Mickey Rooney appearance

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,889 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

Reading about the film The Life of Jimmy Dolan here made me want to tell you about an event I attended.

One of the stars of The Life Of Jimmy Dolan was a very young Mickey Rooney,and last night I went to Worthing to see a very old Mickey Rooney celebrating 85 years in Show business. It was very good and the first time that I had been in the same room with someone who had known John Wayne.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, I had not known that he had ever been in any John Wayne movie? Can you tell more as to what happened at the celebration? By the way, the latest movies I saw Mickey Rooney in was: The Last Confederate. He played the part of someone's Grandfather - who was bed-ridden. I was very surprised that he was in such an unknown movie as this one.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• As I was on my way to St. Ives,
    I met a man with seven wives.
    I know this sounds absurd and looney,
    but the poor man was Mickey Rooney.

Sorry, I read this in a MAD magazine when I was a youngin' and for some reason, it pops into my head everytime I hear Mickey's name. :stunned:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I've only seen him in a few films myself but have always liked him. MIckey Rooney was great in: Boys Town and Men of Boys Town both with Spencer Tracey. Also, he was very good as the rescue chopper pilot in: The Bridges At To Ko-Ri. And I think the only other film I have ever seen him in (other than The Last Confederate) is: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

• Well I saw him, unfortunately my grandfather couldn't go with me but Mickey is in fine form for a man of 87. Watching him perform was like watching a last living link with Old Hollywood. His wife Jan has a good, strong singing voice as well. I'm very glad I went because he was talking about this tour four years ago when Bob Hope died, so it's unlikely Mickey Rooney will be coming back to the UK. Although he did say he will be performing pantomine at Christmas in Sunderland, I don't know how he finds the energy!

• i remember a couple of years ago when david letterman was mc at the oscars he made fun of MICKEY ROONEY being put in the balcony. i did not think it was funny only sad and disrespectful of a star who was #1 box office for two years.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• i remember a couple of years ago when david letterman was mc at the oscars he made fun of MICKEY ROONEY being put in the balcony. i did not think it was funny only sad and disrespectful of a star who was #1 box office for two years.

I never did like david lettermen and him saying that about Mickey Rooney, just gives me more reason not to. With all his riches, one would think that he'd get his front teeth fixed. :glare:

• I really enjoyed him in the movies that were mentioned but I also liked him in Disney's Pete's Dragon and National Velvet. He was a joy to watch in past and present, and it is good to see him today. I think a lot of people envy Arthur by meeting the man.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Today is Mickey's 87th birthday!

I only wish last Saturday I had asked him about Freddie Bartholomew. They made several films together in the 1930s and early 1940s. I like to watch "Captains Courageous" every once in a while because like some of Duke's movies it is a film that makes you feel better for having seen it.

• For many years I listened to a very nice man on the WGN radio in Chicago named Roy Leonard. He always said his least favorite person to interview was Mickey Rooney. He said he was rude and arrogant. It reached the point where he just refused to have him on his show. When Rooney was in town promoting something, the station would offer the interview to the new guy on the staff cause anyone who had interviewd him once didn't want to talk to him again.

I recall hearing him on another Chicago station when he erupted because he was adressed as Mickey and not Mr. Rooney.

He had a string of strange business deals. He "invented " the square hotdog. The idea being it would fit on a hamburger bun. Surprisingly that did not catch on.