John Wayne picture Game #5

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,454 times. The latest Post () was by Chisum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I don't know about anyone else, but the last caption game was the best. Is it me, or is some of the JW fans putting hidden meanings into the captions? ;) Oh well. All were incredable and hillarious! No one is voting, but that's ok, as long as everyone is having fun.

The next picture I chose because we are coming up on Memorial Day. I belive that we should honour those who served our country in the military, and honour our Allies who served beside us in our causes. We should remember as well as honour those men and women who did not come home, and remember and embrace those who did. I personally would like to thank all of you vets, both men and women, for your courage, bravery, and sacrafice.
    The next picture is a behind the scene from the movie "The Longest Day". I'm looking forward to reading the next series of captions from all of you.

Have a safe and great Memorial Day Weekend!

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Here goes (a pretty tough one here Baron),

Duke: "Well, this beats the hell out of shooting those "SOB's", a friendly game of chess, and the winner, gets a chance to really go after Bin Laden, and his wimpy cave rats without the liberals knowing what's happening!"

or

Duke: "I'm just wondering when the cameras are going somewhere else so we can get back to this war. These stupid folks back home think we're here teaching people how to be civilized by playing games, and caring for Hussan. I get tired of playing chess, when thousands are dying from this tyrant. And those idiots distort the damn truth, and keep blaming us. What the hell is this world going to?"

or

Duke: "If I move here, what will happen to Hillary, and her sappy group of whinners?"

Hondo :rolleyes:

P.S. My votes for Game # 3 is dukefan1, and Game #4 is smokey

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• LT. COL. VANDERVOODT (John Wayne): „At ease!“
    LT. STEVE FORREST: „The Chess-Boards have been issued, Sir.“
    VANDERVOODT: „So I see. Listen up: You gonna be landing in the dark. And in the dark, a fella may not be wearin‘ the same uniform you are. So: You get out your chess-board – you move king to A-7. If the other fella doesn’t move queen to B-4 – hit the dirt, and open fire!“
    LT. STUART WHITMAN: „Betcha we can bore them Krauts to death!“
    LT. STEVE FORREST: „By the way, where’s Darryl F. Zanuck?“
    LT. COL. VANDERVOODT (John Wayne): „Can’t ye see’im? He‘ right behind that hill – smoking his CIGAR!“

• John - Im going to keep playing chess until this picture is made back and white like its supposed to be.

or

The Guy in the middle thinking to himself ("Who does John Wayne think he is first he gets paid ten times as much as the rest of us now hes playing chess when we should be working")

The Guy in the middle thinking to himself ("I dont remember seeing this scene in the Comancheroes before")

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• Guy on the left, 'I wish I knew how to play chess. Or is this checkers?' "Uh, Duke? What colour am I Again?"

Or

Stricken with indecision, guy on left swipes the board; trying to disguise his clever maneuver with a sneeze.

• FIELD MARSHALL ROMMELL (read with German accent): "Look over there, Gentlemen... how calm, how peaceful... But beyond the peaceful picture? John Wayne, waiting to be unleashed - against us! Believe me, Gentlemen... the first 24 hours of waiting till Wayne finally finishes his chess game will be decisive. For the allies as well as Germany - it will be the Longest Day!"

JOHN WAYNE: "Aaaw, the Baron showed this picture the wrong way round! Now I donno if I'm black or white!"

• First, here's our vote for Picture Game #4 -

Tied for first place:

Hondo's caption about Jane Fonda,
    "My only regret is this isn't Jane Fonda."

And Robbie's caption,
    Maureen: "But I thought he was you"
    John "Well Im going to spank you until you learn never to kiss Ermal Williamson again"

Now, onto captions for this one:

JW (thinking) "What a cheap budget! I usually get a trailer for breaks."

OR

JW (thinking) "We would have lost the war for sure if this guy was doing the strategic planning. What a lousy chess player."

OR

JW (thinking) "I wonder how good Ermal is at chess . . . ."

OR

JW "What do you mean 'crown you'? This isn't checkers!!"

OR

JW (thinking) "I'd rather be spanking Maureen."

Chester

• "Playing chess to see who leads this charge. Huh! I still think Rock, Paper n' Scissors woulda been quicker!" dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Howdy, all!

I've been splitting my time between here and a new place I've found, the McCandles Texas forum on Yahoo. I read the following and thought you might find it interesting - I know I learned a few things I hadn't known before. "Sheriff" Art is answering a question about the Duke's chess playing.

Yes the Duke played chess and to quote one friend, "Chess was his one true passion outside of his love for his country". The Duke always had a travel chess set that he carried with him at all times. He also owned several very elaborate sets which he kept at his offices, homes and on board his yacht. In fact Otto Preminger commented on how surprised he and the other members to the cast and crew of "In Harms Way" were to find out that the Duke was a very intelligent man who was an excellent chess player. On the set between takes, Wayne would seek out someone to challenge him to a game. The truth is that this was his pattern during his
    entire career. He would relax during breaks by playing chess. If he found out that a member of the cast or crew was good he would try to ensure that they would be a part of his next film so he would have a least one
    person to play with. The Duke himself was considered an expert player. Some people find it hard to fit the Duke's chess playing into his image of the great American tough guy. But you have to remember that Wayne
    graduated from high schools with honors and was an "A" student during his college career even though he was there on a football scholarship. John Wayne was a very well educated man. To quote the Duke, "When I
    first started making westerns they had to teach me to say 'Ain't'."

Cheers!

Chester

• At last gentleman, a civilized way to fight a war. Who ever wins the game wins the war. No more destruction and killing. How many years and how many lives has it taken to get to this point.

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!