What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,454,231 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Frontier Hellcat" (1966)
    -Stewart Granger. Elke Somner

In frontier Arizona, Old Surehand, a self-appointed lawman and blood brother of the young Apache chief Winnetou, is the sworn enemy of the Vultures, a band of outlaws disguised as Indians who terrorize prospectors and settlers. When the Vultures capture Annie, who is transporting her father's moneybelt filled with diamonds, Martin Baumann, who is in love with Annie, rescues her. Baumann mistakenly believes that the Shoshone are responsible for the slaughter of his family, and he is captured by the tribe for insulting their chief, but Old Surehand saves Baumann's life by performing feats of skill and strength. Old Surehand, Winnetou, and Baumann then hear that the wagon train in which Annie is traveling is about to be ambushed by the Vultures, and they fight off the gang until the Shoshone come to the rescue.

Not very exciting film. Action is only decent, the humor is terrible and the acting is only okay.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Yesterday evening I decided to watch the title "Buffalo Bill" starring Joel McCrea, Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn. I had ordered and received the film several months ago but never got around to watching it. I figured with that cast and the topic, it would be a very good Western.

Just goes to show you that I didn't know what I was talking about. IMO, it was a crummy movie. In fact, after about 30 minutes, I switched it off. It was so full of stereotypes about "savages and redskins" and all the other BS they used to put in those older Westerns that I'm sorry I ever bought it. About every 5 minutes, McCrea was greeting an Indian with an upraised palm and the obligatory "How". Disgusting.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. This is a crazy movie. I know that most of you like this movie, but I have to really be in the mood for this movie. Clint Eastwood is very good in this movie, but it is really strange to me.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Man From Snowy River
    It's an Australian film, based on the poem of the same name, always has and always will be one of my favourites.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I can't remember the order I saw these in but, yesterday soemtime, I watched: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on TCM, The Comancheros and The Sons of Katie Elder both on AMC.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The Sons Of Katie Elder on a Cable/Satellite channel here called Fox Classics.
    Still one of my favourites, JW & Dean Martin just play off each other so well.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Watched Draw with Kirk Douglas & James Coburn. Lots of humor and a little action.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I watched "Silverado" for the 3rd or 4th time last night. Outside of beautiful cinematography and great music, it's a bit of fluff. The plot holes are legion.

I was looking over the cast list on Imdb and IMO, the main purpose underlying the film seems to be providing employment for members of the Kashdan (producers and director) family. The cast list shows 4 or 5 people with that name.

The acting (including Kevin's least favorite actor) was adequate but not outstanding.

• "Monte Walsh" Starring Tom Selleck. An all star cast including Keith and Robert Carradine ,George Eads,Rex Linn(CSI Miami) ,William Sanderson(LIPPY from Lonesome Dove) Barry Corbin,James Gammon.Isabella Rosalinnie and more. It is the swan song of the dissapearing way of life of the Cowboy in the 1890's to 1900. If you like Tom Selleck then you will probably like this one.

• Watching Winchester 73 with James Stewart. Shelly Winters does a feisty job of it.

• "Monte Walsh" Starring Tom Selleck. An all star cast including Keith and Robert Carradine ,George Eads,Rex Linn(CSI Miami) ,William Sanderson(LIPPY from Lonesome Dove) Barry Corbin,James Gammon.Isabella Rosalinnie and more. It is the swan song of the dissapearing way of life of the Cowboy in the 1890's to 1900. If you like Tom Selleck then you will probably like this one.

Don't know if you ever saw the original, ST, but it puts Tom's version to shame. I like Tom but IMO, this wasn't one of his better pieces of work.

• Further to Winchester 73, at the end of the film on my DVD there is a bonus interview with Mr Stewart that I had not watched before. JS makes several refferences to JW. He says that his character in Westerns had a vunerability unlike Duke Wayne, and that when Duke was in a film you could usually count on him coming out on top, but when it was JS the outcome was not so certain. JS also said that both he and JW felt that action scenes were best filmed with careful direction so as to leave a good product. That leaving the action to the actors and then seeing if the results were acceptable worked well. This is not an exact quote but captures the gist ( I hope) THEY ASK MR STEWART WHO HE FEELS WAS THE BEST COWBOY ACTOR AND HE SAYS " JOHN WAYNE, JOHN WAYNE, HENRY FONDA WAS THE BEST ACTOR BUT JOHN WAYNE WAS THE BEST COWBOY ACTOR"

• Don't know if you ever saw the original, ST, but it puts Tom's version to shame. I like Tom but IMO, this wasn't one of his better pieces of work.

I sure haven't seen the original Stumpy but I will look for it in the future. I didn't even know there was another version,although most of the stuff out the last few years are re-makes. I watched "3:10 to Yuma" tonight...Is it a RE-Do or original???

• I sure haven't seen the original Stumpy but I will look for it in the future. I didn't even know there was another version,although most of the stuff out the last few years are re-makes. I watched "3:10 to Yuma" tonight...Is it a RE-Do or original???

The original "Monte Walsh" starred Lee Marvin and Jack Palance. The original "3:10 to Yuma" starred Glenn Ford and Van Heflin.