There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,288 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Kevin; I just looked at the bottom of the page, and what do you know over 10,000 posts on this Site with almost 700 members on this John Wayne Site!!! It will not be long before you have 1000 members. Great Job Kevin and all of you other people that made this happen! Chilibill :cowboy:

• A great milestone to see over 10,000 posts and I'll say 700 memebers. Looks like a few of us have been posting. :lol: Thanks Kevin for giving us an outlet to express our feelings and knowledge about John Wayne. I feel like I have about 700 new friends here on this board.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• :cowboy: I'm trying to get a few friends to join this site who i know from historical forums. Still waiting results. TRK.

PS, would you guys mind it if a ww2 vet friend of mine joines this site? He is a ww2 Uboat vet who is also very fond of John Wayne. His wife of 63 years just recently passed away and he is now along in Pohlheim, Germany.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

PS, would you guys mind it if a ww2 vet friend of mine joines this site? He is a ww2 Uboat vet who is also very fond of John Wayne. His wife of 63 years just recently passed away and he is now along in Pohlheim, Germany.

Hey, bring him on in, I am a huge WW2 buff. I love talking about it about listening/learning about it. He would be more then welcome to join in, I am sure of that.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• TRK,

This is open to anyone who likes to talk about John Wayne. We do advise you and them that we won't torrerate any bad behavior on this board.

So as my good friend SXViper said, bring him on in.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• TRK,

We would welcome your friend. Chilibill happened upon this board, feeling lonely without his lovely wife of many years, and finding this friendly bunch has really been a great thing for him, and he has been a real inspiration for us.

We'd second that motion to bring him aboard! :D

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

P.S. Of course, Hondo's cautions about "good behavior" should be heeded, too. :rolleyes:

• hi there ringo

the more the merrier we are like one big family some of us pass in the night and rarely see anyone but we still like to keep in touch.

bring him on down to the river to wet his lips with friendship

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• :cowboy: Thank you for this, I definately will let him know he will be accepted here.

BTW, Hondo, though he is a WW2 German Navy veteran, he definately had nothing to do with the nazi party.

Here is a bit about my friend Karl.

He started his training schools in 1940 and finally graduated from the final technical school sometime in 1941. He was a mechanic that worked on the diesel engines on submarines.

He served on U 181 under the command of the very famous Kapitanleutnant Wolfgang Luth. Luth was one of 27 servicemen to be awarded all the country's highest decorations for valor including the Knights Cross, Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

My friend Karl, was awarded the German Cross in Gold, which is equal to our Distinguished Service Cross ( which I am not comparing it to) Karl ended the war in Singapore as a surrendered personel who was held captive by the Japanese.

The resaon why I know this gentleman is because U 181 sank my Grandfathers ship, the SS Fort Lee, on Nov 2/1944. He was serving on U 181 at the time and also was the man who gave my grandfather a Luger pistol to shoot sharks with to keep them away from his men.

Anyway, he is 86 years young, has a great singing voice (he belongs to a church choir) and really is a generous person to know. He is also a very religious man and he is striving to keep learning English though his English in my opinion, is very good.

One last thing on him is that he got his interest in John Wayne, back during the war when they actually showed a few of his Westerns on board ship.

SXViper, I too am a history buff as well as a movie buff. Both reading and watching movies are but two hobbies of mine. ;)

Many thanks and best regards TRK.

• Ringo,

I hope I didn't come across with my comment above. I was indicating that we welcome anyone to this board. I was not aware of your friend being a veteran of the German Navy. I was not aware of that.

My comment might have been out of place, so I apologize for that. I wanted to be sure that inappropriate topics were not accepted. I think I over stepped my boundaries. Your friend is very welcome, and I am looking forward to his war stories.

See you soon.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Isn't it amazing how Duke's appeal transcends international boundaries and politics? And in the case of TRK's friend, even generations.

I've said it before but it bears repeating - I think much of his popularity stems from his image of a strong, courageous, honorable, individualistic, principled man worthy of admiration by all.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Hi Hondo/Stumpy.

No problems there, I just wanted to make sure that nobody thought I had any inklings of agreeing wiht what the nazis did. Karl Kaiser was a member of the Kriegsmarine and really is a nice Gentleman.

Sorry forr my short reply. The place I use computers at is closing, I will be here tomorrow to finish.

Take care--TRK

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 22 2004, 05:57 PM
    I just wanted to make sure that nobody thought I had any inklings of agreeing wiht what the nazis did. Karl Kaiser was a member of the Kriegsmarine and really is a nice Gentleman.

WW2 has been over for almost 60 years. I'm sure no one here thought that you might be a Nazi sympathizer, Ringo.

There were a lot of Germans during the years 1933-1945 who didn't subscribe to Adolf Hitler's policies, including my father-in-law. Because of his outspoken opposition to the Nazis, he was forced into the Wehrmacht and sent to the Russian front, where he turned up MIA. To this day, my wife has no idea what happened to her dad. Probably the only members of the German armed forces who really supported Hitler and the Nazi creed were those fanatics in the Waffen SS.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Thanks Stumpy.

60 years is a longtime but, I sometimes still see or hear of a relative few people who think all Germans just because they are Germans, were evil people. I know that we all here know differant.

I have to let you nice people know that one time, whejn I was at a Barnes & Nobles bookstore. I was actually accused of being a nazi by one of the ladies working there just because I had asked here to look up two books that in their titles has either the word German or Waffen SS in it.

I don't know if she was trying to embarass me in front of others on purpose or not. There were about 10 or so people in earshot of her when she asked: Your not a nazi are you? However, I am unaccustomed to things like that but turned it around on her and I said: Your not a democrat are you? Everyone laughed about it. Now when I walk into that store, the nice people working there will let me know if new books are in that might be of interest.

Also, I have been given credit for helping with the sales on their history titles. When i am there, I always get asked by people what books I would recommend for them to buy. I guess I am an unofficial and unpaid book critic ;)

You are also somewhat correct about the Waffen SS guys. Many were fanatics but, many were not. When I lived in Kingsville years ago. Just two blocks down the street from my house, there was an elderly gent living there. This mans name I no longer recall but, he had been a sergeant in the Waffen SS. He was in a signals unit. He immigrated here in 1950 and got his American citizenship by joining the US Army and fighting in the Korean War. That is all I remember about him though.

Sorry to hear that sad news about your Father-in-law. He is one of perhaps 3 million Germans who never made it back from Russia.

Best regards, TRK.

• Personally I have always had a little respect for Romell. Your friend will be more than welcome here I have two questions

1. What were the westerns that he seen of John Wayne that made him a fan durring the war?

2. Why did the Japanese take him prisoner as they were allies?

Thanks in advance.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• :cowboy: Hi Robbie, I can answer that 2nd question for you now ;)

He and his crew were one of at least 10 Uboats that were stationed in Singapore (Panang) They were under the command of Kapitan zur See Wilhelm Dommes. The commander of U 181 at that time was Kapitan zur See Kurt Freiwald. Yopu might recognize the mans name that he took it over from who was Korvettenkapitan Wolfgang Luth.

ANyway, as of sometime in 1944, U 181 was transferred to operate in the areas near Singapore. When the war ended (with the Germans surrender of May the 8th) that meant that these men too had to lay down their arms.

The Japanese had always been cordial to the Germans but, when Germany surrendered, the Japanese though still treated them fairly respectively but, had to take them into custody supposedly for their own protection.

They were held in Japanese detention till I think November 1945 some weeks after Japan too had surrendered. When the war ended for the Germans, they had to give their Uboats over to the Japanese. The Japanese renamed the U 181 to I-501 I think?

If memory serves me well, these men were handed over to the British Authorities. Several of the U 181 crew stayed on and lived in England, Scotland and Wales. About 2 or so months ago, I was contacted by the daughter and grandchildren of one of the former U 181 crew who happened to still be living in Wales. I was able to reunite him with about 7 other U 181 vets.

The only living officer of U 181 Dietrich Hille, worked and lived in England many many years. He worked with the British Govt on Navy projects and Engineering projects.

I will be more than glad to ask Karl what John Wayne films he remembered seeing if he does not post them here first.

Take care and best regards--TRK.