What I am doing today --- enjoying etc

There are 193 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,792 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Writing comedy for my first stand-up comedy gig in 10 years! I got invited to be a part of a comedy show at the same theater we presented my western last year. I haven't done it in a while, so wish me luck! The show is next weekend!

So far I think I have a pretty good set, most of it I like, but I'm still struggling with the opening lines! It's all about being a cowboy in Dallas! (For those of you who are not from Texas, Dallas is a part of Texas according to the map, but once you get there, you wouldn't know it! Part of my bit is about some guy with pink and blue hair, tattoos, and more facial piercings than a voodoo doll, looking at my cowboy hat and boots, and saying, "Dude, you're strange!")

There's also a nod to The Duke in my act; after trashing Dr. Phil (a fellow Texan I hate!), I go into a bit about a real Texas cowboy, ex-marine, Doctor named Dr. Duke who handles the wackos in a much different way!

Anyway, I'm trying to finish up that opening bit, so wish me luck!

• I am in the process of extending our patio, and putting in pavers and a wall. Great work and project, but the roots from our trees are a killer. Wish we were doing something else right now. It is pretty hot and humid, and the ole shovel is getting a work out, but it is coming along. Hope to get it done by the end of the month.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• enjoying day 2 of my holidays,no night shift for me next week.
    and watching England giving the Aussies a drubbing

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I've got a brass band concert in Kirkcudbright tomorrrow night so have spent the night polishing my Bb Bass !! Gave up after 3 hours! Must do it more often.....

• Well, I did my stand-up comedy act, Friday night and Saturday night, and It went very well!

It was an all comedy show, with 4 of us doing stand up comedy mixed in with several skits. I did a couple of skits, one, portraying a James Cagney style gangster in a parody of "American Idol' (The skit was called "Hit Man Auditions", and I was one of the Judges) and one called 'Interrupters Anonymous", Which was a parody of the 12 step programs (The title says it all, it was complete chaos, sort of a modern version of something the Marx Brothers would do).

But the highlight; I got to do stand-up comedy for the first time in about 10 years, and, as they say in the comedy world, I killed!

There was one comedian who is much, much, much, funnier than I am, but unfortunately, his material was aimed at a Dallas night club audience (i.e. big city drunks!) while the small town crowd related better to material based on my Cowboy/Country Music background.

It was a very good weekend! I may have the stand-up comedy bug again!

• Hello, ZSMaverick. I'm glad it went great for you. Did anyone by chance tape it for you? If so, see if you can get it posted on youtube and share it with the rest of us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hello, ZSMaverick. I'm glad it went great for you. Did anyone by chance tape it for you? If so, see if you can get it posted on youtube and share it with the rest of us.

Mark

Yep, The director had his wife record both shows, I think. I know Saturday night's show was recorded, I hope Friday nights was as well, we had a much better, more responsive crowd that night. But, I should get a copy in a few weeks, I'll keep you informed on that.

Meanwhile, you can go to www.redrivertheatre.com and check out photos (I don't know how long it will take them to post them) Go to that sight, on the navigation menu click photo galleries. If they'e not up yet, check out the photos from "Shooting Sundown", the Western comedy I got to do last year. I'll let you know about the comedy video.

Zane(bud)

• Hello All
    Today among other things I rooted around in our freezers and brought out a pork bone with some meat left on a chicken we had enjoyed most of and added garlic onions spices and let it simmer for hours. The smell alone was worth the time and it hit the spot. I also watched two movies on the life of Geronimo. Seems to me that healing in a society divided by war takes generations not decades and yet we still find it ongoing. I wish all members whatever peace the circumstances of their lives will allow. take care

Greetings from North of the 49th

• today the little bloke went on a school trip to the national capital (Canberra) he will be getting back friday night. it is a filled trip they are going to different places each day and take a trip around sydney harbour on the friday. am proud of him as this is his first trip without family with him.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"