Great Movie Comedies

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,680 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• dont remember may as a child but i do remember the life of brian and as an adult the Santa clause movies have made me laugh so hard that i had tears in my eyes

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• For me there's several...

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein' and Blazing Saddles

Airplane (It may have ruined Duke's 'The High and the Mighty' for me, I can't watch that movie without thinking of the jokes from the parody)

Steve Martin in "All of Me". The entire movie is not that great, but there's a couple of scenes that had me rolling. (The same with his "The Jerk", "Roxenne" and "Bowfinger" - not great movies, but some very funny scenes)

also there's "The Blues Brothers", "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", and "Support Your Local Sheriff"

• I agree there are a lot of movies..

The End with Burt Reynolds

Cannonball run

Home Alone 1 and 2 … the interaction with the crooks makes me laugh every time…

Oh I forgot "I'm gona get ya sucka"

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Chaplin's Gold Rush, Being There (Peter Sellers and Shirley McLaine) and Polanski's The Fearless vampire killers made me howl from laughter when seeing them first time, but that's long ago, and rewatched they don't have quite the same effect anymore. I doubt that any film could. Of course that also requires a theathre full of audience and everybody laughing, and since I nowadays mainly watch movies from dvd's, it can never be as funny.

Some relatively recently seen that get lots of smiles, grins, chuckling and an occasional laugh out of me include anything by Buster Keaton and Pedro Almadovar, a German film Goodbye Lenin, a Czech one Kolya, The Lady Eve and Austin Powers movies.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Blazing Saddles and History of the World Part 1. Mister Roberts, Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Recent movies that I thought were funny are The 40 year old virgin and Wedding Crashers.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• For something more modern that made me laugh: Anchorman w/ Wil Farrell. :thumbs_up:

Something a bit older that made me howl when watching it for the first time: A Fish Called Wanda w/ Jamie Lee Curtis and (sorry I can't think of his name at the moment-you know-the lead guy from Monty Python) :thumbs_up:

Something even older that was great was: Animalolympics (SP?) :thumbs_up:

Still older but great are the two Glenn Ford movies that NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to be released on DvD: 1) Don't Go Near the Water :thumbs_up: & 2) Imitation General which also included: Red Buttons. :thumbs_up:

Still older yet are: Arsenic and Old Lace w/ Cary Grant, :thumbs_up: Along Came Jones w/ Gary Cooper, :thumbs_up: Ball of Fire w/ Gary Cooper, Dan Duryea, and Barbara Stanwyck. :thumbs_up:

And still even older yet: The General w/ Buster Keaton. :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl

Your thinking of John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda. He also runs a company that makes Industrial Training Films and some years ago I watched a film of his called meetings Bloody meetings in which he did a take on of Elizabeth the First preparing to meet the Spanish Armada.

I like two of your other choices Arsenic and Old Lace and The General. Both brilliant in their own way.

I also like some of the Marx Brothers films including the one about the diamonds in a can of fish which also included a glimpse of the very young Marylin Monroe.

Regards

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Two of my other favorite comedies, which nobody has mentioned, are "The Happy Years" starring Dean Stockwell, and "Life With Father" starring William Powell.

I also really liked all the Mr. Belvedere comedies with Clifton Webb. In fact, his first, "Sitting Pretty" (1948) with Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara, was one of the funniest.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Arthur, thanks, I couldn't believe that I could not thing of his name. :wink_smile:

• Hi gang

If we're gonna talk about comedies here, how about a couple that Duke made? I get some good laughs watching McLintock as well as North to Alaska.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• We thought of a few more -

Back to the Future series, which had an underlying current of subtle humor throughout. We never seem to tire of watching them.

Singing in the Rain, especially that scene near the end where the whiny-voiced woman gets her real come-uppance - LOVE that scene!

Have you guys watched any Veggie Tales? Those are so funny (at least to adults) while at the same time touting good values for the kids.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• We have enjoyed Veggie Tales in our house as well. Kids get a kick out of them and they have a good message in them as well.

I had forgot about Planes, Trains and Automobiles. That movie kills me. "Those aren't pillows!!!!" That is even a good movie for right now as Thanksgiving is approaching next week.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Heres a great comedy not yet mentioned. How about: The Canterville Ghost w/ Robert Young and Charles Laughton (as the Canterville Ghost) I thought that Chas Laughton was nothing short of being totally brillient. Total change of pace from his role as ships Captain in: Mutiny on the Bounty.