Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 221,335 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• BURT LANCASTER - AN AMERICAN LIFE, by Kate Bufold

While Lancaster's and Wayne's paths never crossed professionally, the author makes it a point to use Wayne's political efforts to mirror Burt's. Since Wayne was always "the first" the Republicans asked to help their causes, it was always Burt who was approached first by the liberals - and he never said "No". The book follows a life fully lived by the great life of the circus acrobat turned movie star. When he shot "Cattle Annie" on Wayne's Durango ranch (in 1979 but not released before 1982) and the news of Wayne's death reached the set, they stopped shooting for a day.

• RED RIVER, by Suzanne Liandrat-Guigues

From the BFI Film classics series (each entry of a copy into the British Film Institut is accompanied by such a book), this is in interesting read. Written from the French standpoint of film critics, and from the Cahiers de Cinema as their center stone, the author looks at Red River with Hawks as an "auteur" in mind.

The BFI series is especially noteworthy because of their use of filmcells instead of still photographs. By using the actual film to illustrate you'll see pictures in these books you haven't seen before.

• JOHN FORD AND THE AMERICAN WEST, by Peter Cowie

As more and more books about Ford's work and life are published, this one won't fail to attract readers who already have sufficient knowledge about Ford. It compares the great American painters, Remington and Russell, als well as others like Schreyvogel, in the most beautiful reproductions, to Ford's direction. The author makes it a point that Ford often studied paintings, especially Remington. In the case of "Yellow Ribbon" he officially went after Remington's style of composition and lighting. Peter Cowie especially analyzes the meaning of Monument Valley in Ford's films and guides the reader through the valley and the different locations he used. A handsome book.

There's nothing wrong with the theory of the paintings, of course, just one thing one must remind himself when reading the book: When paintings and photos from the films are compared, remember that the publicity stills were taken not by Ford - but by the official still taker. Very often those stills are quite different then the Ford's composition in the film. The publicity photograph would often have the actors for a shooting session while the still photographer would shoot pictures while the actors would try the upcoming scene (but not during shooting).

• Hi all,
    You mentioned so huge amount of interesting books about Duke and related to him that I feel completly lost and have no desire were to go and what next book to order. Now I have only two of them: one by Pat Stacy wich I have almost read and liked very much and Duke. The John Wayne album by Boswell and David it contains a lot of good photos.

Originally posted by Senta@Aug 20 2005, 06:59 AM
    Hi all,
    You mentioned so huge amount of interesting books about Duke and related to him that I feel completly lost and have no desire were to go and what next book to order. Now I have only two of them: one by Pat Stacy wich I have almost read and liked very much and Duke. The John Wayne album by Boswell and David it contains a lot of good photos.

[snapback]20604[/snapback]

Vera,
    There are dozens of good books about Duke. One of the best of the biographies is "John Wayne: American" by Randy Roberts and James Olson.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I got to read for the First Time "JOHN WAYNE- THERE RODE A LEGEND" When I visited the Duke's 26 Bar Ranch two weeks ago. :D It was the only Book about Him in His Bedroom! :rolleyes: It was Great and it had many Pictures that I had Never Seen before. And it is a Very Large Book!!! :fear2:

But if you want to find out about Duke in the Last 7 years of His Life by some one that was with Him almost all the time it would be "DUKE A LOVE STORY" :wub: by Pat Stacy His Sweetheart!!!

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi Chilibill,
    I'm reading "DUKE a Love Story" by Pat Stacy right now. It is very sad to the end. But I like it very much, all she told about Duke. What a great man!
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Vera,
    You may well have these, but if you want a couple
    of good reference books with lots of facts, film details etc.
    try these:-

THE OFFICIAL JOHN WAYNE REFERENCE BOOK by Charles John Kieskalt.
    THE COMPLETE FILMS OF JOHN WAYNE by Ricci,Zimijewsky.

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith,
    Thanks for recomendation, I think I will order some of recommended books in the nearest future.
    Regards,
    Vera

• I have been reading the posts here. Have to agree with everyone here that all of these books are great. I must admit that I have just about any book that has been written in the English language about JW. I cannot read books that were published in a language other than English.

• wbbison,

We have a ton of John Wayne books, too, but don't have the time to read them all. :headbonk:

I noticed that over on the UK message board, you list your web site. I hope you'll take the time to update your profile here and list it here, too.

While checking out your site, I was looking over the titles of sheet music, and I saw "Marcheta: A Love Song of Old Mexico" from the movie They Were Expendable. In the past, we had some discussion regarding some of the music from that movie. Specifically, someone asked the name of the music played while John Wayne is dancing with Donna Reed. Do you know if the sheet music is for that song, or a different one in the movie?

Chester :newyear:

• Just finished two of the books on here. John Wayne-American. It seemed like these two ran out of gas at the end. They spent very little time talking about the films Duke made after True Grit. They suggested that he was on the doward skids and realy didn't make any good films. They suggested that The Shootist was his attempt to get his film career back together. I don't know but I thought The Cowboys and Big Jake were well done films.

Duke We're Glad We Knew You was an excellent book and I enjoyed it very much. Would recommend it over the other.

• Howdy All,
    Although I cannot afford to buy all the John Wayne books I want, I can, and do, take full advantage of our library district. They have a ton of books about and relating to John Wayne. Lately, I have been reading books that were later made into John Wayne movies. The last few I have read are:

1. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (both the novelization by James Warner Bellah, and the original short story by Dorothy Johnson). The short story is similar to the film, and is actually pretty good. I wish they had left some of the aspects of the story in the film.

2. The Searchers by Alan LeMay. I thought it was interesting that in the novel, Ethan Edwards (Amos Edwards in the book) was actually killed in the novel. I'm glad they didn't keep that in the film!

3. Wake of the Red Witch by Garland Roark. My gosh what a great book! Roark is a little wordy, and all the Dutch terms were a little difficult for me, but all in all none of it detracted from the story, and in fact, I felt added to the overall story. Not that I am a literary critic or anything, I just know what I like, and I would highly recommend these books and stories to everyone.

Currently I am reading The Stars in Their Courses by Harry Brown. So far it is a pretty good read. I noticed that the copy I borrowed from the library is a first edition. Oh were I so lucky to find one of those! Someday I hope to be able to add to my John Wayne library. Currently I have about 10 books. I really like the books that were the basis of his films. Well, I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hello Colorado Bob. I have read The Stars in Their Courses and loved the book. It was the basis for the movie, El Dorado. Funny, though, the movie bore little resemblence to the book. Still a great read. I also loved Wake of the Red Witch. Found it hard to put down.

From one avid reader to another, I happen to have a spare paperback copy of Wake of the Red Witch that I would be more than glad to let you have. I will even throw in a copy of Hondo. Just PM me with your mailing address and I will send them your way if you want them. They are well read copies, but still intact. Let me know if you want them.

Next time you are in the library, look for a copy of The Shepherd of the Hills.
    If your tastes are like mine, you will love this book. I have read mine several times. I also loved In Harms Way. I could go on and on, but I'll leave off here. :D

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Does anyone know if there has been any Duke books released within the last year? I haven't heard of any but I haven't kept a close eye on it either.

Just interested in any new ones out. And no I don't have all his bios or read all of them. Just asking.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi,

I've heard that there is some new book about his early years, it exists at Amazon, but I didn't search it because I haven't read an old ones.
    I still have only 4 of them in my collection and 2 about Ford (which are connected with Duke of course) and one Harrey Carey Jr.

Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes: