Best Villain Western Or Non Western

There are 66 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,985 times. The latest Post () was by Big Jake Jr..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• . . . a bad guy you root for.

Now there's another interesting concept . . . the bad guy you kind of like. I haven't seen it, but I understand Denzel Washington's character in the new movie American Gangster is kind of like that (personally, I could never consider a heroin dealer as anything but a villian, no matter how "likable" he is).

I bet with a little more thought, I could probably think of some other bad guys that folks root for.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Another woman who played a good evil part was Tilda Swinton. She was the evil White Witch in the Narnia movie in 2005.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Another woman who played a good evil part was Tilda Swinton. She was the evil White Witch in the Narnia movie in 2005.

GOOD call! She was downright creepy!

Just for fun, I asked our 11 year old who was the worst movie villain he could think of, and he said . . . "that creep who shot John Wayne in The Cowboys."

Smart kid!

Chester :newyear:

• Robert Mitchum in both Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter must come near the top of any list.

I frequently think women make the best villains and two that stand out for me are the Witch from 'The Wizard of Oz' and the psychotic nurse in Misery who is supposed to be helping James Cann on the road to recovery.

Regarding John Wayne's movies Liberty Valance and Bruce Dern from the Cowboys stand out for me as the two best.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi robbie, that was Kathy Bates who played the nurse in Misery. I was only able to watch that once. Never again.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• H. SANADA gave me this idea. we made list of who we like but what made a good movie, but a really good villian.you can list one or more.first off
    henry fonda once upon a time in the west.:cowboy:
    ps this place is fun again.

Great question and good thread.

I agree with you - Henry Fonda's character in Once Upon A Time In The West has to be right at the top of the list. When you gun down small defenseless children in cold blood -as he did in the early "men in dusters" scene, you know you've crossed a line.

How about Joaquin Phoenix's character in Gladiator - the man crucified Maximus' wife and young son.

Gregory Peck as Dr. Mengele in The Boy's of Brazil was a good one too.

Hey, how about Harvey Korman as Hedy (that's HEDLEY...!!!!!!!!!) Lamarr in Blazing Saddles..??

Michael Madsen as Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs comes to mind - he's the fellow who lopped off the cop's ear with a straight razor..!

Finally, I have to agree with Jack Palance, Lee Van Cleef and Bruce Dern as well - pretty nasty characters..

• I don't have time to check to see if I posted here before but, if I did, I have to change my vote for best villain movie. I would have to say the best one (or at least, the funniest one) I saw was the movie: "The Villain" w/ Kirk Douglas as the: Villain, Ahnuld Schwarzenegger as Handsome Stranger and Ann Margaret as the babe.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I think three of the most memorable villains were Laurence Olivier as Crassus in "Spartacus", Stephen Boyd as Messala in "Ben Hur" and probably the most menacing of all was Nathaniel Narcisco as Salvaje, the Apache warrior who was Gregory Peck's adversary in "The Stalking Moon". For Western fans, I highly recommend the last title, which will be released on DVD 26 August.

I also have to agree with Rob that Bob Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter" would rank near the top of my list of memorable villains, as would the young man who was Crowe's second-in-command in the remake of "3:10 to Yuma". Or how about Anthony Perkins in "Psycho"? Bela Lugosi as Dracula was always good for a few shivers. Vincent Price too.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• how about the late Richard ( not Dick) Widmark in the kiss if death.anyone who would laugh while pushing an old lady in a wheelchair to her death down a flight of stairs has to be on some top ten list.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• how about the late Richard ( not Dick) Widmark in the kiss if death.anyone who would laugh while pushing an old lady in a wheelchair to her death down a flight of stairs has to be on some top ten list.

Hi Bill, have to agree with you anout Widmark in "Kiss of Death."

Also, two more I can think of are:

Stephan McNally as: Dutch Henry Brown (James Stewarts Outlaw Brother in: Winchester '73.) and also: Dan Duryea as: Waco Johnny Dean in that same movie. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I have to go with the voice that erupts from Linda Blair in the Exorcist. I did not want to see that film but two friends dragged me in. As soon as the voice arrived I left the show and met them later. I don't like horror films and anything that has Satanic themes does nothing for me. There are enough twisted souls already without adding fuel to the fire.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Eli Wallach in "The Magnificent Seven". Witty, smug, humorous, lethal and treacherous.

"If God didn't want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep"

We deal in lead, friend.

• henry fonda as child killer frank in once apon a time in the west
    george kennedy in the sons of katie elder
    barbara stanwyck as the evil bi.ch in the violent men.