Man, that breaks my heart, DakotaSurfer. That was one of my most favorite rides when the wife and I went there years ago. Waited in line several times just to ride it again. As Homer would say " DOH ! "

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• What is Brokeback doing on a western list?

Haven't seen any Young Guns or Back to the future movies, I'm very suspicious for some reason

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Couldn't find anything about highest grossing war movies, but here's a little something for you.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.co…ovie-pages/movie_war.html

:thumbs_up: Thanks my friend. It is an impressive list. I've watched the vast majority of these and like most of them on the list. I sure with Apocalypse Now was not on the list at first place though. I'd kindly prefer that distinction to belong to one of Duke's movies. :wink_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Top 10 highest-grossing Westerns

Given the track record of "Pirates of the Caribbean" producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski and studio Walt Disney Pictures, their new collaboration, "The Lone Ranger," may well leave all previous Westerns behind in a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi-yo, Silver!" (oops!)

Here are the genre's 10 highest-grossing movies -- adjusted for inflation, or else a money-losing flop like "Cowboys & Aliens" comes in at No. 8!

1. "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" $560,229,400
    The Paul Newman-Robert Redford 1969 buddy classic that made the latter a star won Oscars for original screenplay (William Goldman), cinematography (Conrad L. Hall), score (Burt Bacharach) and song (Bacharach and Hal David's "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head").

2. "Blazing Saddles" $502,026,500
    The 1974 Mel Brooks comedy-Western starring Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder is considered one of cinema's funniest films.

3. "Duel in the Sun" $405,102,000
    King Vidor's 1946 Technicolor tale of a half-American Indian (Jennifer Jones) facing prejudice and forbidden love was a scandalous hit.

4. "Dances with Wolves" $346,972,400
    Told from the cultural perspective of the Lakota people, director-star Kevin Costner's 1990 epic took seven Academy Awards, including best picture, director, cinematography and original score.

5. "Shane" $272,635,000
    No. 3 on the American Film Institute's list of greatest Westerns, behind John Ford's "The Searchers" (1956) and Fred Zinnemann's "High Noon" (1952), is George Stevens' 1953 classic about a gunslinger and a family in the changing frontier.

6. "Little Big Man" $184,064,401
    A 121-year-old's (Dustin Hoffman) memories satirize and comment on the Old West in this 1970 Western.

7. "True Grit" $171,243,005
    The Coen brothers' 2010 remake of the 1969 John Wayne film earned Hailee Steinfeld a supporting-actress Oscar nomination for her first film.

8. "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" $170,261,707
    Clint Eastwood. Sergio Leone. Climactic 1966 spaghetti Western of "The Man With No Name" trilogy.

9. "Unforgiven" $163,059,604
    Director-star Eastwood's poignant 1992 bookend to the above won four Oscars, including best picture, director and supporting actor (Gene Hackman).

10. "Django Unchained" $162,805,434
    From 2012: Quentin Tarantino goes West.

http://www.newsday.com/enterta…ossing-westerns-1.5573403

• Another great Western missing from that list is "Lonesome Dove" which, IMHO, was much better than several others on May's list.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Lonesome Dove was a TV mini-series. It had no grosses. I agree that it was great.

Open Range's lifetime grosses are $58,331,254 domestic and $9,965,039 foreign for a worldwide total of $68,296,293. It wouldn't adjust high enough to make the list.