R.i.p. Johnny Cash

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,746 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Some sad news today Country Music star Johnny Cash dies at 71.

Here's a link to one of the stories:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl...cat=Johnny_Cash

Also, John Ritter (son of Tex Ritter) dies on the set of his new TV series "8 Simple rules". Ritter is also the voice of one of my kids favorite PBS cartoons "Clifford: The Big red Dog"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl...cat=John_Ritter

• Definately a sad day indeed. Did you know that there is a connection with the two? Tex Ritter, father of John Ritter helped Johnny Cash get started in the country/western music. Cash opened for Ritter (Tex) and there was no stopping him. Of course either John was a young lad, or not yet born, but there is the connection.

I thought that was interesting to note, considering the circumstances. So sorry to hear about our loss, but especially for John Ritter who was so young with such a tradegy.

As for Johnny Cash, he was a legend of all entertainers. Duke spoke of him in his album, John Wayne: America, Why I Love Her. See if you can find it.

Take care, and have a good day.

Cheers, Hondo :(

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• It's been a day, hasn't it? Every time I heard the news today, the deaths of these two stars were at the top. It makes you realize our frailty and where our minds should be directed at all times. All this peripheral stuff can be fun, but we don't want to lose focus on what's really important -- God, family, and country.

Thanks for that interesting connection between Johnny Cash and Tex Ritter.

In a sober mood,

Chester

• As i hear of these great entertainers passing, I cant help but get all choked up to the fact that this is the end of a wonderful era of entertainment. I am one who hates change and has a difficuly with the whole death concept anyway but I come to realize that nothing lasts forever and this is all His plan. My dad has been gone for 16 years now and I am consoled knowing that these fine people are now in his midst and I am sure he is happy in welcoming them as they were his favorite entertainers also. They are in my thoughts and prayers as the Duke has been since his departure into Heavens gate. Daralynn

[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=blue]

• Always wondered why the title song "The Sons of Katie Elder", sung by Johnny Cash, wasn't used in the film. It's on the soundtrack though, and sounds great.
    There is another connection to John Wayne: Johnny Cash once did a western on the Brackettville lot, JW's Alamo location. They even built a new house for that one, right in the spot where Travis' headquarters were. Haven't seen that one though.

• itdo,

I rememeber that song. Do you know the title of that song? I would like to hear that one again.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I think it's simply called The Sons of Katie Elder. It was on the Original LP (1st track) and probably would be on the CD, too. If it was ever intended to use the song in the movie or if it was just promotional, I don't know. The tune doesn't sound anything like Bernstein's score. The text is about how difficult it was for Katie to raise their sons.
    BTW, the LP is also an important collection piece because JW lent his voice to one track: To Bernstein's music he delivers a monologue about how a woman looses her sons to Texas, very much like Martha Hyer's dialogue in the film.

• I never saw Mr Cash live, if anyone did I would appreciate hearing about it.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I never saw Mr Cash live, if anyone did I would appreciate hearing about it.

Seen June & Johnny here in Atlanta back in the mid 1990's at a place called Chastain. It was a good show, but Johnny couldn't seem to keep the mic from dropping to the stage.

They sound great together, glad I was able to see him live.