Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 142,409 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

Talking about real Rugby Football we watched England beat France last night in the World Cup :thumbs_up: to go through to next weeks final against either Argentina or South Africa.

ON ON YOU NOBLEST ENGLISH:teeth_smile:
    (With apologies to Will Shakespeare)

Aruthur,

How does it look for England to take the cup? Sorry, but how has England done in the past. We don't get too much news of the sport here. I guess our American Football sensation takes over the airwaves here in the states. We don't hear or I don't hear anything about Rugby Football.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Tough loss for LSU tonight. 3 overtimes I believe. This really shakes things up in the SEC as well as the BCS. Let's see, South Florida playing for the championship????? What about Boston College or California???? Should be very interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
    On another note, watched my Dawgs beat Vanderbilt JUST like they beat us last year!!!!!!:teeth_smile: Go Dawgs!!!!!

With three more high-ranked teams losing yesterday, the BCS must be having fits. Who gets into the championship game is anyone's guess.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Need Playoffs in College Football!

I am afraid that we are going to crown a champion who didn't play any kind of tough schedule. That is what will win this year. Sure wish my team played a soft schedule this year like Ohio State. They played two Division Two teams and they will be the champion. Maybe they should be in Division Two.

By the way, Ohio State is #1 in this weeks polls. They got it beating a Division Two Kent State. Do you remember in 2004 that Auburn was denied a chance to play for the national championship because they played a Division Two team in their schedule and everyone on the sports cast kept saying that a division one school should never be able to play in a national championship game under any circumstances. Wow, have things changed since Auburn got burned in that season!

Let's see, my high school team won 52-6 on Friday, my college team won on Saturday 9-7 in a very defensive game, and my pro team just lost in Tampa Bay in the final seconds 13-10. The polls released shows Auburn at 17 (AP) and 18 (USA). A flip flop with Texas. The high school team is #1 in the state and #3 in the USA Today poll from last week.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• in the world rugby cup england will be playing south africa they will be playing this saturday. of the two teams playing i hope england gets up and win. i think that these two teams have played off before and england won. will have to wait till sunday to find out who wins as i will be working all weekend again.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Alas - the Cowboys lost to the Patriots yesterday, playing below the spirited way they played in their first four games. They are still 5 - 1 which is nothing to sneeze at.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hey gt - I'll be rooting for the Falcons tonight when they battle the Giants (the Giants are in the Cowboys' division, so I'm looking for a loss in that department.).

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Mike and Smokey

England are the holders of the Webb Ellis World \Cup having beaten Australia in Sydney four years ago. Prior to coming into this years finals England were written off as the worst world champions ever and were beaten in the group stage 36 - 0 by South Africa. But we have improved to the point where the favourites Australia and New Zealand were knocked out, by England and France and after France were beaten we play South Africa in the final, hopefully with a different result. If England win they will be the first team to retain the trophy

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hondo, I completely agree with you. I watched my SEC get shut out two years in a row. Auburn (who I thought could have beat Southern Cal that year) and LSU ( I think they could have done it too ) the next. Just look what happened when they let Florida have a shot last year. They just annihilated Ohio State.

Right now, perhaps OSU is the no. 1 team, but South Fla? Boston College? Right now the BCS is in a mess. Guess I'll just hafta wait and see what happens.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Arthur, Keep us informed on the outcome in the upcoming match. You are our only source, and I'd like England to win. I guess you can say that I am a fan with you. Go England. :thumbs_up: What is the team mascot?:ohmy:

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• Hey gt - I'll be rooting for the Falcons tonight when they battle the Giants (the Giants are in the Cowboys' division, so I'm looking for a loss in that department.).

Jay, thanks for the support, but we don't have an offensive line to begin with and tonight we're playing with two rookies to fill in for injured players on the line. The Giants had 12 sacks on Donovan McNabb and I think they might break that tonight.:cry2: But.....we'll see.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Need Playoffs in College Football!

I am afraid that we are going to crown a champion who didn't play any kind of tough schedule. That is what will win this year. Sure wish my team played a soft schedule this year like Ohio State. They played two Division Two teams and they will be the champion. Maybe they should be in Division Two.

By the way, Ohio State is #1 in this weeks polls. They got it beating a Division Two Kent State. Do you remember in 2004 that Auburn was denied a chance to play for the national championship because they played a Division Two team in their schedule and everyone on the sports cast kept saying that a division one school should never be able to play in a national championship game under any circumstances. Wow, have things changed since Auburn got burned in that season!

Sorry Hondo, but Kent State is a division one team, they play in the Mid American Conference.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Anyone here attend the largest outdoor cocktail party Saturday night???? If not, then you missed my Dawgs handle business in Jacksonville F-L-A!!!!! Oh and guess who's in the top 10 at 10???

GO DAWGS!!!!!!

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi

Don't really understand why but on Sunday the New York Giants beat the Miami Dolphins 13-10. it was a home match for the Dolphins and it was played at Wembley Stadium watched by 81,176 people. Long way to go to see a home game especially as it was played in pouring rain.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi
    Don't really understand why but on Sunday the New York Giants beat the Miami Dolphins 13-10. it was a home match for the Dolphins and it was played at Wembley Stadium watched by 81,176 people. Long way to go to see a home game especially as it was played in pouring rain.
    Regards
    Arthur

I watched that game - didn't realize you folks across the pond were that great of football (U.S. version). It does catch on after awhile.

"Not hardly!!!"

• NFL is trying to expand there fan base. How many people really follow the NFL in England or Europe though??

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi

I must admit I have never understood the game,but I believe it did start once but didn't catch on. Saying that however 81,000 people watching on a wintery afternoon is not a crowd viewing a novelty sport.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• NFL Europe, yes it did close. I think more than anything they tried to do too much with it. They wanted to attract the European market and then they also tried to make it like the minor leagues in baseball. I understand that in the business world you always have to find ways of growing your consumer base, but do we really need to reach overseas? Heck we have cities like Los Angles that do not have a NFL franchise. I think they need to spend a bit more time growing the home market before they start reaching over seas.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.