Duke's Filmography- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,080 times. The latest Post () was by Popol Vuh.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Popol Vuh,
    Thank you for information. I have it under the title "Hell Town".
    Regards,
    Senta

• The movies name has been bolderized to "Born to the West"

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• If you've seen a good filmography of films made in the Thirties and Forties, Vera, you'll find that many of them were given two titles.
    Jim

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Vera,

Other than working titles ( the title used while in production that was often changed prior to release), most of the films with two titles came about years after original release, when some distribution company would purchase a film from the original releasing company/studio in 1938 and re-release it in 1952...and change the title for various reasons, including: the hope that someone who had seen the original would go see the reissued title thinking it was a different film (and for years the re-release companies didn't have to show in their ads that this was an old film under another title); or some other film carrying a title the same as the original film had was made later, and the original film had to take on a different title to avoid confusion. Plus, in the early years when the studios were selling their old films to television (circa 1949-55), they often changed the titles so the theatre exhibitors, whom they depended on for their major income, wouldn't know some film they were about to run as a double feature or at their drive-in theatre had already been seen for free on television.

There are some other reasons, but these were the primary ones for title-changes.
    Les

• Hi Jim and Les,
    Thank you for the complete information about that point. I saw "hell Town" once more and mention that on the bottom of the screen at the title page it was said in small letters that this film was released under the title "Born to the West". I like the Dukes part in this film, it is rare thing in the early films that his hero chose wrong ways for the first. :rolleyes:
    Regards,
    Vera

• I noticed this same thing on a VERY good Ronald Reagan western. The first Ronald Reagan film I ever got to watch was: "The Last Outpost." I accidently found it on DvD under the title of: "Cavalry Charge." I think "The Last Outpost" sounds as a better name for this fine film.

Anyway, this movie also stars: Bruce Bennett as his older brother and who is a Colonel in the Yankee Cavalry. Reagan's character is a Captain in the Confederate Cavalry. This movie also has Noah Beery Jr in it as a Confederate Sergeant. I forget who else is in this movie.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Sep 8 2005, 10:53 PM
    I noticed this same thing on a VERY good Ronald Reagan western. The first Ronald Reagan film I ever got to watch was: "The Last Outpost." I accidently found it on DvD under the title of: "Cavalry Charge." I think "The Last Outpost" sounds as a better name for this fine film.

Anyway, this movie also stars: Bruce Bennett as his older brother and who is a Colonel in the Yankee Cavalry. Reagan's character is a Captain in the Confederate Cavalry. This movie also has Noah Beery Jr in it as a Confederate Sergeant. I forget who else is in this movie.

[snapback]21298[/snapback]

Hi Ringo,
    I saw Reagan only in two films "Santa Fe trail" and "Desperate Journey". I like him in both. your discription of this cavalry film sounds very interesting, so if I come to it some day, I shall try to see it.
    Regards,
    Vera :)

• hi chester

i did some research on john wayne movies avaliable in zone 4/free zone and here it is so far

we are able to get the following on dvd:

the big trail
    texas cyclone
    two-fisted law
    the three musketeers
    sagebrush trail
    riders of destiny
    west of the divide
    the trail beyond
    the star packer
    randy rides alone
    the man from utah
    the lucky texan
    blue steel
    'neath the arizona skies
    westward ho
    texas terror
    rainbow valley (in a multi pack only)
    paradise canyon (in a multi pack only)
    lawless range
    the desert trail
    winds of the wasteland
    born to the west (hell town in zone 4)
    stagecoach (so far in multi pack only)
    new frontier
    reap the wild wind
    flying tigers
    the fighting seabees (free zone from china)
    they were expendable
    back to bataan (free zone from china)
    angle and the bad man
    red river
    fort apache
    3 godfathers
    she wore a yellow ribbon
    sands of iwo jima
    rio grande
    operation pacific
    flying leathernecks
    the quite man (free zone from china)
    blood alley
    the sea chase
    the searchers
    the horse soldiers
    rio bravo
    the alamo
    north to alaska
    the comancheros
    hatari
    how the west was won
    the longest day
    the man who shot liberty valance
    donovan's reef
    mclintock (from that other company )
    circus world
    in harms way
    the sons of katie elder
    cast a gaint shadow
    el dorado
    the war wagon
    the green berets
    true grit
    the undefeated
    chisum
    rio lobo
    big jake
    the cowboys
    cahill - united states marshal
    the train robbers
    mcq
    rooster cog burn
    brannigan
    the shootist

of this list i havent got only 5 all up i have 66 of his movies. hope you will be able to put zone 4 onto the other list for others to know.

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey,
    It is interesting information. We here is zone 5, but as I noticed all disks for zone 2, plays on all players with no trouble. On my player on computer I changed zone to 1, to be able to see movies for that zone. But when I order some new, I prefer zone 2, becouse it will play any were.
    If you are interested I shall post the list of Dukes films available here.
    Regards,
    Senta

• hi senta

that would be good as then chester could admend the list that has been comstructed you may know of some that others may have ommited as they didnt know that they avalible, the ones i listed are ones that i know that we can get for zone 4 as of this time but it changes and as it does i will post here so that hopefully the list can be admended again to include them.

hooroo smokey

• Hi all,
    In Russia (it is 5 zone) the following films are available on DVD
    1/ The Searchers
    2. Stagecoach
    3. The Horse Soldgies
    4. Fort Apache
    5. Red River
    6. The Quiet Man
    7. Cast a Gigant Shadow
    8. The Cowboys
    9. Rio Bravo
    10. El Dorado
    11. Green Berets
    12. True Grit
    13. In the Harms Way
    14. War Wagon.

Also was on VHS
    Rio Lobo
    Train Robbers
    How the West was Won
    Chusum
    The Shootist (the only one that I can't catch here, but I saw it listed)
    Regards,
    Senta

• I quickly glanced through the list, and i believe I noticed only 3 that I did not have.
    Im unsure of which zone I am in however.

-IHW

• hi chester

thanks mate hope you get sorted out soon what with one think and another. just thought that you would like to post so that others could see as well.

we try our best to help out keep smiling all will come good soon ( trouble comes in 3's and you have had yours and then some)

hooroo smokey

Originally posted by ejgreen77@Aug 3 2005, 10:18 PM
    Now, as for Desert Command, I said that this film should be removed from Duke's filmography, and have made several (in my mind) good, solid arguments as to why. What I have not received from anyone is just why this film should have been included in the first place. Sure, IMdB lists it, but as I said in my previous post, IMdB lists several fake films. It is a good and worthwhile source, but should not be accepted without question as the ultimate authority on these matters.

[snapback]19890[/snapback]

Just to update everyone, IMDb has just updated their site, and removed Desert Command from JW's filmography (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/). They are, however, now including his appearences on "Rookie of the Year," "Wagon Train," "Flashing Spikes," and "The Dick Powell Show."

E.J.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• It seems IMDb has made several changes in their listings of John Wayne's movies and TV appearances (these changes may be across the board, but we haven't checked other performers to see :rolleyes: ).

Whereas in the past they had a separate category for TV listings and appearances, now they list many appearances as "Himself" under a category by that name (and that includes quite a few TV appearances). Any place where film clips were used are listed under a category called "Archive Footage" (Desert Command is listed there).

Flashing Spikes (1962), Rookie of the Year (1955), and The Colter Craven Story (1960, a special episode of Wagon Train) all seem to be movie-length (at least an hour long) specials that were on TV, but are listed in the filmography. These were previously listed under "TV Appearances" if I remember correctly. I don't recognize The Dick Powell Show, but I think that falls under the same category as the three others.

Fred Landesman does not list any of these TV films in his filmography, which lists a total of 169 films (IMDb shows 176, but includes the above mentioned). Fred also does NOT list Desert Command in his filmography.

Chester :newyear: