General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,182,414 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Really hated to read this but realistically, it comes to all of us sooner or later. He lived a full life and then some. He and Mary were among my favorite musicians when I was a teenager in the Fifties. Loved their "How High the Moon" among others. RIP, Paul.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Les Paul's genius will be missed and he will be mourned. He built some sweet guitars. The Cherry Sunburst is my favorite, though Old Black is a close second. If you ever played one you know what I mean.:wink_smile:

• Les Paul's genius will be missed and he will be mourned. He built some sweet guitars. The Cherry Sunburst is my favorite, though Old Black is a close second. If you ever played one you know what I mean.:wink_smile:

Well, Jeff, I never learned to play one but sure love listening to 'em.

• [extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

R.I.P. Les. One of the few early rock n' roll legends left passes on. A great musical innovator & genius. You will be missed.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Thanks loads for that posting, ej. Brought back some great memories.

That was music, unlike most of the garbage they call music today. I just never have understood why kids nowadays don't groove on the older sounds.

• I wish there was some way with the system on this site to upload music. I'm a nostalgic person and have tons of good music from the Forties, Fifties, Sixties and even Seventies sounds. I kinda stopped listening when hard rock came along.

I could have you older folks hopping with some of the music I have on hand. :teeth_smile:

• Thanks loads for that posting, ej. Brought back some great memories.

That was music, unlike most of the garbage they call music today. I just never have understood why kids nowadays don't groove on the older sounds.

The younger people say to me you are showing you age.:biggrin:
    I personally stopped listening to secular music newer than 1978. Some Creed and GNR after that, but that is it.
    I still need to listen to classical to cleanse the ear canals.:wink:

• The younger people say to me you are showing you age.:biggrin:

I've never tried to hide the fact that I'm in my 70s, Jeff. And quite frankly, I think we old geezers have more common sense, a higher standard of morals and manners, and received a much better basic education than the so-called Generation Xers. Or even many of the Woodstock generation.

It's funny - my younger son (born in 1963) is extremely successful in his chosen field (banking) and I'm proud of him. At the same time, I have a considerable degree of contempt for the lifestyle he represents. He's a yuppie baby boomer who drinks nothing but latte and imported beers, spoils his two kids (and his wife) rotten, and is hip to all the latest cultural developments. Me....I'm just an old plain-spoken country boy who chose a career (military) that most boomers would feel is beneath them. (Just between us, I often feel my banker son looks down upon his old man as a dinosaur whose time has passed.:wink_smile:)

That's okay, because I love all kinds of music, except hip-hop, opera and hard rock.

• He's a yuppie baby boomer who drinks nothing but latte and imported beers, spoils his two kids (and his wife) rotten, and is hip to all the latest cultural developments.

Stumpy, I ran with that crowd, and by God's grace He brought me out of it and brought me back to my roots. My Wife and I did real well and during the whole time making very good money we have nothing to show for it. We have done more since being taken down a peg and being able to invest some funds. We will most likely never be able to retire, but God has always taken care of us and I don't think He will forget how to in the future.
    My M-N-Law really dislikes my biker look and would rather the corporate look, but that just is not me. I am a Yankee Rebel, born and bred, but fortunately saved by grace.

• Sorry he died the way he did. I don't wish it on anyone, including Ted Kennedy. I know, my father suffered with cancer 8 years ago, and it was terrible. So, I will say that I wouldn't wish cancer to my worst enemy.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Robert Novak was a conservative commentator that had the same cancer Ted Kennedy had. Why didn't the media make such a fuss when Robert died on August 18 as they did for ole Teddy? Anyway he and Rowland Evans started a column called Evans-Novak Political Report.

A little late but RIP Robert.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Also passing away this week were writer Dominick Dunne and songwriter Ellie Greenwich. Dunne was a well known author who also hosted a show on Court TV about how rich and famous people run afoul of the law. He lost his daughter Dominique years ago to murder by here boyfriend and his son Griffin is a well known actor.
    Ellie Greenwich is considered one of the most prolific songwriters of the last 50 years. Back in the 60's, her and her then husband Jeff Barry, wrote some of the most famous rock and roll songs ever heard. They worked with Phil Spector during Spectors glory years and wrote songs like Be My Baby, Da Doo Ron Ron, Then He Kissed Me, Leader Of The Pack, Hanky Panky, Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Tell Laura I Love Her, Chapel Of Love and, River Deep Mountain High are just some of the songs she wrote.

Dunne was 83
    Greenwich was 68

• Sorry he died the way he did. I don't wish it on anyone, including Ted Kennedy. I know, my father suffered with cancer 8 years ago, and it was terrible. So, I will say that I wouldn't wish cancer to my worst enemy.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

I agree Hondo. My Mom had cancer all throughout her life and finally her last time with other complications took her life.

• This guy told it the way he saw it. The Washington Libs were glad to see him out of the public.