Best Villain Western Or Non Western

There are 66 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,944 times. The latest Post () was by Big Jake Jr..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• H. SANADA gave me this idea. we made list of who we like but what made a good movie, but a really good villian.you can list one or more.first off
    henry fonda once upon a time in the west.:cowboy:
    ps this place is fun again.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• as much as we all dislike the man but mr dean from "the cowboys" without him it wouldn't have been the movie it became. his part was pivital in the telling of the story of those boys becoming men, and how they overcame their fears along the way.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• In the order first ones to come into mind

Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the West
    Klaus Kinski in Aguirre or The Great silence
    Bruce Dern in The Cowboys
    Robert Duvall in True grit
    Lee Marvin in Liberty Valance
    Buster Keaton in Le Roi des Champs Elysees
    David Bowie in Il mio West aka The Gunslinger
    Lee van Cleef in The Good, the bad and in ugly
    Emil Jannings as Mephisto in Faust
    Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator
    Gene Hackman in Unforgiven
    Anthony Hopkins in Silence of lambs
    Kenneth McMillen as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen in Dune
    Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Duke is always taking a role of good guy.
    even in The Searchers,he changed his mind not to kill Debbie.
    but it's rare case,i think.
    about Henry Fonda,he was a good marshall in My Darling Clementine and a bad guy
    in Once Upon A Time In the West as Bill Of Pa said.

I think viilain has two meaning,good bad guy and bad bad guy?

Richard Widmark in The Law and Jake Wade has a nice personality but lawless man.
    i like Dick .he had a spirits of samurai. he intentionally was killed,i believe.

regards ,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I think viilain has two meaning,good bad guy and bad bad guy?

I don't count "good bad guys" as villains, in the sense of Duke in eg Stagecoach, Angel and Badman and Three godfathers is an outlaw, but he's still the "good guy". Much more so, than Duvall's sympathic, but neverthless bad guy in True grit. Duke's characters in eg The Searchers, Red River or Wake of the Red Witch are not good or bad, they're troubled and confused.
    I counted one "bad good guy" as a villain, Gene Hackman's sheriff in Unforgiven, there are not many film characters I'd hate more

I don't believe in surrenders.

• My favorite villain is Kirk Douglas in "The Villain" He played "Cactus Jack" and Arnold Schwarzenegger played "Handsome Stranger" ...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• I still remember Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator. That scene in the movie, when the fuel tanker truck is ablaze and you're thinking, Finally! He's dead!

Then, out of the inferno, rises this stainless steel skeleton with Arnold's face on it! Yikes!!

At the time the movie came out, to me that was about the spookiest thing I'd seen.

Chester :newyear:

• My favorite villain is Kirk Douglas in "The Villain" He played "Cactus Jack" and Arnold Schwarzenegger played "Handsome Stranger" ...

Tarnations!, you stole my thunder :wink_smile: I was going to list Kirk Douglas as The Villain, as my one choice. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Guess i'll have to find another? :teeth_smile:

How about Aldo Ray in: "Welcome To Hard Times" which also had: Henry Fonda as the Mayor of the tiny town Aldo burned to the ground. As well, had Warren Oates and a few other recognizable "faces" in it.

Anyway, the Aldo Ray character was a real s*n of a b***h, in this movie. :yeaahh: Also, this is a movie that Duke would have never liked. I didn't care much for it either. :glare:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

Taking Vera's point about good bad guys and bad bad guys one of the strangest bad guys was Dan Dureya playing Whitey Kincaid in Ride Clear of Diabalo with Audie Murphy, he is a villain and there is a feeling he would kill any time he wanted to but in the end your sorry when he gets killed.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

I wanted to say Yul Brynner as the rogue robot cowboy in ..................................

but I have forgotten the name of the film!!! my alka saltzer again :teeth_smile:

I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me please?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi
    Ely
    that's "Westworld" directed by Michael Crichton S.F.Western.

estija
    In my language ability, It's so difficult to express it well.
    In 3 Godfathers,Duke is a bank robbery,and he saves a baby.
    he is not a bad guy,not a villain. ofcourse i think so.
    by the way, what villain?
    for example,Joel McRea in Colorado Territory, he is a train robbery
    but is honest to his lover,church.
    Jimmy Stewart is a bad sheriff in "Two Rode Together" and is gentle to indian lady.
    Jack Palance in "lonely man" more and more.
    It's difficult.

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• hello H SANADA! what i mean by villian is the evil person or persons, who holds the movie together by being so good at being bad.take care.bill

• elly, the movie is westworld. funny how he looked like chris from the magnificent 7.

hi Bill

And THANKS!! I knew someone would be able to remind me but cant guarantee I wont forget again!!

senior moments coming thick and fast :teeth_smile:

Long time since I saw Magnificent 7 but yes now that you mention the likeness.

if we are looking for a real villian then it has to be LEE MARVIN in westerns and James Cagney in non westerns

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi
    Ely
    that's "Westworld" directed by Michael Crichton S.F.Western.

regards,
    H.sanada

Thanks for the quick reply would have bugged me till I knew!

• Interesting topic!

You know, there was a Disney special some years ago (so long that I don't remember the name anymore) that "honored" the bad guys, acknowledging (as did smokey) that the bad guy is pivotal to any story. Without the bad guy, what is there for the good guy to triumph over?

One that comes to my mind - George Kennedy's character in Cahill, US Marshall. Pure evil! In fact, he was pretty rotten in The Sons of Katie Elder, too!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• good one chester. george was pure evil in cahill.:cowboy:
    ps to bad george did not make a movie with duke were they rode together.i would have liked that.