Smokeys Brother

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,652 times. The latest Post () was by William T Brooks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Quote from Smokey" my brother used to own a lever action rifle winchester i think but he had to surrender it after port arthur ( thats where the loony shot all those people in hobart, tassie) he didn't mind too much as it was getting harder to find the ammo for it down under. "

Just curious about the gun ownership situation in Australia, I have heard many things about the subject. Things like since the laws went in place to take away guns, crime has actually increased. Just curious if you might have any thoughts on this subject at all Smokey, thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 1 2004, 09:33 AM
    Quote from Smokey" my brother used to own a lever action rifle winchester i think but he had to surrender it after port arthur ( thats where the loony shot all those people in hobart, tassie) he didn't mind too much as it was getting harder to find the ammo for it down under. "

Just curious about the gun ownership situation in Australia, I have heard many things about the subject. Things like since the laws went in place to take away guns, crime has actually increased. Just curious if you might have any thoughts on this subject at all Smokey, thanks.

Whoops, I see our minds are on the same thing, Viper. I should have read your post before I posted mine in the other thread.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• stumpy and sxviper

your right that crime has increased as a lot of the guns went under ground into the black market but most of the shootings done now are with hand guns not rifles as it was only the rifles that had to be surrended. you do have to have a gun licence down under to own a gun you have to go to the cop shop to apply i think thay do the checks. we can't import gun whether they are fake ones or not unless you are a gun dealer. they have had a surrender of hand guns but once again theywent under ground as well. a lot of people imported the gun parts to assemble them here but i believe that that loop hole has now been closed off as well. it is the honest person who has been penalised with this new law but my brother did keep his 303 as it is not classed as semiautomatic, so maybe he did keep the old lever action gun will have to ask him when i speak to him next. i do know that he has to keep his guns in the gun lockup on base.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I think I said this this a while back but can not find it, or what Stumpy said about the Crime Rate! We have the Concealed weapon Law here in Arizona for about the last 10 years and the Crime Rate has gone down 25%. Just a month or so I got run off the road by a young guy coming back from town , and he pulled in front of me and then got out of his car and started running back to my car. I got out of my car and pulled my 38 cal. Colt Cobra from my belt holster, he ran back to his car and took off in a cloud of dust on the dirt road, I took his Plate number down and called the Sheriff Department on my Cell-Phone and they stopped him down the road a few miles. When the Sheriff came to the ranch to take the complaint Info. he said the young man said "That old S.O.B would have Shot Me" talking about me, and the Sheriff said you are Right I know him. He is now in Jail. Thank you that we still have the right to bear Arms in the State of Arizona!!! Chilibill :cowboy:

• This is what the wacks in Washington and the Republic of California want to do to the US is take away our guns. Seems like every year the same people just don't get the big picture. Guns are not the culprits, people are!!! If that was the case they are going to have to start taking away cars, trucks, and ALL other recreational vehicles, because they kill people too, right :uhuh::uhuh:

-John Wayne

• Interesting that you said something about that, chilibill. I have been in debate for a long time in Alabama about concealed weapons. Hunting game in this state is very big, and there are a lot of rifle owners here, but they also have concealed weapons too. Some people want to ban that type of weapon because they feel that hunters don't need too many guns; :huh: you figure!

These people down here are the same who want to ban guns and stop hunting deer in this state. Right now we have a big big problem with the deer population, which is causing problems all over the place. Mainly the deers running into vehicles. There are some who want to extend hunting season to thin out the population, but they say that it's a cruel punishment to the population. We have experienced drought for the last several years and the animal is looking for food where ever they can including populated areas.

There are problems here, and the gun nuts are trying to take that away. A big fight for many years and more to come.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo: We have the same problems here with wild game. A month will not go by without some one getting killed over on I-17 coming out of Flagstaff just 5 miles from me and hitting a Deer or Elk . When you hit a 1200 lb. Elk something has to happen. On the hand gun problem we seems to be moving ahead now that they said that the crime rate dropped by 25% in about 5 or 6 years with the new hand gun law. I never leave home without one. Amen !!! Chilibill :cowboy:

• Well here is a link to my new varmint gun . If this don't get the gun wackos squaking nothing will!!!!! By the way its totally legal, in the USA, as it it sold with a 5 rnd magazine and is a semi auto. Thats not to say that I will not add a few 20 or 30 round mags in the future. Happy Hunting!!! :cowboy:

-John Wayne

• hey guys

i find it funny that you all talk about your hunting seasons and that you need to cull the deer and such but i don't hear about it over here but we have overseas people who tell us that we can't cull our roos when they get in plague sizes, we need to cull as a female roo can have one joey just out of the pouch, one being weened and a new one on a teat in the pouch and one waiting to be born when they breed. they have a natural cull in drought times but in the good season they can distroy a farmers entire crop for that year. oh and by the way if you hit a roo you can do untold damage to you vehicle as well as get killed by them coming through the wind screen and the is why most vehicles out bush have bull bars on them to help to protect the from of the vehicle from having a smashed in radiator.

so you can see all our countries have problems with their wild life

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• ChiliBill, nope do not get the scope or the bipod. It is a very expensive gun but like you said, she's a flat shooter. The coyotes are becoming a very big problem and farmers like to have you come to there place and put a few down once in awhile. Plus during the winter, you can make about $30-$40 avg, sometimes even $50, for a nice yote fur.

-John Wayne

• Hello All
    Canada has been floundering with a gun registry which has cost many millions and not produced much benefit. Owners are reluctant to register because the fees to own a firearm are expensive. in my city of Delta they ran an amnesty program for a month and had 130 guns turned in. Most were rifles whos owners did not want to pay the fees for a rifle that may have been passed down to them and that they were not hunting with.

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Apr 2 2004, 09:54 AM
    SXVIPER; Love the Weapon, and that type of Trigger is just what you need, that will make you a Expert. 3315 ft/ per. sec. that is a flat shooter! Do you get the Scope also? Chilibill :cowboy:

[snapback]8827[/snapback]

Like to see this topic come back as well. I have since put on a scope to my gun Bill. It is a Leupold 3-9x40mm. I also added the bipod but I found I like to using shooting sticks better. This gun is a hoot to shoot, and the coyotes have no idea what hit them!!!

-John Wayne

• Viper;

Love to see a picture of the Rifle and Scope. :wub: I am still using the Old Springfield 30-06 with a Old Weaver 4 to 20 power Scope and using a 150 Grain Boat Tailed Bullet, that my Father Built up as a Sporter Rifle for me over 45 years ago. :rolleyes:

We use to get the Springfields from the Government for $12.00 apiece. I think those days are Long Gone Forever!!! :fear2:

Now that we have had some Rain at the 26 Bar Ranch and they have opened the Forest Back up, all I have to do is find a Good Stump for this Old Man to Sit On and wait for them to come to me. :rolleyes:

Bill :cowboy: