True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 262,973 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• the ntg is to be released over here in ireland on the 11 of february.thats this friday.roll on next week.it will be my first time in the cinema since i watched the remake of 3.10 to yuma,which was ok.

• the ntg is to be released over here in ireland on the 11 of february.thats this friday.roll on next week.it will be my first time in the cinema since i watched the remake of 3.10 to yuma,which was ok.

You sound like me, ringo - the only time I ever set foot in cinemas anymore is for Westerns I think I might like. (bud)

De gustibus non est disputandum

• True Grit is one of the movies shown at the German Filmfestival "Berlinale" this weekend and it will start in German movie theaters on Feb. 24th (my birthday). - I will go to see that movie, but not on my birthday...

I am looking forward to watch it and I hope, they have not done something bad to this stuff, that once made one of the Duke´s greatest movies!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• You sound like me, ringo - the only time I ever set foot in cinemas anymore is for Westerns I think I might like. (bud)

your right stumpy the films that are coming out these days i would'nt pay the price to see them as most of them are s.it.the only time i would go to the cinema is to watch a western and it's sad to say that's very seldom.

• I am looking forward to watch it and I hope, they have not done something bad to this stuff, that once made one of the Duke´s greatest movies!

I think you'll like it, except for the ending, which is kind of a letdown after Duke's version. Otherwise, it's a good Western, with a great performance by Jeff Bridges and acceptable performances by everyone else.

BTW, Happy Early Birthday!

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Roger Deakins won the BAFTA for Cinematography. I think that's the only Oscar it will win.

Oops! The American Society of Cinematographers gave their award to Wally Pfister for Inception.

Edited once, last by may2 ().

• the film itself was really good and i liked the extra bits in the middle when rooster and mattie came across the hanging man and the bearskin traveller etc... i also liked the end and the way the film was narrated. i wasnt so keen of jeff bridges though. not just saying this as a john wayne fan but i honestly preferred his version of rooster cogburn. it just didnt feel right with jeff bridges playing him and i didnt like the way he was ready to jack it all in when the trail went cold. i m sure john wayne would never have done that.

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I just dont think i will actullally spoil my memories of the original and go and see it, i reaaaaaaaally hate seeing my favourites old movies being remade.

• I just dont think i will actullally spoil my memories of the original and go and see it, i reaaaaaaaally hate seeing my favourites old movies being remade.

It didn't spoil my memories of Duke's version. While I liked the new version, I didn't like it better then the original and it made me appreciate the John Wayne even more.

I would go see it if you have the chance. Us western fans rarely get a new western film made by Hollywood. And if it is good I wouldn't miss out on seeing it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Jessie, you say you don't want to spoil your memories of JW version I have seen both liked the new version the old one is still my favorite but ask your self this how do you think the duke would feel about the film their is no doubt in my mind he would be honored to have his film remade I look at it as being a honor to our hero so in honor of the big guy i went to the film you should to its not like your going to hate the original version if you go and as a bonus if WE are all lucky with how well the ntg is doing and hopefully with your help maybe Hollywood will get off there ass and start making more westerns. you have heard a lot on this site about what people think you deserve the right to form your own informed opinion go see the movie and come back hear and give me your thoughts if you hate the film I will send $20 for you time and ticket cost!!!

I would be interested to know your take on the stars of the show I personally was not crazy about matt damon (but I have never caried for him as a actor) Jeff bridges done very well but it would have been great to see RobertDuvallplay the part considering as we all know we played lucky Ned Pepper in the original.

• Hi all

Well i think you have all conviced me, for many reasons actually to go and have look. And if i dont like it much, i wont even hold you to the refund Moorecc. lololol

Will try and get there next week, so does anyone else often feel a bit disappointed when they arent watching their faves in the classic Westerns, and i do really enjoy J Ford direction pretty well 90 % of the time, i find with him i often see sooooo much more each time i see one for a 2/3 time

• The Coen Brothers gave a short interview at the Berlinale, that was aired yesterday in a summery of this event. They said, that John Wayne was not real an actor, but an icon from Monument Valley, and that today 16 year old people don´t know, who John Wayne was... - I can´t believe that! John Wayne will be well known, even by teenagers, when the Coen brothers are long forgotten!!!

BTW, Happy Early Birthday!

Thank You, Stumpy!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• The Coen Brothers gave a short interview at the Berlinale, that was aired yesterday in a summery of this event. They said, that John Wayne was not real an actor, but an icon from Monument Valley, and that today 16 year old people don´t know, who John Wayne was... - I can´t believe that! John Wayne will be well known, even by teenagers, when the Coen brothers are long forgotten!!!

Thank You, Stumpy!

Yes the Cohen brothers have been rather unflattering towards John Wayne as has Mr. Damon, however to be honest most people I know have never heard of either the Cohen brothers or of Damon. I also suspect part of their scathing criticism is to dwarf John Wayne's TG.

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and still trying to find my way around so forgive me if this question has already been posted but what do you think about the remake of True Grit. I havent seen it but from the previews I have seen it looks to me like a complete copy of the original with the same dialogue and scenes from the original. Its a shame that no one has any originality that they have to go back and remake classic films. I can't be too critical as I have not seen it but I do quite like the Cohen brothers work
    Michael Welch

• I saw True Grit tonight. It is a good authentic western but it isn't a patch on the original one.(pardon the pun and the quote). The emphasis has moved to Mattie as opposed to Rooster and apart from a few scenes were Jeff Bridges comes alive he is basically playing a character that John Wayne played much much better.

The Mattie character is played strongly and La Boeuf is played well by Matt Damon as is Tom Chaney by Josh Brolin.

It is more subdued than original and one thing I really missed is music. Elmer Bernstein & others we do miss you.

I think it played well because the original material was so good, the Coens brothers apart from a few extra scenes have virtually kept to the book. Added to the fact that it was a well known John Wayne movie and Western movies are few and far to see in the cinema explains why it has done so well compared to Appaloosa and 3:10 to Yuma.

At the Oscars I predict it will win nothing. At least it may encourage a few westerns to be made by others.

Tombstone still rules as best post 1990 western.

• I can't believe the John Wyane messageboard disregards the fact that the Cohen Brothers have continually denegrated DUKE in their interviews. They claimed to never have seen the original, yet most of the camera angles are taken directly from Hathaways version. I am not saying they have to Love JOhn Wayne but if your going to remake this movie you need to show some respect and they have not done that.
    I have read many interviews regarding this movie and have finally had it. All I need now is a way to resign from this board and find Dukes real fans