Remember The Alamo

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,284 times. The latest Post () was by Gorch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• ON this date march 6th. 1836 the ALAMO fell and a legend began.
    IN 1905 the daughters of the republic of texas took control of the mission.
    but not until after the release of john wayne's film was it declared a national landmark. So the flm was a success.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Hi Bill, sorry I could not be here earlier than today, to celebrate the remembrance of those fine folks who died at the Alamo.

The local TV stations in years past, always used to show Dukes movie on that date. However, I have not seen it played for about 20 years now and it seems as if they no onger care to remind us about that historical event. Instead, they only play the regular shows. :-((

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• ON this date march 6th. 1836 the ALAMO fell and a legend began.
    IN 1905 the daughters of the republic of texas took control of the mission.
    but not until after the release of john wayne's film was it declared a national landmark. So the flm was a success.

Very interesting view point, Bill, Indeed, it Was a success

Chester :newyear:

• We could always try and remember the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo on this site

Just a thought

• We could always try and remember the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo on this site

Just a thought

JOHNC i've always had a special place in my heart for the Alamo since I was a young lad.years brfore Duke's movie.i visit battle fields all over this country.
    Revolutionary war
    Brandywine
    Trenton
    Princeton
    Germantown
    Yorktown
    Civil war
    Gettysburg
    Antietam
    Fredericksburg
    The war of 1812
    New Orleans
    Fort McHenry
    but the Alamo for some reason is like holy ground to me.
    I will always remember the Alamo

• A more memorable time to remember the Alamo with regards to Richard Widmark who passed away on March 24, Monday in Roxbury, Connecticut after a long illness. He was 93, and back in 1960 did a movie with Duke called The Alamo playing Jim Bowie. RIP Richard.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike, I was thinking the same thing-about not only watching The Alamo, but all of the other Richard Widmark movies I have. Such as: Judgement at Nuremberg, Alvarez Kelly, The Long Ships, Halls of Montezuma, The Frogmen and Hell and High Water.

I can't wait till I get Gems like: The Bedford Incident, Kiss of Death and others in.

• Again on march 6th I sat down to watch Dukes ALAMO. Not his greatest film but with out a doubt his most inspiring.

• How strange....by sheer coincidence that was the day I watched that movie!!!! Though I am kind of addicted at the moment, having watched Blood Alley, Tall In The Saddle, The Undefeated, Hondo, Red River , Haunted Gold ,Jet Pilot, Flying Tigers and The Sons Of Katie Elder this week !!!!!

• Seems like your on a Duke movie watching roller coaster ride. A ride we are all way to familiar with. What a ride, eh?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• They celebrated the day as a living history weekend complete with wagons, horse riders, reenactors and such. Frankly, im surp[rised that Austonions didn't freak out when they saw people with that nasty little invention called: GUNS.

• One of these years, I'm going to make it San Antonio for the High Holy Days as us Alamo fans refer to it. Alot of the posters over on JohnWayne-TheAlamo.com, meet in SA every year to watch and take part in the festivities, which includes a re-enactment of the fall of the Alamo. And from photos I've seen, the area around Alamo Plaza is quite loaded with people every March 6th to celebrate.

• Just received word on the local news yesterday that the celebration slated for March 6th, 2011 to commemorate the battle of the Alamo is being postponed for lack of funds. Phil Collins was scheduled to attend as well as others and a lot of festivities planned.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Just received word on the local news yesterday that the celebration slated for March 6th, 2011 to commemorate the battle of the Alamo is being postponed for lack of funds. Phil Collins was scheduled to attend as well as others and a lot of festivities planned.

That's a pity Bill, perhaps Mr. Collins will cough up some money!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The sponsors of the event had lined up a number of organizations willing to donate for this. But an ongoing investigation by the Texas Attorney General of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (who are in charge of the Alamo property) caused the organizations to back off. Right now, the Alamo event is on hold and only postponed. We'll have to see what develops!

"Not hardly!!!"

Edited once, last by Jay J. Foraker ().

• The sponsors of the event had lined up a number of organizations willing to donate for this. But an ongoing investigation by the Texas Attorney General of the Daughters of the Texas Republic (who are in charge of the Alamo property) caused the organizations to back off. Right now, the Alamo event is on hold and only postponed. We'll have to see what develops!

why did the Texas Attorney General of the Daughters of the Texas Republic caused the organizations to back off

• The DRT has split into two factions warring with each other. The group has been in charge of the Alamo since 1905. Now that emotions have become contentious, the Texas Attorney General's office is investigating to see if the Alamo needs to be put under control of the state! Because of all this bad publicity, these potential donors for the celebration are holding off.

"Not hardly!!!"

Edited once, last by Jay J. Foraker ().

• The only thing that was cancelled was the free concert in which Phil Collins, Ricky Skaggs and some other singing artists were going to perform on a stage in Alamo Plaza. Because of the DRT problems, alot of sponsors and local businesses were hesitant pitch in money. The reenactment of the Alamo battle and the other annual activities will still go on. Alot of Alamo purists weren't to enthralled over the concert being done in the plaza. They consider the whole area of where the entire Alamo complex stood to be sacred ground.

• The only thing that was cancelled was the free concert in which Phil Collins, Ricky Skaggs and some other singing artists were going to perform on a stage in Alamo Plaza. Because of the DRT problems, alot of sponsors and local businesses were hesitant pitch in money. The reenactment of the Alamo battle and the other annual activities will still go on. Alot of Alamo purists weren't to enthralled over the concert being done in the plaza. They consider the whole area of where the entire Alamo complex stood to be sacred ground.

Hi Jim, it IS sacred ground ;-)) I still intensly dislike ozzy ozbourne because that drug-addicted freak took a wizz on the Alamo. I didnt like him then but dislike the freak even more because of his bad taste and very bad error in judgement.