What Kinds Of Music Do You Like?

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,117 times. The latest Post () was by JWfan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I feel that every message board needs this topic. It's another way of getting to know one another. If there's a similar topic elsewhere, I apologize (as Billy Eckstine once sang).

I pretty much listen to classical, Jazz, Swing and film music. Artists I like the most include Duke Ellington; the "other" Duke! I'm in a huge Ellington kick lately, can't get enough. I like the film music of Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, John Williams and a bunch of other composers, most of whom did scores for John Wayne's movies. I like classical music, especially J.S. Bach and Vivaldi. I love Sinatra and Tormé and all the other classic singers. I listen to mainly 1920s-1950s music, so if you can recall the kind of music that Woody Allen uses in many of his films, then you've got my style pegged. I'm 33, but I feel a lot more at home listening to the sounds of the 1920s-1950s era. You know, Duke Wayne's era! I don't listen to rock, country (except Willie Nelson; love 'im!) or any of that loud techno-rap-boy band pop stuff.

How about you? :cowboy:

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• My favorite music is Big Band (the swing era) from the Thirties and Forties; Rock 'n Roll (including Doo Wop) from the Fifties and Sixties; Jazz (from almost any period), Pop and most soundtracks. I like almost all music except opera, hip-hop, heavy metal and hard rock. C&W is not among my favorite music, though there are even many C&W songs I like.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Interesting conversation. In some ways, I'm like Stumpy liking all kinds of music except the extremes like heavy metal, punk, twangly country, hip-hop (including rap [is that music? :lol: ]), opera. I favor classic rock of the '60's and '70's. Give me the Doobie's and Eagles and I'm set.

I like film and TV music, including show tunes from broadway. Give me Sinatra, and Dino anytime. I listen to church music and Contemporary Christian music with Amy Grant, Twila Paris, Michael W. Smith. I like some country, and pop hits from the King himself (Elvis). I even like Michael Jackson's early works from Thriller and before. I have a hard time with today's music, but sometimes I find someone who I like and well maybe a single anyway.

My first recollection of a song wasn't Ole MacDonald, but The Beatles, I Want to Hold your Hand. Though I am not a big Beatles fan, I do like their early works. Santana has a great use of the guitar, and George Benson can make that baby put out the sounds.

I took a class in Appreciation of Music in college and learned so much about styles and appreciated Bach, Mozart, Brahms, and others. But I really like a lot Aaron Copeland and Appalachian Spring, and Billy the Kid. The Sound of Music is a great selection of Music and just love Julie Andrews in this movie, and she was great in Mary Poppins.

Alan Jackson is really great and Hall & Oates are fantastic in concert. I met Jimmy Buffett and he is jammin' all the way. I could go on and on with so many but I must say that music touches my heart and soul in many ways with so many styles.

So, what was the question? :P

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I may be the oddball on this board - I'm a Metalhead!

I love the energy of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal - well, "old school" Metal. It was Rock and Roll on steroids - bigger, stronger, faster. I loved the classical and Jazz influences in bands like Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, and a lot of lesser known acts. I also liked the fun aspect to bands like AC/DC, KISS, Ted Nugent, Dokken, Ratt, etc. I love the concept that KISS really pioneered - the idea that a concert wasn't just for your ears, but also for your eyes. They put big time showmanship and production values into live concerts. Bands like Iron Maiden, DIO, and others took that to heart and gave huge spectacular shows to go along with the music. That really is important if you're playing in a Sports Arena because after the first 30 rows or so it gets harder to see the band. I've been into Metal and Hard Rock for almost 30 years!

Then, on the other hand, I grew up listening to Big Band Jazz - and I still have a love for that music today. Buddy Rich had the tightest, most powerful - most "on it" Big Band of them all from the early 70's until he died. His Roar of '74 album was simply brilliant! And a lot of fun, too! He really was the best drummer of all time - and I played drums for 10 years, so I know a little about drumming. I had the good fortune to see Buddy's band live several times before he died. The best I ever saw him was when he was playing at the amphitheater at the San Diego Zoo in the summer of '83. It was unreal. When Buddy was doing his solo it sounded like he was playing a 10 piece double bass drum kit - but he was playing his standard 4 piece with a single bass drum! In the middle of his solo he looked at me wearing my KISS T-Shirt and smirked. It was like he was saying, "You think THAT'S good music? Let me show you something." He then tore into the rest of his solo and really showed me something. My jaw almost literally hit the ground. Amazing.

I also like a lot of Classic Rock, too, and Rock flavored Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughan).

• Well B5Erik, you and I maybe the oddball of the bunch. Or as some may put it for me, just odd :lol:

Anyways, I too like the Heavy guitar laden metal music of the 80's and I like the music of today that kind of mimics that era with alittle more "growl" to it. Bands of the 80's I enjoy are Great White, Tesla, Def Leppard, Van Halen and many others. My most favorite singer from that era would have to be the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar. In fact anytime he is in the area I make it a point to see him. Great energy and musician. Bands of today that I like are Nickelback, Seether, Evanesence, Godsmack, and lately I really enjoy Green Day's new album.
    And no offense to the people that like classic rock from the 70's but I am just burnt out from all of it being played on the radio, I love the bands and the music but if I hear Stairway to Heaven on the radio I have to turn it off because it has just been over played in my area, thats about all we have for local radio stations besides country and pop is classic rock.
    Now before you guys all say, whoa, metal head freak boy!! I do appreciate the classic sounds of Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, in fact I went for about 6 months listening only to Martin, I like him more then Sinatra.
    And last but not least by any means, I enjoy country music. But it is not any of that newer style stuff. I like the more classic sounding county artists like Alan Jackson, George Strait, Brad Paisly and Travis Tritt.
    If I had to list what I like the most in order it would be heavier rock, no pop music or rap(or as I call it "crap music") and closely followed by country music then the music of Frank and Dean. It all depends on the mood I am in. In fact my wife is always amazed at how I can listen to heavy metal 1 time then switch for awhile over to country for a bit.

And like you Hondo:

So, what was the question?

Hehe!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Here's another area where a "generation gap" shows up. For instance, Erik and Viper, I've never heard of most of those rock and heavy metal artists? you mention. Just as I'm sure you would never have heard of most of my favorites.

I had to chuckle, Viper, when you mentioned "classic" C&W artists like Jackson, Strait, Paisley and Tritt. To my generation, the classic C&W artists were people like Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Bob Wills, Johnny Horton, Stonewall Jackson, Marty Robbins, Faron Young, et al. I also got a kick out of Erik's statement that Buddy Rich was the "best drummer of all time". It's true Buddy was a helluva drummer but in my day, we thought Gene Krupa was the best drummer of all time.

However, Deano and Frank are among my favorite singers. It's funny, I never cared much for Sinatra before he died but afterwards, I became a huge fan and have since collected CDs of most of his works. And Dino.....ah, that voice just seems to reach out and wrap around you like a warm blanket on a cold night.

• well now let me see music that i like mmmm

i like the music of ZZTop, classical when i'm in the mood, music of the war years, lots of london pub songs ( we used to have sing alongs to the records when we were younger) some country music by local singers that most of you may not have heard off. am getting to know the songs of my sons favourite singer he plays them over and over and over till you wish that the disc would break :lol: , he has a large selection that he likes some of them i cant for the life of me understand but he likes it (horses for courses) and of course i like songs that are purely aussie like "old man emu".

i think we are all influenced by the music we heard when we were kids and i heard music like "puff the magic dragon" , "we got to get outa of this place" and "paint it black" don't know if these are the titles of the songs but they sure bring back memories of standing out in the paddock with friends who's kids were hippies (sex, drugs and rock and roll :lol: )

cant really say that i like the heavy metal music except for angry anderson songs

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

Originally posted by smokey@Apr 14 2005, 10:21 AM
    of course i like songs that are purely aussie like "old man emu".

I always liked "Waltzin' Matilda", Smokey" I have 3 or 4 different versions of it loaded on my hard drive.

• As everyone can see from my member profile, I have classical music at the head of my interests. This focus started in my pre-teen years and became more involved as I matured. I was fortunate enough that the newspaper I worked at (and am still with for almost 41 years as of next month) began an entertainment section and was favorable to the idea of my doing coverage of local concerts in the form of reviews and articles. This began in the spring of 1979 and is still active. The San Antonio Symphony and the San Antonio Chamber Music Society are the mainstays of my focus. My own personal library of books on the subject and over 5000 recordings assists me in this endeavor.
    I also enjoy film music, big band music and some vintage rock 'n roll.
    Movies are also high on my interest list, with John Wayne and his films leading the pack (of course).
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

I had to chuckle, Viper, when you mentioned "classic" C&W artists like Jackson, Strait, Paisley and Tritt. To my generation, the classic C&W artists were people like Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Bob Wills, Johnny Horton, Stonewall Jackson, Marty Robbins, Faron Young, et al.

Maybe I should explain that alittle better. I meant the more classic sounding country artists of today. Dwight Yoakam comes to mind as well. I also love Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard from the 60's and 70's. And I was brought up on Hank Sr, Acuff, Wills, Johnny Horton, and all those you mention Stumpy.

And Dino.....ah, that voice just seems to reach out and wrap around you like a warm blanket on a cold night.

Yup, thats how to describe Dino....awesome voice!!!!!

-John Wayne

• The music that I listen to depends on the mood I'm in.

After a hard day at work I sometimes like to kick of my shoes, put my feet up and listen to something classical, If I'm cooking, which I do a lot, then it's Dean Martinor Frank Sinatra. If I'm in the car, It will be the Beatles, the Stones, Elvis, Tina Turner, Meat Loaf, Doctor Hook. I've never been into heavy metal. As for Irish music or (Diddley dee) as we call it, When I'm down in my local pub, they sometimes have a few guys sitting round with their instruments. But besides that, it's not the kind of music I listen to.

I don't get the the stuff my kids listen to.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Krupa was a very good drummer, no question about that. He even did a couple of those "Battle of the Bands" tours with Buddy Rich, and on one of those tours each band opened up with a song that featured a drum solo. Krupa's band played first, and for a couple of shows when Buddy Rich's band played their opening song he played the exact same drum solo that Krupa had played - except Rich played it with one hand! No joke - I read about it in Musician magazine in one of those issues where his former band members would tell stories about him. This story has been backed up by other people as well. Krupa was all about style - Rich was about style and technique. Of course, Rich played drums from the time he was 3 (he played Vaudeville as "Traps the Wonder Boy," so he literally spent his entire youth developing his technique!

And I'd bet that I've heard of most of your favorite bands/singers. Most. ;) (I used to run a record store....)

• Hi

Light Classic does it for me, as well as film themes and music of the fifties by Frankie Laine, Martin, Sinatra, getting later Orbison and the Beatles (I saw them a couple of times in Southampton and London) and the swinging sixties. People like Ricky Nelson, some country and western but not by the well known people.
    Can't stand jazz of any shape or form. And the modern day music which is on every day where I work leaves me cold.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• ah stumpy you go for the classic waltzin' matilda our national song, there is much talk about the line "down came the troopers 1 2 3 "some say it should be "down came the tropper 123", and jumping into the billabong with the jumbuck in his tucker bag what a good line, they say that this song was composed here in queensland and there are two towns fighting over the ownership of the rights to say it was composed in their town. another good song is "down amonst the gum trees"

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Celtic is my favorite music. Its pretty hard to come by though so I usually listen to pure country which is a descendant of Celtic. I'll listen to anything but rap or hip-hop.

• Interesting topic.

I too can listen to alot of different music. My taste in music changes it seems with the seasons, ^^ In the fall & winter its country, in the spring & summer it's more rock and roll. I like the 60's era rock (Haggard, Twitty, etc.) I also, like mainly one band today and that's U2. Yes, like The Duke, "I'm a man of contradictions" :huh: I like U2 so much I even have a fan site devoted to the Irish group at http://www.U2exit.com :agent:

Yes, like The Duke, "I'm a man of contradictions" I like U2 so much I even have a fan site devoted to the Irish group at http://www.U2exit.com 

Ouch Kevin that hurts!!!! J/K!!! :lol: :lol:

I was a huge U2 fan, pre Joshua Tree. After that album I lost interest in there music and I was never a fan of there politics. I don't think they will ever be able to duplicate Sunday, Bloody, Sunday.

-John Wayne

• I like some of U2's music however I feel they should have stayed away from mixing music with politics with such controversial songs as Bloody Sunday.

My own personal music preference would be Oasis a nand that has failed to make it in the USA but is big in the UK.

Red Hot chilly peppers ans Robbie Williams.

P.s. Have any of you people heard of Kenny Rogers the gambler its huge over here you cant you into a nightclub without hearing it.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Robbie,

Is that Kenny Rogers ("The Gambler") a re-release, or the one from about 25 years ago??

Personally, I like only two kinds of music - Country and Western :lol: !

The Mrs., on the other hand, has rather eclectic tastes when it comes to music - country/western, oldies, classical, celtic, musical soundtracks (a particular fondness for the music of 1776, The Phantom of the Opera, and Pippin), easy listening, big band, Sinatra, worship and praise music, etc. - no heavy metal for her, or rap or punk or hip hop :stunned: .

For those of you who like the sound of Sinatra, our 17year old son has discovered a current artist, Michael Buble - the Mrs. says he is REAL good - and he sings a lot of Sinatra's songs!

Fun topic!

Chester :newyear: