What I am doing today --- enjoying etc

There are 193 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,623 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• well i am on probation for 3 months :))): in the deli department, i get to slice meat like cold hams, pork, chicken loaf, veal german, and some of the salami's as requested. i also get to cook up chickens which we sell hot for quick and easy dinner's/lunches. haven't lost any fingers yet :))):. plenty of skin but no fingers.
    i feel kind of lucky and believe that i will get the job isn't true "it comes to those who wait" and i have been waiting for some time now so it is now my turn.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• So . . . would you guys be willing to share how much you paid for your new "toy"?

Chester :newyear:

Let's see, I think I paid over $1200 for my baby, but I got everything including the monitor, printer (wireless), and camcorder. This is a great deal, with no interest for 9 months. I think I'll have it paid off by then.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I went today and renewed my driver's license, which expires 5 January.

I was worried about passing the eye test as my vision has deteriorated markedly due to cataracts I've developed over the past couple of years. I think the examiner gave me a break on the vision test. She had me repeat the numbers a couple of times but after the second time she said okay without commenting on my obvious missed calls, took my picture and issued me a temporary license until DPS sends me a permanent (or rather an extended) license good for 5 years. Whew - close call.

I can still see fairly well for a distance but my close-up vision is getting pretty chancy.

Two or three months ago I went for my annual eye exam and the doctor said my cataracts hadn't gotten much worse than last year but that he would schedule me for cataract surgery if I wanted it. At first I thought about going ahead and having it done but changed my mind after hearing the cost, which would be around 7 thou for both eyes.

Medicare (substitute taxpayers for Medicare) would pay almost all the costs but I figure I only have a few more years left anyway and didn't want to saddle the taxpayers with that expense. Also, during the pre-op exam, they show you a video which kinda explains the process and it said that although it's a very rare occurrence, sometimes people lose their vision completely after the operation. I thought to myself "why take the chance".

Anyway, that license renewal was my biggest event that took place today.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, I hardly enjoyed it . . . but I discovered that our turtle tank was down about 3-4 gallons (it's only holds 10 gallons) overnight. He obviously hadn't drunk the water, and I discovered the filter was backed up and was overflowing over the side. It was nasty, but I was thankful the tank itself wasn't leaking. So now Kirby, our red-eared slider, has a nice new clean tank with new water after two hours of work. Once I finished that I moved on to the 25 gallon gold fish tank, which had also gotten pretty nasty. That only took about an hour and a half.

But they are much nicer to look at now.

Regarding the drivers license renewal, coincidentally I went down and renewed mine about a month ago. It went fairly smoothly. I also had to take care of some car registration fees, that had late fees, for a total of $250. This is a case where being friendly with the DMV ladies pays off.
    After typing away furiously for a couple of minutes, she looked up at me and said, "That'll be $52, please." Wow, you can bet the old checkbook flew out of my pocket pretty doggone fast! :embaressed_smile:

Chester

• I am glad work goes well Smokey. Hondo nothing feels better then a great deal on something you need. Stumpy and Chester you guys are smooth operators. I had a good day. Merry Christmas the joy of the season to you and have one with me sometime near new years murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Calories are in attack mode must shore up the walls of resistance and focuss on the weight goal. Some casualties expected in a fight like this ( decades old )

• Workin' a double shift today! I think our department is about the only one in, and we get some free food at least for being here. Hope everyone has a great day!

• Just got done shoveling and blowing snow. We got 5 inches overnight and another 5-8 coming tonight. More tomorrow through Saturday evening. Storm totals look to be 12-18 inches for our area. WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• have 4 days off dont have to go back till tuesday but have to do 3 hours in the morning on New Years day from 7am -10am then the rest of the day is all mine

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Going up the Valley ( Fraser ) to visit a cousins & an aunt and then going into town as two local boys are performing on stage with a local musician Jerry Doucette. Jerry did the hit Mama let him play. These lads played down in Nashville and they are quite young so the future is looking promising. The sun is cresting over the neighbors roof and she looks to be a bang up heck of a day. Mind you 4 days off work can sneak a smile into your disposition.

• Today, I am cleaning out my computer room. We are getting ready to start selling our house. So we are trying to make our house look like it has more room in it by cleaning out stuff.

In case you are wondering, this is a planned sell. We bought some land awhile ago and we are looking to build a house. Tough economic times be damed, it has been our plan for quite awhile so we are moving forward with it. This is not fun either!!

-John Wayne

• Today, I am cleaning out my computer room. We are getting ready to start selling our house. So we are trying to make our house look like it has more room in it by cleaning out stuff.

In case you are wondering, this is a planned sell. We bought some land awhile ago and we are looking to build a house. Tough economic times be damed, it has been our plan for quite awhile so we are moving forward with it. This is not fun either!!

Are ya gonna move out into the boonies, Todd? Is your land still located in or around Plainview, or elsewhere in Minnesota?

Something that has always puzzled me - how did an employee of Big Blue land in a small community like Plainview?

• Our land is about 6 miles south of us on the outskirts of an even smaller town called Elgin, MN. So our kids will not be changing schools and we don't have to have big moving trucks or anything as drastic as that.

As far as an employee of Big Blue living in a small town. I do service for them so I don't need to be at a IBM location to do my work. That being said, my office is located at the IBM Rochester, MN location and that is about 22 miles from where I live in Plainview. IBM Rochester is the home of IBM's largest facility under 1 roof, there are bigger sites but the building in Rochester is the biggest under 1 roof. There claim to fame is the Sys 36, 38 and AS/400 systems and related software. Our new home will actually be closer to Rochester.......We used to live in Rochester but we wanted to raise our kids in a small town and you get more of a house for alot less once you move out of the Rochester, MN vicinity.

-John Wayne

• Our land is about 6 miles south of us on the outskirts of an even smaller town called Elgin, MN. So our kids will not be changing schools and we don't have to have big moving trucks or anything as drastic as that.

We used to live in Rochester but we wanted to raise our kids in a small town and you get more of a house for alot less once you move out of the Rochester, MN vicinity.

Good for you and the missus, Todd. Even better for the youngsters.

• I've been cleaning out my office for the new year. This is big, because it is the time I've been waiting for a few years now. I am about to get rid of a job and start my career in the next few months, so I can get out of this rat race of being in a job (just over broke). It's an aggressive move, but it is one that will pay big dividens when I get through in a few days. I have been buying things like a politician, and now I must pay the piper (unkike a politian). Anyway, here goes 2010 and the changes that will happen.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote