Favourite Christmas Songs

There are 43 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,503 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ok I know a lot of people hate Christmas songs but I have to admit to liking them. My question is what are your favourite Christmas songs.

Mine are

1. So here it is merry Christmas - Slade
    2. Fairytale in New York - Pogues
    3. Merry Chirstmas Everyone - Shakin Stevens

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hmm... well, those sound like some titles that I'm not terribly familiar with. They must be Irish?

For secular Christmas songs, my very favorite is called "Please Come Home for Christmas," by Charles Brown, a blues artist with a soft touch.

I also like "The Christmas Song" ("chestnuts roasting on an open fire") and naturally "White Christmas" composed by the wonderful Irving Berlin.

I like the Elvis Christmas album - "Here Comes Santa Claus" and "Blue Christmas" are highlights.

I have one of Sinatra's Christmas albums and that's great to listen to, though the recordings are very traditional and a trifle staid.

I love all the traditional carols - my favorite is probably "Silent Night."

Originally posted by A Girl Named Jen@Dec 9 2004, 02:17 PM
    I love all the traditional carols - my favorite is probably "Silent Night."

Mine too.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I like

I saw three Ships especially as it was done in the cartoon The Christmas Messenger with David Essex and Richard Chamberlain which still remains one of my all time favourite cartoons.

Also my wife's favourite In the Bleak Midwinter

non carols Happy Holiday
    and of course White christmas by the groaner.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Of the traditional carols my favorite by far is "O come all ye faithful". The version we had at home was done by the Mills Brothers so I got used to this version. This one really gets me into the Christmas spirit.

Since Robbie started out with rock/punk artists I would like to mention "2,000 miles" by the Pretenders. Beautiful song if you are open to this kind of music.

• i have to say here are some of my favourite christman songs

christmas where the gum trees grow
    six white boomers
    deck the sheds
    santa never made it into darwin
    the aussie barbeque
    the three drovers

as well as

white christmas
    deck the halls
    little donkey

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I notice others have mentioned "White Christmas." How is it that a Christmas song written by an impoverished Russian immigrant Jew has become such a classic? The idea tickles me - in a good way.

• :cowboy: Favorite Christmas song eh? For me its as hard as picking one John Wayne over the other as the most fav, but i'll try.

Christmas Dream by Perry Como.

Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry.

Silver Bells (Any great rendition)

Silent Night (Any great rendition)

Let It Snow (Any great rendition)

TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Chester has drifted off to sleep, so I will list some of my favorites, and he can chime in later.

I'll Be Home for Christmas

The Holly and the Ivy

O Come All Ye Faithful (one of my very favorites - when I was in high school, I taught myself the lyrics in Latin :rolleyes: )

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Carol of the Bells

Sleigh Ride (particularly the Boston Pops' version of it)

Coventry Carol

Mary, Did You Know

The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole's rendition)

Hm-m-m-m, I might just have to go listen to Christmas carols now . . . .

Mrs. C :angel1:

Amen to Stumpy's next post
    V
    V
    V
    V
    Chester :newyear:

• Bill, I didn't know Irving Berlin was Messianic. I suppose his acceptance of the faith had something to do with his marriage(s) to Christian women.

I love it that every Christmas Eve for about 20 years or so, a group of faithful admirers would gather outside his NYC apartment and sing "White Christmas" to him. I think on occasion they got asked up for cookies and hot chocolate.

• I like all of them mostly, but I am particial to Tennessee Christmas & Christmas In Dixie. But the more traditional ones are Go Tell It On The Mountain, and Silent Night. I also like Home for the Holidays & White Christmas.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Jen,

As we are writing this, we are listening to Bing Crosby sing White Christmas on CD (on the computer). I got a 5-pack of Bing Crosby Christmas songs for the Mrs. last Christmas :D , and we are enjoying it immensely!

As far as the writer of the song, there is no limit to the influence of the good Lord on one's creativity!

I do enjoy most of the songs listed previously, but how come no one mentioned
    Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer?

One of my favorites . . . . :headbonk:

Chester :newyear:

• I do enjoy most of the songs listed previously, but how come no one mentioned
    Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer?

One of my favorites . . . . :headbonk:

Oh Chester I hate that song :D

Although when I was out last night and it came on in the nightclub we were at we were all on the dance floor for it.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Chester; I have seen "Mule Deer, White Tail Deer, Desert Antelope, Elk, Lion, Bear, Wolf" in my part of Arizona but I don't think I ever seen a Reindeer but on T.V. but I think it would taste kind-a like Deer or Elk!!! HA :D Chilibill :cowboy: