General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,161,242 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• He was a great composer.

I agree. He wrote the beautiful scores to "Doctor Zhivago" and "Witness", two of my all-time favorite films. And one of their most appealing features was the music.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• British author James G. Ballard has died at 78 from prostate cancer. In case you don't his work, he wrote Empire Of The Sun, an autobiographical novel of his time spent as a kid in a Japanese prison camp. It was later made into a movie from Steven Speilberg and starred a young Christian Bale as Ballard. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. Ballard also wrote Crash which was also made into a movie about people who get sexual turn ons from car crashes. That starred James Spader and Holly Hunter.

• Ken Annakin director of Longest Day Battle of the Bulge and Magnificent Men & Their Flying Mchines and many Disney comedies.

Ken Annakin, after receiving an honorary doctorate from the University of Hull in 2002

Published Date: 24 April 2009

KEN Annakin, the Beverley-born director whose credits included the World War II epics Battle of the Bulge and The Longest Day, has died.
    The 94-year-old died at his Beverly Hills home, according to his daughter, Deborah Peters.

His health had been failing since he had a heart attack and stroke within a day of each other in February.

Annakin had previously been in good health and always talked about making more films, even though he had not directed since the early 1990s, his daughter said.

"He was absolutely fine, other than old age," Ms Peters said. "He was walking and mobile, chatting and working, still trying to get films made. I don't think anybody like that ever really stops."

Annakin dabbled in many genres, from action comedies and family fare to crime drama and swashbuckling romance.

He was best-known for his war sagas, 1965's Battle of the Bulge with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Robert Shaw and Telly Savalas and 1962's The Longest Day, which he co-directed with Andrew Marton and Bernhard Wicki.

Probably his most-beloved film was 1960's Swiss Family Robinson, one of a series of family adventures Annakin made for Walt Disney Pictures starting in the 1950s.

Born August 10, 1914, Annakin travelled in his youth to Australia, New Zealand and the United States, then sold insurance, cars and advertising back in England.

He got his start as a feature film-maker with 1947's Holiday Camp. In 2002, he was honoured with an OBE

• May they both Rest in Peace.

The last of the "Bedford Boys" passed awy a few days ago. I don't have hi name on hand but he was one of I think 40 men who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He was wounded in that battle while at least 22 or more of those Bedford Boys, were killed while assaulting Omaha Beach.

If nobody knows about these men-they were all from the small town of Bedford, Virginia and had been part of a State Guard unit that was activated and sent to Europe. These men all knew each other very well as well as everyone else in town.

May all of these men Rest in Peace as well :(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Being a huge Gunsmoke fan, & being that today is the day, I borrowed this post from a friend on another Forum, but it definitely deserves it:

Mr. Ken Curtis, AKA Festus died 18 years ago today...

Birth: Jul. 2, 1916
    Death: Apr. 28, 1991

Best known for his long-running role as Festus, the cantankerous deputy in the long-running TV series "Gunsmoke". Born Curtis Wane Gates in Lamar, Colorado to Dan Gates and Millie Sneed Gates. His father was Sheriff of Las Animas, Colorado. He worked at the town jail and played the saxophone in high school. He served in the Army during World War II. He attended Colorado College for a time wanting to study medicine but was so successful as a singer-songwriter that he left college and got a job in Los Angeles in 1938 as a singer on NBC Radio. He was a vocalist in the Tommy Dorsey orchestra. He entered films in the late 1940s in a series of low-budget westerns for Columbia Pictures. He then joined the singing group "Sons of the Pioneers." They did the soundtrack of John Ford's 1950 movie, "Wagonmaster." Curtis became a stock player with Ward Bond, Ben Johnson and Harry Carey in the Ford Production Company. At the time, he was married to Ford's daughter, Barbara. His film debut was in "Sheriff of Tombstone" (1941). His other film credits include: "Out of the Depths" (1946), "Cowboy Blues" (1946), "Rio Grande" (1950), "The Quiet Man" (1952), "Mister Roberts" (1955), "The Searchers" (1956), "The Wings of Eagles" (1957), "The Last Hurrah" (1958), "The Horse Soldiers" (1959), "The Alamo" (1960), "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964), Disney's animated "Robin Hood" (1973) as the voice of Nutsy, "Pony Express Rider" (1976), and "Lost" (1983) his last theatrical film. We know him best for his TV work which included regular roles on "Ripcord" (1961-63), "Gunsmoke" (1964-75), "How the West Was Won" (1978), and "Yellow Rose" (1983-84). He also appeared in mini-series and made for TV movies and guest starred on many TV series. He died in his sleep of natural causes in Fresno, California, at age 74.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

Edited once, last by Duke_Wayne ().

• Hi

On the same day as Ken Annakin died the cinematographer and director Jack Cardiff passed away. He did Legend of the Lost with Duke and Sophia Loren. Apparently he was infatuated with Loren and followed her everywhere.
    RIP Jack.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I can't believe it's already been 18 years since he passed away. I remember seeing him apear in at least one episode of In the Heat of the Night w/ Carroll O'Connor. I don't remember anything much about that episode but do remember at how shocked I was with how ill he appeared. It looked like he had skin cancer-but I don't know if he did have skin cancer-but appeared to have it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I don't blame him one bit. I would've followed her everywhere myself. And even now, she still looks fantastic.

• Dom was a good one. May he rest in peace.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Enjoyed him in Blazing Saddles even if was a cameo appearance. May you rest in peace Dom.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote