Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 221,591 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• So looking forward to this book being published by the estate of JW. I have high hopes that we will get a rare insight into the Big fellow, and see photo's that have not been seen before. Perhaps an opportunity to also answer alot of the garbage that has been written over the years. I don't think it is going to be that kind of book though. What hopes do others have for this book? Does anyone know the date it is to be release, I have various dates but would like a definitive one? Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Someday, this book and all the information is discussed here
    http://www.dukewayne.com/showthread.php?t=466&page=43

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello Everyone

Not exactly a "Duke book" but a place to buy at great discounts!

I ordered this last week (cannot wait to read it!)

Lloyd Hamilton: Poor Boy Comedian of Silent Cinema (Paperback)
    By Anthony Balducci

I just got an email from the company offering me 10% off everything I order and telling me they have refunded 10% off this book as a promo was not applied correctly.

WELL! The book was discounted by 20% when I ordered it so now I have gotten a total of 30% OFF and the company do

FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

I am well pleased! Not only a great book judging by the reviews but a great price!

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi

While its not a Duke Wayne book Print the legend the Life of John Ford by Scott Eyman lots of Duke content over 600 pages some little known facts in it, and not a bad read. This and the John Ford subjects and films listed here has got me catching up on my John Ford books of which there seem to be a great number on e bay.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• There appears to be a few books coming out this year, I thought I was aware of all of them! Then I noticed on amazon this book "When the legend became fact-The true life of John Wayne" by Richard Douglas Jensen. Anybody know anything about this book and author? I ask because I was contemplating ordering this. Thanks for any help in this matter.

• There appears to be a few books coming out this year, I thought I was aware of all of them! Then I noticed on amazon this book "When the legend became fact-The true life of John Wayne" by Richard Douglas Jensen. Anybody know anything about this book and author? I ask because I was contemplating ordering this. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Someday, great find, and many thanks for this.
    I have added this new book to our list
    Here's what the publishers have to say

TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2012

New John Wayne biography zooms to top of UK, US Kindle sales
    * When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne has zoomed to the top of the UK Kindle sales rankings on Amazon.com and sits at # 5 in US rankings in the six days since the book's release.
    * A meticulously researched and starkly written expose' into the true life of Hollywood's cowboy icon, the book contains startling revelations about John Wayne's personal life -- his affairs, his alcoholism, his fits of explosive violence, his mammoth insecurities -- all traits not associated with the image of the public John Wayne. The book further details the actor's many private falls from grace, all the while his public image was protected by an army of publicists who portrayed him as the quintessential American icon.
    * When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne, by Richard Douglas Jensen, is available in print and Kindle formats exclusively from Amazon.com.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Geez he was a man not a idol on a pedestal. A lot loved JFK too while he was alive they did not call that era Camelot for nothing yet after he was dead, the stories of his affairs and other issues came out. Not one person living or dead is perfect nor should they be. Lets accept the duke for what he was A hell of a actor who loved this country and showed it and was a hell of a man faults and all. Sounds what a publisher would say it sells books.

• I could be wrong, but I think this is the same person who wrote the biography of Ben Johnson, The Nicest Fella. On the cover of the Johnson book, his name is listed as "Richard D. Jensen."

• Sounds like you have stumbled upon TWO gems - a book that sounds fascinating, AND a business that offers free shipping WORLDWIDE! Thanks so much for sharing this amazing find.

Chester :newyear:

• THIS IS ABOUT A NEW BOOK ABOUT JOHN WAYNE BY A LAWYER THAT IS TRYING TO SHOW JOHN WAYNE IN THE WORST WAY, AND YOU CAN SEE THAT THIS MAN THAT WAS ONLY 20 YEARS OLD AT THE TIME DUKE PASSED AWAY, DID NOT MUCH ABOUT OR WAS AROUND "THE DUKE" AND IT WAS JUST A CHEEP WAY TO TRY TO SELL HIS BOOK !!!
    WHEN YOU ASK PEOPLE THAT REALLY KNEW DUKE WHAT HE WAS REALLY LIKE OFF THE SCREEN, WE WOULD ALWAYS SAY ,
    ONLY THE WARDROBE !!!!
    CHILIBILL
    :cowboy:
    ================================
    HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A just-published new biography of movie icon John Wayne, written by Huntsville lawyer and writer, exposes the truth of the actor's turbulent private life.
    When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne, published by Nashville's Raymond Street Publishers, is a mammoth 574 page book which deconstructs more than 83 years of public relations mythology about the life of the screen icon and reveals Wayne's tumultuous lifestyle.
    With decades of research and insight, author Richard Douglas Jensen lifts the veil of public relations half-truths and exposes the reality that the public John Wayne was very different from the private man.
    Wayne struggled with severe alcoholism, chronic infidelity, self-esteem and personal demons that often made life hell for his three wives and his children. The book painstakingly recounts the triumphs and tragedies of the life of John Wayne - who rose from abject poverty to become the world's most famous movie star - and creates a portrait of a man haunted by a childhood of abuse; a man conflicted by his own definition of masculinity; a man fighting to control his own rage and his propensity for violence; a man who committed domestic violence against all three of his wives and his children; and a man haunted by and driven to overcome his fear of failure, poverty and ridicule.
    Jensen, a nationally known criminal defense lawyer, veteran film actor and award-winning journalist, said the intent of the book was not to trash the memory of John Wayne, but to reveal the truth about his life.
    "John Wayne was my idol since childhood," Jensen said. "When I was working full time in Hollywood in the late 1970s, I learned that the private John Wayne was not the guy on screen. I'd tell people I wanted to work with the Duke and they'd say, 'Oh, no you do not. He's impossible to work with.'They'd then regale me tales of Duke's violent tirades on movie sets, his bullying of everyone from actors and directors to crew members."
    Jensen said this experience in Hollywood began an odyssey of research that continued for more than 40 years.
    The truth of Wayne's life has been protected for decades by, in Jensen's words, "a kind of omerta. People were afraid of the wrath of Duke's son, Michael, who ran Duke's estate. Now that Michael's dead, people are talking publicly and allowing me to release information that they gave me years ago."
    Jensen said the truth of Wayne's life is far more interesting and moving than the sanitized version which pervades the media.
    "John Ford posited in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance the phrase 'when the legend becomes fact, print the legend,'" Jensen said. "As a published biographer now of three Hollywood movie greats - Tom Mix, Ben Johnson and now John Wayne, I can tell you that the legend is never more intriguing than the truth."
    Jensen said Wayne was a man of great complexity, driven to rise above his miserable childhood and become famous and wealthy, but never able to shirk the demons of his past.
    "He spent the first half of his adult life clawing his way to the top of the film industry, all the while doing self-destructive things that brought chaos to his personal life and brought him close to ruined many times," Jensen said. "There is so much information, so much evidence that he was a truly unhappy person much of his life, and mostly because of the horrible childhood he endured and the lasting effects of his mother's abuse."
    The book exposes the hard truths of Wayne's life, but Jensen said the payoff is the legacy of John Wayne is enriched, rather than tarnished.
    "When I wrote the final chapters about Duke's death, I kept breaking out into tears. The circumstances of his death are so sad. You really end up feeling such sympathy for this complex man that when he dies, it's like losing someone close to you," Jensen said.
    "When you read the book, you see that John Wayne spent his life trying to embody the values he portrayed on screen," Jensen said. "He often failed miserably at this, but in the end became a true life hero not because of what he did on screen, but because of the impact he had on the fight against cancer. His legacy continues to impact cancer research and treatment."
    :evilgrin:
    "When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne "
    "JOHN WAYNE AMERICAN"__________________
    OFF WE GO INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER

• I'm reading The Young Duke by Howard Kazanjian and Chris Enss for the first time and I'm loving it. I'm learning alot about his rise within the movie business it's self that until I read this book what I knew of that aspect of Duke's life was only breif over views that I had read before.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

• That Jensen book sounds like a hatchet job just to sell books, sounds like a book on Duke written by today's media. The allegation of Duke being an alcoholic particularly stands out to me, I might be way off here and obviously the Duke and his band of friends (Ford, Bond etc) enjoyed booze but I don't think Duke ever let it get in the way of his work or his family. If i'm wrong i'm open to correction.

• I'm reading The Young Duke by Howard Kazanjian and Chris Enss for the first time and I'm loving it.

That's great to hear! I ordered my copy on Friday so am looking forward to it arriving soon.
    I love it when new book orders arrive, it's like Christmas, or maybe that's because I'm still a big kid! ;)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hey Bill,

I'm not judging anything about Duke. so I like to read all I can about him. I find this interesting, so keeping an open mind, I like to read this book before passing judgement.

I know you have so many experiences on your life with John Wayne. Have you ever considered writing about Duke, yourself. I bet you have many great stories that can be compiled into a book, and I know it would be great. You shared so much here on this site. So much, you could have written several books.

What do you think?

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• HONDO, I DID A BOOK CALLED "THE 26 BAR RANCH SCRAPBOOK" FOR DUKE'S 100 TH. BIRTHDAY PARTY THAT WE HAD HERE AT HIS RANCH, AND IS LISTED OVER ON "THE TRADING POST" ON THIS SITE ! :wink_smile:

I HAVE SOLD MANY, MANY COPIES IN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND WE JUST KEEP PRINTING THEM UP !!! (bud)
    BILL :cowboy:

• Alright Bill. How much and will I get an autograph copy? And where do I order? I told you that I am interested. Who is your pubisher?

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• That Jensen book sounds like a hatchet job just to sell books, sounds like a book on Duke written by today's media. The allegation of Duke being an alcoholic particularly stands out to me, I might be way off here and obviously the Duke and his band of friends (Ford, Bond etc) enjoyed booze but I don't think Duke ever let it get in the way of his work or his family. If i'm wrong i'm open to correction.

Yes, the phrase," sounds like a hatchet job just to sell books,"does sort of permeate from the press release. The left still hates Duke, but what they really hate is the fact that so many folks around the world love Duke so much. There must be a way to change this, they are thinking. Maybe someone should write another book to bring out all his sins. Another comment made was the fact that the author is a lawyer. Here is a newspaper article describes why this could be a bad thing. One might also wonder if this author has been an undercover spy on this message board. Being he is from Alabama, this makes me look right at
    Hondo . . . . . and wonder!

just kidding, Hondo, put down that gun!

Chester :newyear:

• HONDO, THEY SELL FOR $50.00 POSTAGE PAID, AND OF COURSE I WILL SIGH IT FOR YOU ! :biggrin:

THEY ARE PRINTED IN NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA BY MY DAUGHTER UNDER MY COMPANY NAME "C.B.K. PRODUCTIONS" !! YOU CAN SEND YOUR CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO "WILLIAM BROOKS "CHILIBILL" 1800 WEST 26 BAR ROAD, EAGAR, ARIZONA 85925

SEND ME A E-MAIL AND I WILL SEND YOU MY PHONE NUMBER !!!
    BILL "CHILIBILL"
    :cowboy::cowboy:

• Boy, Chester you are brave! I guess being 2000 miles you do have that flexibility. :wink_smile:

Well, if you know Alabama, and the greater Huntsville area, you know for one thing that I am over 150 miles away being in the greater Montgomery area. Huntsville is in the Tennessee Valley not far from the state of Tennesse (within 20 miles). The area is generally know to be very conserverative in all aspects. It is very technology orientative with the space program and military. So, not knowing this man, you may think of him in the general area himself, but the only difference would be that you say he is a journalist. Well, I must say that he has a very big strike against him from the get go.

Seems that the conservative population is in war with the media. Why, well, not to get off topic, let's just say they don't have the same beliefs as conservatives. (ot)

My comment was only to read what people think about Duke. No matter what anyone and I mean anyone says about John Wayne, I know who he is and I know the kind of man he is. He was not perfect. So what. Who is? :dribble:Alright, Bill Clinton is. :vomit:

It must be interesting to see why people write about a man who has been gone for 33 years as a threat to their plans and have that kind of fear. My gosh :omg:, some of his children are deceased. What do they fear? They fear that with people like John Wayne, who stand for decencey and love for this country and the people. They can't handle that. All we need is Love. John Wayne gave us that. It is written here. I've read it for over 9 years now on this message board. As for the book. I want to be angry and mortified with what he says, because that just confirms that Duke is still a threat to their plans. And I like making them miserible with Duke, Stewart, Gable, Grant, Heston, Cooper, Cagney, Reagan, and many others. So let them write their books and see where they go.

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks Bill, I'll be in touch.

- John Wayne quote