Veteran's On The Forums

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,018 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is in respone to Chester talking about his service in the Navy on the post about your top 25 JW movies started by Hondo. I didn't want to clutter up that post, so thats why I started a new one.

I too am a veteran of the US Navy and served 5 years from 1984-1989. And that too explains some of my love for JW and his movies, all though I will probably site my dad as the major influence for my Duke infatuation. I would not skip my time in the Navy if I had to do it all over again. It was a learning experience, helped me grow up, and I seen allot of the world.

I just wanted to say to all the Vet's here, thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hi sixviper

we may not all be veterns in the same sense as you and chester but for myself i have to say i'm a vetern of another kind i survived being a army brat for 12 years so does that count :D

cheers smokey :cowboy:

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Smokey, that counts more then you may possibly think. That is in fact one of the reasons I chose to leave the Navy. Service life is very hard on the family. And I seen allot of families fall apart because of the service way of life. I loved my time in the service, but, it was not what I wanted for the rest of my life.

Chester, I was a Gunners Mate 2nd class petty officer. Worked on rocket launched torpedoe weapon systems. What did you do if I may ask?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• sixviper,

it wasn't me that did the time but my dad and he was a meathead otherwise know as the MP's or for you the shore patrol. my brother is also in the army and he is in armour and has had his fair share of close calls if you know what i mean, he also did time in east timor one of the first lot to go in he was involved in a fire fight at the boarder with west timor and the indo's, he has also said he will never forget his 30th birthday for reasons he wouldn't go into but he was on grave duties (digging up the sites). he has now been in the army for 12 yrs. i was married to a powder puff jockey (RAAF) and he was in there for 14 yrs before his death. and yes we had it tough but by the same token we were very proud of our dad and still are because he chose to join up and serve his adopted country, and i feel proud of my brother for the same reasons and of my husband as well.

catch you later
    cheers smokey

• smokey, the support of the "folks at home" is what keeps the military going, so YES, your stint as an army brat (and military wife!) counts.

SXViper, you may have missed another post I made elsewhere (I don't remember where . . . :rolleyes: ), where I mentioned my Naval career was 4 years active, and 21 years in the reserves. I was an Electrician's Mate and a Navy salvage diver (with both hard hat and scuba training). For the most part, you remember the good things that happened and tend to forget the bad, although the reserves gave me two days a month to refresh my memory as to why I didn't re-enlist :D for active duty.

And like you, I give thanks to all our veterans, everywhere!

Chester :newyear:

• thanks chester we don't very often get the support but we know that our men do the most bravest job in the world
    keep thinking of those families who have their people away in conflict now and keep them all in our prays for a safe home coming.

cheers smokey :cowboy:

• vETERAN SERVICEMAN OR WOMAN SPOUSE OR CHILD OF ( COUNT ME IN THE LAST CATEGORY) I THINK IT CANT HELP BUT INFLUENCE YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF THOSE ARROUND YOU.IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS GOING TO BE ARMED CONFLICT FOR A LONG TIME YET AND MANY WILL MAKE SOME FORM OF SACRIFICE. THATS WHY OUR REMEMBERANCE CEREMONEY IS IMPORTANT TO ME LIKE IT SAYS ON THE STATUE-- LEST WE FORGET. i HAVE MISSED THIS THREAD AND THE POSTS IN IT UP TO TODAY SO I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND CONDOLANCES TO SMOKEY RESPECTING THE DEATH OF HER HUSBAND.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• well my brother is in his last few weeks in Iraq he will be back here in the middle of june, his troop will be doing the last Aussie patrol and when they get back to base camp two of his (boys) will be stripping of their uniforms as they are and they will be sent to our national war museum. they are suppose to be having a parrade for them at the end of june in brisbane. cant wait to have him home as his family miss him (his mrs and 2 little girls) as well as his dog.

cheers smokey

• well my brother is in his last few weeks in Iraq he will be back here in the middle of june, his troop will be doing the last Aussie patrol and when they get back to base camp two of his (boys) will be stripping of their uniforms as they are and they will be sent to our national war museum. they are suppose to be having a parrade for them at the end of june in brisbane. cant wait to have him home as his family miss him (his mrs and 2 little girls) as well as his dog.

cheers smokey

I'll pray for the safe return of your brother to the arms of his family, smokey. As I'm sure a lot of other folks are doing.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• thanks everyone

my mum told my brother that he will be safe from all harm, the reason behind this is that everytime he does anything at Sholewater Bay near Rocky he has some sort of accident and one of them was a close one, one man was killed. we saw on the nes today the hand over to the americans at their base he will spend 1 week in Kawait to clean down their "cars" better know as Laves before they are shipped back home. heard today that he is due back on the 15th of this month so not long now.
    cheers smokey

• just a update, my brother is now home and safe, he arrived home this sunday at about 5:30pm his plane touched down in brisbane. saw him at the airport and watched his family greet him was just glad to see it happen. i am so proud of him he went and did his job and came home safe and sound.

cheers smokey

• just a update, my brother is now home and safe, he arrived home this sunday at about 5:30pm his plane touched down in brisbane. saw him at the airport and watched his family greet him was just glad to see it happen. i am so proud of him he went and did his job and came home safe and sound.

cheers smokey

Tell your brother that we Americans are grateful for the help he and his comrades gave us in Iraq, smokey, and that we're very glad he was not hurt while he was there.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• It must have been quite a good feeling to see your brother reunited with his family. I hope the rest of the troops can all go home some day.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• smokey,

Dido's to what everyone has said, and know that we are so happy for you to have your brother back home. I too, pray that all our brothers and sisters come home soon with victory for our countries. I hope he is home for good.

Cheers :cool: Mike

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote