Latest AFI Top 100 movies of All time

There are 40 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,725 times. The latest Post () was by Emmanuel.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

smokey
    stumpy

the mircal on 34th street is it the orginial one or the one with richard attenburr(cant think how the rest of his name is spelt sorry) playing Santa, as that one is one of my favourites.

cheers smokey

Here is our dedicated thread on this film

Miracle On 34th Street

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• If they did a survey of Top 100 movies here you would get a high percentage of John Wayne movies on the list.

C'mon, Mike, whatever gave you that idea? I'm sure our members aren't a bit partial to Big John......:wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Wonder how many John Wayne films that John Wayne would have put in top 100 films?

Jim your list is miles better than AFI list!! At least now the AFI list is being opened up to the public it might reflect some element of reality but I wouldnt be surprised if some kind of gerrymandering was still being operated so some movies will never leave top 100.

Mike

• I wouldnt be surprised if some kind of gerrymandering was still being operated so some movies will never leave top 100.

Mike

You hit the nail on the head, Mike.

Even Bill, an AFI voter, agrees that a lot of the films on their list stink. But let's face it, there are certain interests who will go to great lengths to protect their turf. But of course, so will we. :wink_smile:

• Great second list Jim now you have me thinking about making a purchase or two, oh oh.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Forgot to add....I liked "The Wind & The Lion" too. Brian Keith's Teddy Roosevelt was priceless & I really liked it when Sean Connery's Raisuli faced off (by himself) with the bad guys on the beach. That scene kinda had a "True Grit" feel to it....:wink_smile:

• Wind & The Lion--- awesome film, agree about the beach scene.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• As a rabid movie fan since about the age of 10, I can truthfully say that during my 70 years, I’ve seen hundreds of films that I thought were wonderful. In my collection of about 800 DVDs, I have almost without exception every one of my all-time favorite movies.

Hello Stumpy,
    Your DVD collection and Top 100 list is awesome.
    you don't stick with any genre of film,don't you?
    I also had seen almost of all your first list, but about half of second list
    are not seen.
    BTW, because recent Asian(Japanese,HongKong,Chinese,Korean)movie is interesting,
    I'll recommend to you.:wink_smile:

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• you don't stick with any genre of film,don't you?

Well, it's true I like most genres, but Westerns are my favorite.

I've always been fascinated with the history of the old American West and have studied it pretty extensively. I also have long had a vast sympathy for the plight of the American Indian. What was done to them by European settlers in North and South America was shameful and in my opinion, at least as bad as what the Nazis did to the Jews, if not worse.

• Stumpy, have you ever read the book Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown? It is an excellent book about how the West was lost, written in the Indians version. It's a great book. I agree with you, what we did to the American Indian was inexcusable.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Stumpy, have you ever read the book Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown?
    Mark

Yes, Mark, I've read it at least twice.

Did you ever read "From Where The Sun Now Stands" by Will Henry? It's an admiring and sympathetic account of the flight of Chief Joseph and his Nez Perce people across the Western states, trying to escape capture by General Oliver O. Howard and his troops.
    Very good book. In fact, Will Henry wrote a number of other books (though they were fictional) that took the Indian side.

Another writer who has written several factual accounts of the Indian Wars (and with considerable sympathy for the Indian POV) is Paul I. Wellman.

• No, Stumpy, I havn't read "From Where The Sun Now Stands" by Will Henry. I will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• No, Stumpy, I havn't read "From Where The Sun Now Stands" by Will Henry. I will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip.

Mark

I can guarantee you'll like the {true} story, Mark.

Because of the way it ends, it's sad. But because it tells of the bravery and ingenuity of the Nez Perce in trying to win their freedom, it's inspirational too. I know I was {silently} cheering them on all the way.

• Stumpy it looks like you are into this Native American thing ! :tongue1:

Here is a little more Info and History that I know a little about on the Nez-Perce and Chief Joseph, and a little more Info from Your Part of the Country Texas, about the Great War Chief, Quanah Parker. :wink_smile:

The Info is from a book that I did for my Children on their Indian background a few years ago ! :teeth_smile:

http://www.ranch26bar.com/INDIANS.html

Bill
    :cowboy:

• The Info is from a book that I did for my Children on their Indian background a few years ago !

Thanks for the story, Bill.

I may, or may not, have a bit of Indian ancestry also. We have an old family legend that a female ancestor of mine (on my daddy's side) was snatched out of a cornfield by a Cherokee warrior in Georgia about 150 years ago. (This was while the Five Civilized Tribes were still living in Georgia and the Carolinas, before the Trail of Tears).

I've done a lot of genealogical research but have never been able to verify the story.

I really like how things turned out for Quanah. After he brought his band in (they never were captured by the bluecoats) and they were settled near Fort Sill (OK), he became a very successful cattle rancher.

• The AFI list could really use some revamping. Not to get into particular movies i'd change which for which, the 1998 list i'd only keep 28 of the films they listed. Of last years list, it was slightly less with only 25 films i'd leave on the list.

As for Stumpy's list, I concur with the rest of you in saying it's a much better list. The first list I picked 40 i'd keep, and the second list i picked 51 i'd keep.

I forget who said it best about choosing what type of movies to make a list from. Those here who know me a bit, you already know that i'd be choosing mostly War and Western movies with a smattering of other subjects thrown in. ;-))

A few in the "War movies Dept" that I felt should be listed include: Decision Before Dawn, The Password is Courage, The Colditz Story, Time Limit, Target Zero, Dunkirk, ANZACS, The Fighting 69th, To Hell and Back, Sergeant York, Gettysburg, Ironclads, Treasure Island (Charlton Hestons version) Sands of Iwo Jima, Back to Bataan, Prisoner of War (the Ronald Reagan version) Charge of the Light Brigade (Flynn) Gunga Din, Beau Geste (Gary Cooper) Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare.

Westerns: Big Jake, Rio Lobo, Arrowhead, The Savage, Pillars of the Sky, The Last Wagon, Shenandoah, The Mountain Men, Hondo, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Vera Cruz. Just to name a few.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Last year I posted my semi-objective "100 best" movies list. Now here's my entirely subjective "100 movies I like to watch" list, only what can be considered American. I omitted some good films that make me too sad, angry or disgusted, and included bad ones that make me feel very good.

Blache Herbert, Smith Winchell. The Saphead. 1921.
    Chaplin Charles. The Kid. 1921.
    Chaplin Charles. The Gold rush. 1925
    Chaplin Charles. The Circus. 1928
    Keaton Buster. Three ages. 1923
    Keaton Buster. Our hospitality. 1923
    Keaton Buster, Crisp Donald. The Navigator. 1924
    Keaton Buster. Sherlock Jr. 1924
    Keaton Buster. Seven chances. 1925
    Keaton Buster. Go West. 1925
    Keaton Buster. Battling Butler. 1926
    Keaton Buster, Bruckman Clyde. The General. 1927
    Keaton Buster, Reisner Charles. Steamboat Bill Jr. 1928
    Keaton Buster, Horne James. The College. 1927
    Sedgwick Edward. The Cameraman. 1928

Capra Frank. Mr Deeds goes to town. 1936
    Chaplin Charles. City lights. 1931
    Chaplin Charles. The Modern times. 1936
    Ford John. Stagecoach. 1939
    Sedgwick Edward. Parlor, bedroom and bath. 1931

Chaplin Charles. The Great dictator. 1940
    Chaplin Charles. Monsieur Verdoux. 1947
    Cline Edward. The Villain still pursued her. 1940
    Curtiz Michael. Casablanca. 1943
    Ford John. The Grapes of wrath. 1940
    Ford John. 3 Godfathers. 1948
    Ford John. Fort Apache. 1948.
    Ford John. She Wore a yellow ribbon. 1949.
    Grant James. Angel and the Badman. 1947.
    Hawks Howard. Red River. 1948
    Hitchcock Alfred. Spellbound. 1945
    Lamont Charles. That’s the spirit. 1945
    Ludwig Edward. Wake of the Red Witch. 1948.
    Marin Edwin. Tall in the saddle. 1944.
    Sturges Preston. The Lady Eve. 1941
    Rogell Albert. Li’l Abner. 1940

Arnold Jack. The Mouse that roared. 1959
    Brooks Richard. Cat on a hot tin roof. 1958
    Ford John. Rio Grande. 1950.
    Ford John. The Quiet man. 1952.
    Ford John. The Searchers. 1956
    Ford John. The Horse soldiers. 1959
    Hawks Howard. Rio Bravo. 1959
    Hitchcock Alfred. Rear window. 1954
    Huston John. The African Queen. 1951
    Kazan Elia. On the Waterfront. 1954
    Lean David. The Bridge on the river Kwai. 1957
    Lumet Sidney. 12 angry men. 1957
    Ray Nicholas. Rebel without a cause. 1955
    Wilder Billy. Sunset Blvd. 1950
    Wilder Billy. Some like it hot. 1959

Ford John. Donovan’s Reef. 1963
    Hathaway Henry. North to Alaska. 1960
    Kubrick Stanley. Dr. Strangelove. 1964.
    Hathaway Henry. The Sons of Katie Elder. 1965
    Hathaway Henry. True grit. 1969
    Hawks Howard. Hatari! 1962
    Hawks Howard. El Dorado. 1966
    Kennedy Burt. The War wagon. 1967.
    Polanski Roman. The Fearless vampire killers. 1966
    Post Ted. Hang ’em high. 1968
    Silverstein Elliot. Cat Ballou. 1965

Altman Robert. McCabe & Mrs. Miller. 1971
    Ashby Hal. Being there. 1979
    Eastwood Clint. High plains drifter. 1973
    Eastwood Clint. The Outlaw Josey Wales. 1976
    Forman Milos. One flew over the cuckoo's nest. 1975
    Hawks Howard. Rio Lobo. 1970
    Hickox Douglas. Brannigan. 1975
    McLaglen Andrew. Chisum. 1970
    McLaglen Andrew. Cahill U.S. Marshal. 1973
    Millar Stuart. Rooster Cogburn. 1975.
    Roeg Nicolas. The Man who fell to Earth. 1976
    Rydell Mark. The Cowboys. 1972
    Sharman Jim. The Rocky horror picture show. 1975
    Sherman George. Big Jake. 1971
    Siegel Don. Dirty Harry. 1971

Eastwood Clint. Pale rider. 1985
    Landis John. The Blues Brothers. 1980
    Levinson Barry. The Rainman. 1988
    Lynch David. Dune. 1984
    Scott Ridley. Blade runner. 1982
    Scott Tony. The Hunger. 1983
    Soderbergh Steven. Sex, lies and videotape. 1989

Cameron James. Terminator 2. Judgment Day. 1991.
    Costner Kevin. Dances with wolves. 1990
    Eastwood Clint. The Unforgiven. 1992
    Henson Jim. Labyrinth. 1994
    Rouch Jay. Austin Powers – The Spy who shagged me. 1999.
    Schnabel Julian. Basquiat. 1996
    Stone Oliver. The Doors. 1991
    Verhoeven Paul. Total recall. 1990

Columbus Chris. Harry Potter and Philosopher’s stone. 2001
    Columbus Chris. Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets. 2002
    Cuarón Alfonso.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. 2004
    Newell Mike. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. 2005
    Yates David. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. 2007
    Jackson Peter. The Lord of the rings: Fellowship of the ring. 2001
    Jackson Peter. The Lord of the rings: The Two Towers. 2002
    Jackson Peter. The Lord of the rings: The Return of the King. 2003

I don't believe in surrenders.