Anyone want to act in a Western?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,904 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I’ve got a stage play I’ve written and am trying to produce, (and I'm even acting in it!) for The Red River Theater Company called "Shooting Sundown". It’s a comedy, that’s a lot like the old Bob Hope movies…the story of a cowardly comedic character that gets placed in dangerous situations. It’s also, somewhat, a parody of my favorite movie Rio Bravo (It’s not an out and out parody, but it includes similar themes). Red River Theater company is a non profit community theater that operates out of the Bonham, Texas area. The theater it’s self is an old high school building East of Bonham. To tell you more about the play, this is a cut-and-pasted portion of what the original casting call said…

As the story goes, Layne "Sundown" Robbins, sometimes called the Sundown Kid is a cowardly rogue and despite being the worst shot in the West, he has an undeserved and unwanted media-inspired reputation as a gunslinger and an outlaw, wanted dead or alive! Now, tired of running scared, he has one chance to clear his name by taking a deputy's badge and bringing a criminal to justice. In doing this he faces the opposition of an evil town boss, a psychotic gunslinger, and a near-sighted bounty hunter with a vengeance, not to mention his own, unreliable, paranoid palomino horse! As the sun sets in Rio Rojo, "Sundown" Robbins may have to live up to his reputation, for the first time, and possibly his last.

The one character we are having a hard time casting is a young outlaw named "Marvin Gilhooley". He’s a young guy (And by that we could mean anyone from the upper teens to 30’s or even older if you can pull off a young guy on stage!). He’s an educated kid from the east, who would rather see himself as a Billy-the-Kid type.

The play is just good clean, family fun, and is set to open and run the last two weekends in June (If we can get a good cast!) So if any of you on this sight are in the Bonham or in the surrounding (North Texas and Southern Oklahoma) area who are interested…or know someone who might be, you can contact me at [email protected], I can put you in touch with the director (Who co-wrote the play with me).

The Red River Theater sight is Redrivertheatre.com .

This is the first time I’ve tried my hand at producing, so wish me luck!

Zane

• I can't act a lick, but let me wish you good luck!!!!!

GT can't lick an act either :teeth_smile: but, I will agree with him in saying that neither he nor I, can act worth a darn. :teeth_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• good luck maverick with this your first step into production. eagerly wait to here how it went

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hey. thanks for good luck wishes. I need all the luck I can get!

I think, as of tonight, I have my cast in place. If I can only keep them there! (I'm thinking of acting like Tom Dunson in Red River and making 'em sign up, and threaten to shoot them if they quit!)

Anyway, I think it's a good cast, now comes the hard part...I have to memorize all of the lines I wrote for my character (Which may not be easy, because I rewrote the thing many, many times!) It'll be fun.

As we get closer to opening night, I'll let yall know if this thing flies or flops!

• Maverick, Boy are you going to have Fun, But Hard Work Also !
    Back in the 1980 we did a T.V. Series for Hearst A.B.C. that would later become Hearst Entertainment and was done here in Sedona, Arizona and Boy did we have Fun, and by the time we had completed the 7 one Hour Shows, we had Killed Everyone But The Camera Man !!!
    :stunned:
    Below is One of the Last Scenes in the series where I am a Crooked Gambler and Get Shot by one of the Gunfighters.
    :yeaahh:
    http://www.ranch26bar.com/GUNFIGHTERS.html

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Don't tell us what happens, don't want to spoil the movie! :teeth_smile:

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote