Hypothesis

There are 47 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,493 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I doubt that anyone posting on this board will dispute that John Wayne and Western movies went together like cake and ice cream. In other words, our Duke was unchallenged "King of the Cowboys" (and will probably always remain so).

But let us suppose, for the sake of argument, that Westerns had retained their once-indisputable popularity with the American public and another Hollywood player had risen to the top of that genre's movie heap.

Anyone care to nominate their favorite for the successor to Duke's crown as "King of the Cowboys",right up to the present day.

After due consideration, I think I'd have to choose Tom Selleck as a worthy heir to Duke's proud title. I think Tom is an eminently acceptable Western "white hat" (i.e., good guy). He was very believable as such in "Quigley Down Under" and in several other less noteworthy Western films.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Alright Stumpy, I'll take a shot here. I agree about Tom Selleck, however, if I had to pick just one of the newer generations of actors out there, I would say Russell Crowe. I thought he did a good job in The Quick and the Dead and he wasn't too bad in 3:10 to Yuma.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Most of you guys are going to hate me for saying this but I would have to add Kevin Costner's name to the list. I don't think there can be any denying that he has done as much for the western as anyone recently. Plus if the western was really going to take off again I think he would be right there.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Some would argue that he maybe the reason the western hasn't taken off in more recent times. :shades_smile:

Be honest with us, Kevin - can you swear on the Bible that you think "Dances With Wolves" and "Open Range" were bad Westerns?

• Be honest with us, Kevin - can you swear on the Bible that you think "Dances With Wolves" and "Open Range" were bad Westerns?

Yes, the simple fact that Costner was in them made the movies the worse for me. I'll admit that I enjoyed Open Range for just the few frames that didn't include KC. I can assure you those 2 DVD's will not be found in my collection.

• Alright Stumpy, I'll take a shot here. I agree about Tom Selleck, however, if I had to pick just one of the newer generations of actors out there, I would say Russell Crowe. I thought he did a good job in The Quick and the Dead and he wasn't too bad in 3:10 to Yuma.

I didn't see "Quick and the Dead" but I must agree that Russell was very good (as a black hat) in "3:10 To Yuma". However, I just can't visualize him becoming typecast as the Western successor to Duke. He's too versatile and is able to play any number of roles outside of the Western genre. I've seen almost all of his most successful movies and must say that he's been great in just about everything he played. My favorite Crowe role was as the cop in "L.A. Confidential". I liked him better in that than even his Oscar-winning role in "Gladiator".

• Yes, the simple fact that Costner was in them made the movies the worse for me. I'll admit that I enjoyed Open Range for just the few frames that didn't include KC. I can assure you those 2 DVD's will not be found in my collection.

I confess that I'm puzzled by what seems to me an irrational dislike of an actor who, while he'll certainly never approach the heights of others, has turned in credible performances in several movies. IMO, he does best in Westerns.

It's true Kevin has starred in several dogs but most any actor we can name has done the same, including our main man.

• I confess that I'm puzzled by what seems to me an irrational dislike of an actor who, while he'll certainly never approach the heights of others, has turned in credible performances in several movies. IMO, he does best in Westerns.

It's true Kevin has starred in several dogs but most any actor we can name has done the same, including our main man.

Costner has said in an interview, and I don't remember where I seen it, but he said of the western stars of the past and the movies made were terrible (not his quote), and should be destroyed for all our sakes. He thinks that today's westerns are original and he and today's writers and actors are the ones who can make a quality western movie. He didn't speak highly of the stars of the past including Stewart, Fonda, Cooper, and even Wayne.

That is one reason why I don't have much respect for Costner. He doesn't have a clue for these treasures that made the American culture what it is today. There are more. Maybe Kevin will tell you about the others.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Costner has said in an interview, and I don't remember where I seen it, but he said of the western stars of the past and the movies made were terrible (not his quote), and should be destroyed for all our sakes. He thinks that today's westerns are original and he and today's writers and actors are the ones who can make a quality western movie. He didn't speak highly of the stars of the past including Stewart, Fonda, Cooper, and even Wayne.

That is one reason why I don't have much respect for Costner. He doesn't have a clue for these treasures that made the American culture what it is today. There are more. Maybe Kevin will tell you about the others.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

If what you claim is true, then I can certainly understand the dislike. If true, that would make me dislike him too. But I've never heard or read of him making such statements and will research the matter further.

• Costner has said in an interview, and I don't remember where I seen it, but he said of the western stars of the past and the movies made were terrible (not his quote), and should be destroyed for all our sakes.

Several google searches using different word combinations have failed to turn up any evidence about such an interview (real or imagined). Can't you provide more concrete evidence, Mike? Such as when it was said, where it was said, the context in which he said it, etc. Unless I can read for myself such statements, I'd be inclined to view your claim with at least some degree of skepticism. As hearsay, in other words, and as you know, that's not accepted in a court of law. :wink:

• I have to agree with Stumpy here. I think Kevin C. is great in westerns and I would have to be shown the article in which he said those words to even begin to believe it. I can't find it in me to not like him. I can't see him being so disrespecfull to even utter a comment like that.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• IMO,Now since the number of actors
    whom the Western movies suits decreases,
    Kevin's existence is big,i suppose.
    and also Tommy Lee Jones.
    The more they come to Japan, the more fans they get.
    You are always welcome,Kevin,Tommy.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Well, I've kept searching for some evidence of the interview Mike mentions and came up with this in which some dude named Nick Nunziata (who sounds like a real flake) supposedly interviewed Costner and elicited the criticism of older westerns by Costner. I have yet to find the actual interview though. Apparently, the interview was done sometime in 2003, shortly before the release of "Open Range". This Nunziata guy apparently has a website called CHUD which is dedicated to things concerned with the film industry. Will keep searching.

• Though neither of these two have made a lot of westerns, 1 or 2 ... both Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer have done excellent jobs... in fact I would like to see them do more...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• I love Open Range, Dances With Wolves,Wyatt Earp AND Silverado, so I guess you could say I agree that Kevin Costner is a worthy successor but NEVER an equal! I'd also add that none of those films would be as enjoyable without the 'supporting' cast, I couldn't even bring myself to dislike Robert Duvall when he played 'Ned Pepper'. Silverado too maybe had another contender (an unlikely one) in Kevin Kline.

Anita

• I confess that I'm puzzled by what seems to me an irrational dislike of an actor who, while he'll certainly never approach the heights of others, has turned in credible performances in several movies. IMO, he does best in Westerns.

Don't be puzzled Stumpy, I just feel Kevin Costner can't act. :shades_smile:

So, I feel that any genre he acts in suffers with him in it, be it westerns, drama, comedy, etc.

BTW, I do believe I saw here on the JWMB or elsewhere on the web that Kevin isn't that fond of Duke. But I might be off base on that, can't remember.

EDIT: I found the thread here about the Spiegel article

• I couldn't even bring myself to dislike Robert Duvall when he played 'Ned Pepper'.

I agree that old Ned wasn't all that menacing a character - in fact, he was kind of a "friendly" outlaw, if there is such a thing. I've long thought that Duvall should have won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that role.