Support The Troops.

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,835 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I don't normally begin threads like this, however I feel this is a worthwhile incentive for anyone who wants to support the troops serving in Afghanistan.

Below are the details that were emailed to myself.

For those that wish to send parcels to servicemen in Afghanistan what you do is take your parcel (anything 2kg or less can be sent free) to the Post Office, fill in a custom slip detailing what is in the parcel and address it to

Major M. Hudson
    OC Imjim Company
    Operation Herrick 8
    BFPO 792

It is welcomed that anyone sending gifts includes their name and address so that Major Hudson can send them a thank you letter, people issuing gifts may include a card thanking the troops for their work in afghanistan, although they can also send it anonymously if they wish. If anyone has several parcels e.g. 4 parcels to send write on each parcel 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc etc. Some of the servicemen don't get much mail so a little parcel will make their day.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• good on you robbie, i do my bit by supporting our own troops in afghanistan, if my brothers posting goes ahead he will be there sometime next year

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Same here Robbie.
    Most of us, I'm sure agree,
    we're not happy with our troops being,
    put in harms way, when there seems no pressing reason.
    However, once they there, they
    should command our utmost, love, respect and support.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• we're not happy with our troops being,
    put in harms way, when there seems no pressing reason.

Keith,
    IMO, the fact that Islamic fanatics want to destroy our way of life and make all of us conform to their so-called "sharia law" seems to me to be enough pressing reason.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I appreciate what you are doing Robbie, and taking the first step in honoring these soldiers like Major Hudson.

We must support our troops because they are supporting our lives. We live in a different world today, and it is so important be aware of what's going on out there. We need these people or we may loose something that we have taken for granted for many years.

Growing up I was in fear of the cold war. It seemed that things were under control with those countries, but this is different. And I don't see control. Support Our Troops, and honor them for their service. They earned it!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Ever since Vietnam, the attitudes of most civilians toward those who fight and die for them brings to mind Kipling's "Tommy".

Waaaaaay too many civilians seem to adopt an attitude of "out of sight; out of mind".

• Hi

It is a strange feeling watching people you know and like going off to serve in the two theatres, and it is great when you shake hands with them later after they have returned. It is a comaraderie which you are proud to be among.

I should imagine it similar in the states'

The Sun Newspaper which is a tabloid known for a parady that the people who read it don't care who runs the governemnt as long as they have big t***s, has taken up the case of the wounded coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq. The paper issued a bracelet with the proceeds going to building a better rehabilitation unit for them.

The rubber band light and dark blue and red inscribed HELP FOR HEROES, at £2.00 it is making millions towards this very worthy cause. I managed to get one last week when Portsmouth held a Meet Your Navy weekend, not a great deal of money but every bit helps.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I suppose I have much more empathy for people in the military than ordinary civilians because "I've been there; done that".

For 25 years I served in a career that paid me peanuts compared to civilians; that frequently separated me from loved ones; that sometimes exposed me to death or maimimg; that prevented me and my family from putting down roots by buying a home (the military moved us about every 3 or 4 years to new assignments).

Because of that experience, I support without reservation people in uniform who are nowadays going through the same thing to protect our Western countries and defend our way of life. And I just don't understand why all civilians don't have that same sense of appreciation for our men and women in uniform.

Following Vietnam, I became so bitter toward this country and it's people because of the way Vietnam vets had been treated that I actually began to hate America, its' government and it's civilian citizens. (This from a person who had grown up as one of the most patriotic people you can ever imagine.)

About 3 or 4 years before she died, I had a total breakdown in relations with my mother because I learned she had voted for Bill Clinton twice and I loathed that Vietnam draft-dodging SOB with a passion. Both I and my younger brother had served two tours in Vietnam and I just couldn't understand how a mother who had had two sons over there could vote for a person who had refused to serve. Anyway, I broke off all relations with her and now I sometimes regret it because let's face it, no stinkin' politician is worth divorcing yourself from your mother.

Anyway, when I see Americans, or Brits, or Canadians, or Poles or any of the other people who've had troops serve in Afghanistan or Iraq show what I consider proper respect and appreciation for their fighting men and women, it gives me a very warm feeling toward them. I think a lot of contemporary Americans have a deep sense of guilt toward the way they treated Vietnam veterans because nowadays, they're much more supportive of the troops. Even the Dummicrats who are always criticizing Bush for getting us into Iraq (and I criticize him too) have, for the most part, shown support for our troops.

• Hi Chester

Here is the link for it.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• SOS Business Awareness

I like that "Who Cares Wins" shown on the link you provided, Rob. As we know, that's a take-off on the SAS motto of "Who Dares Wins".

• Because of that experience, I support without reservation people in uniform who are nowadays going through the same thing to protect our Western countries and defend our way of life. And I just don't understand why all civilians don't have that same sense of appreciation for our men and women in uniform.

Somehow, we missed some of the later discussion in this thread back in August. Jim, I think ALL civilians don't have that same sense of appreciation for our men and women in uniform because they don't have a clue of the sacrifices being made. They must not have a close friend or family member who is serving, and maybe never known anybody who was in the military at any time in history. They are clueless. Very sad.

Did your mom give any reason for voting for Clinton? I am so sorry it caused estrangement.

Hi Chester

Here is the link for it.

Most belatedly, thank you for that!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Jim, I think ALL civilians don't have that same sense of appreciation for our men and women in uniform because they don't have a clue of the sacrifices being made. They must not have a close friend or family member who is serving, and maybe never known anybody who was in the military at any time in history. They are clueless. Very sad.

You're right, Sue, probably 98 percent of the people in this country (and the other countries who have people in Iraq or Afghanistan) go merrily on their way without a thought for the men and women who are giving their all to keep the rest of us safe from our enemies. Their attitude (especially those on the left who give aid and comfort to our enemies) infuriates me. I would gladly stand them against a wall for their traitorous behavior.

Did your mom give any reason for voting for Clinton? I am so sorry it caused estrangement.

I think my Mom was disgusted with Bush 1. So was I but I would have cut off my arm before voting for him. I just didn't vote in '92. Or '96 either for that matter.

• They have "Drives" around in my area at times. The last one I remember we had-was a Cookie Drive. I had the address to a unit of Marines from my area-who were in Iraq. I was able to send them out a decent little package-which also contained Cookies and other good stuff. Thankfully, these Gents are all now back here-at least for the time being. I also sent along a few Christmas cards last time out.

A suggestion, why don't we here make a contribution sent to a trusted member-and let them pick out some good things to send over there? I'd be willing to donate some monies for this.

Best regards-C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..