Hurricane Katrina 4th Strongest Atlantic Hurricane

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,694 times. The latest Post () was by clancy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hurricane Katrina is an extremely dangerous Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Maximum sustained winds are at 175 mph. Katrina continues not only grow stronger, but it continues to grow larger. Hurricane-force winds extend 90 miles from the center on the eastern side of Katrina, 75 miles to the northwest and 50 miles to the southwest. Sustained tropical storm force winds are not far from the Gulf Coast and should move in later this afternoon. Katrina has turned and is moving northwest at 13 mph with a turn to the north expected tonight.

Everyone along the northern Gulf of Mexico should be completing preparations for a major hurricane and take heed of evacutation orders. Hurricane warnings are up from Morgan City, La., to the Florida-Alabama border. This includes the city of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch have been issued from the Alabama-Florida border eastward to Destin, Florida and from west of Morgan City to Intracoastal City, Louisiana.

A storm surge of 20 to 25 feet or more is possible along and to the east of Katrina's landfall point Monday. On top of the water rise, pounding waves of 20 to 40 feet will produce catastrophic damage at coastal locations.

Effects from Katrina will not be confined to coastal areas. Once Hurricane Katrina makes landfall, it will progress inland Monday into Tuesday with a trail of flooding rains and damaging winds across Mississippi and Alabama and then into Tennessee. Torrential, flooding rainfall is possible with the remnants of Katrina well inland, possibly into the Ohio Valley, Great Lakes and the Northeast later this week.

Elsewhere, there are two areas of low pressure in the central Atlantic. The first area of low pressure is located several hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles. This system continues to show signs of organization and could become the next tropical depression later today or Monday. It could approach the Lesser Antilles in the next 2 to 3 days.

The other area of interest is a low pressure system that has just come off the African coast. This system also has the potential to develop into a tropical depression later today or Monday.

Tropical Depression Irwin continues to weaken in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Top winds are down to 30 mph and it may dissipate in the next 24 hours.

In the northwest Pacific Talim has become a typhoon and is forecast to grow to a 120 mph typhoon before moving across Taiwan and into mainland China in the next 3 to 4 days.

3:17 p.m. ET 8/28/2005
    Kevin Roth, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

• Hi Kevin
    I agree folks,
    It's unbelievable that here in Torquay,
    we have spent a lovely day, relaxing in the sunshine.
    I look at the board and Kevin has posted
    about the horrific weather conditions, that are happening where you all live!!

Look after yourselves guys and God be with you,

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Wow, that's scary! It started out pretty small and wimpy, and has gotten frightenly large and strong! Last year at this time, we were barely up to Hurricane Frances, and already we're up to "K" in the alphabet, and one of the worst storms on record.

Our prayers go out to all who are in its path!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• I just got my power back after three days. 90+ degree temperatures inside the house and the loss of two large trees on the Thornton property and I still consider myself blessed. Katrina hit my town and we were in the eye of the storm, but thankfully it was just a Category 1 storm at that time (August 25). Hurricanes are scary and I've been through a lot of them (native Floridian here). Had to throw out most everything in the fridge, too. Anyhow, our prayers are with our friends in New Orleans and let's hope for the best, tough as that may be.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I can't imagine what a storm like that can do to a city like New Orleans (which is below sea-level). My wife told me that evacuations were muddled down on jammed up highways and gas was hard to get. My prayers go out to those people in the path of this storm. Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Lucky for us Texans, we aint getting any part of this storm. Last I heard, it was back down to a Cat 1 storm. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who felt Katrina's wrath. :(

The satilite pic of this storm reminds me so much of what Hurricane Allen looked like before reaching land.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hey everyone. Greetings from storm hit Alabama. I am in the center part of the state, and we have been in the storm since about noon local time. We have experienced a large number tornados in the area, but we haven't been directly affected by these storms. I lost count but we've had over 45 tornado warnings in the afternoon in the past 8 hours, with a fewer number actually touchdowns. Don't have the numbers, I haven't heard of any deaths as of yet from the local stations. Katrina went east of New Orleans, so the damage could have been a lot worse, but didn't fair well with Biloxi and Mobile. Mainly flooding alone the coast.

We in my town are lucky and blessed, but we are not finished, yet.

I just wanted to day that I am alright and God willing will get through this storm. I had just about enough of this. Sorry that I haven't been around, but hope I will get back here soon enough.

Cheers Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike,
    Thanks for letting us know, how you are,
    I have just been looking at the news,
    and although bad, not quite as bad as expected!!

Glad you're Ok my friend!!

Best Wishes to you all,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Gees Hondo, I would just move!! You guys have been hit really hard the last couple years. Minnesota is nice this time of year. Only thing you have to worry about is snow in the winter, but that has not been near normal the last 3-4 years. Glad to hear everything is fine for now. Stay dry.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hi hondo

glad to hear that you are safe so far. have been watching this one down under know what its like to be in a cyclone so i know how you all feel about this one which has touched down on your land. keep safe and sound hope to hear that they are all safe soon i know that there are some missing.

things can be replaced but your loved ones cant

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• At one time or another during my 67 years, I've visited most of the major cities in the U.S. For various reasons, New Orleans was among my favorites. So it is that I'm saddened to see the huge disaster that has befallen the Crescent City. It may not recover during my lifetime.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Hondo and Kevin (and anyone else in the path of Katrina) - I hope you folks have weathered (apt choice of words) through this thing with a minimum of problems (or none at all - best scenerio). I know that I and the other members here on the JWMB have prayers going out for you. Hang in!!
    Cheers - Jay :unsure:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Just an update from my home front. We made it through virtually untouched compared with Mobile, and New Orleans. I am just a little over 200 miles from there mainly south and a little west. The storm stayed in Mississippi, which kept us out of harm's way. And we did have tornados all around us, but it didn't come close to me, as a matter of fact, there was no tornado warnings for my county.

I am seeing what you see on TV, and it is simply amazing what is going on just about 300 miles from me. It looks like another country. It is not the New Orleans I remember.

I've been to New Orleans several times and have enjoyed myself there every time. I've been inside the Superdome only once and had a good time there. This is very sad to see a city in the shape it is in, and I pray for those involved. I have some friends there and don't know how they are, so I am concern for them, but I haven't seem them for a while.

What is affecting me right now is the gas prices. In just two days we jump up about 40 cents in prices and we are told that it will go up another 50 cents tomorrow. And we can count on seeing the prices jump $2 more by Monday. Why don't we just make gas $25 per gallon and maybe we'll just kick some :ph34r: !!!

Sorry, but this is so stupid, and I'm fed up with this. What are you paying and maybe put in a date. Right now, we are paying $2.78 per gallon on August 31. That's regular unleaded.

Cheers B)

P.S. Viper, sounding better and better everyday. Get me a job and I'll be up. I don't mind the cold, I'm sick of the humidity!!

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Aug 31 2005, 08:56 PM
    It is not the New Orleans I remember.

I've been to New Orleans several times and have enjoyed myself there every time. I've been inside the Superdome only once and had a good time there. This is very sad to see a city in the shape it is in

I hate it too, Mike. Some of my fondest memories are of sitting in Jackson Square on a Sunday afternoon listening to a pretty darned good Dixieland band belt out some tunes while watching the feet of everybody in the square tapping time to the music.

My sister and brother-in-law used to live in Houma, just an hour or so from NO. The wife and I visisted them several times while they lived there and naturally, we all went into NO many times to sightsee and "make the scene", so to speak. It was one of my favorite cities in America and it's really sad to see it in the shape it's in.

Of course, Biloxi-Gulfport, Mobile and several other tourist attractions along the Gulf coast were devastated even more than the Crescent City. It will take years for that whole region to recover, if it ever does.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi everyone,
    Now that we are seeing more television footage.
    My family and I are shocked to see the devistation, caused by Hurricane Katrina.
    Reading Jim's posts, and others regarding their visits to NO,
    It saddens us to see, such awful pictures.
    I was watching ABC World News, in the early hours, and I was shocked to see such images.
    My prayers go out to everyone, involved in this disaster, and although it will take years, to get back to normal.
    I just hope everyone is made as safe and comfortable as soon as is possible.

Regards,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The more you hear from down south, the worse it gets. I can't even begin to imagine the loss most of these people are going through. The one thing I can't understand is how some people can take this oportunity to loot the houses and stores in these areas. If it were cloths and food, I can see the reason...but TV's, radios and other electronics? Tis' a shame! As for New Orleans, I have never been there, but had always wanted to. I hate seeing this happen to a city so rich in culture and history and I hope they can rebound and rebuild once again. Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The latest word is that EVERYONE is being evacuated from New Orleans and won't be allowed back for at least several months. That just boggles the mind as do the pictures coming out of the area. What infuriates me is the looting that is going on.
    That and the fact that some people are preying upon the unfortunates by hiking lodging, fuel and other prices to make a quick buck (and some of these are fellow?Texans - I am so ashamed that such avariciousness exists :(:angry: ). My heart goes out to the victims of Katarina.
    Jay :huh:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"