What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,454,937 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Young Billy Young - had never seen it before even though the title song has always been one of my favourite western songs. A standard western, Mitchum and Dickinson keep it going

I don't believe in surrenders.

• one eyed jacks -- the scenes between brando and pickens are great --at the beginnig we can see old mose hank worden -- one of the best western ever made --

[CENTER][/CENTER]

• Anyway, this morning I watched this movie, one of my favorite Westerns because it deals with the 1889 Oklahoma land rush and subsequent settlement of the "Sooner" state. (It acquired that nickname because some of those wanting to acquire homesteads during the land rush snuck across the border early.)

It was directed by Anthony Mann, who directed some of Jimmy Stewart's best Westerns. Stars Glenn Ford and Maria Schell as newlyweds in the land rush and many others whose names we know.

I saw this movie on a military base in Germany when it was first released and with a bit of embarrassment admit that I got a little teary-eyed because it was about the history of my "home state". I think it's an excellent Western and am kinda surprised it never got the recognition I thought it deserved.

As a fan of both westerns and Glenn Ford, this is one movie I never cared for. I found it rather overblown, lacking in character development and I found Ford's unsettled character rather annoying. The overall project seemed both bloated and dull.

John Wayne made a movie called "War Of The Wildcats," which deals with Oklahoma, I'm not sure however if the movie is any good.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• As a fan of both westerns and Glenn Ford, this is one movie I never cared for. I found it rather overblown, lacking in character development and I found Ford's unsettled character rather annoying. The overall project seemed both bloated and dull.

John Wayne made a movie called "War Of The Wildcats," which deals with Oklahoma, I'm not sure however if the movie is any good.

:agent:

Well, Rob, we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of "Cimarron". I loved it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Opinions are kinda like noses in that most people have one.

If those of you who didn't like "Cimarron" will read the IMDB User Comments, you'll see that a sizable majority of those posting agreed with me that it was a very good Western.

The paternal side of my family has always roamed (as have I), so I could relate to the reluctance of Glenn's character to put down roots.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well I watched one of my favorites last night, "The Professionals". I love Burt Lancaster in that movie. And Claudia is quite sight as well :wink:.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Well I watched one of my favorites last night, "The Professionals". I love Burt Lancaster in that movie. And Claudia is quite sight as well :wink:.

I am surprised you don't like Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles. The acting wasn't that good, but the scenery was easy on the eyes.:tongue:

• I am surprised you don't like Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles. The acting wasn't that good, but the scenery was easy on the eyes.:tongue:

I have tried to get into 100 Rifles. I even bought the movie. I just cannot get myself to sit through it. You are right, Raquel is easy on the eyes. She even looks quite good for her age today!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• . . . for you Western fans, I highly recommend the Gregory Peck title "The Stalking Moon", which is newly released in Region 1. It's a top-notch Western, IMO. In fact, one of my favorites in the genre.

Stumpy's been talking about this movie for over four years here, and now, thanks to his generosity, the Mrs. and I have watched it, and we both enjoyed it very much. Quite suspenseful and a good story line.

I'd recommend it!

Chester :newyear:

• Stumpy's been talking about this movie for over four years here, and now, thanks to his generosity, the Mrs. and I have watched it, and we both enjoyed it very much. Quite suspenseful and a good story line.

I'd recommend it!

Chester :newyear:

Last good Western I saw was Red Sun. Tonight or by end of the weekend-i'll have both of the Apple Dumpling Gang movies watched.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The last Western I saw was on late last night on Encore Westerns Channel. The movie was called: Jack Slade-I don't know who the stars of the movie were because it was a "B" Western. One actor that I saw in it that I did recognize was, Lee Van Cleef-who was at a scene where he was ina Saloon drinking at a bar-and he challenged "Jack Slade" to a draw and was quickly shown up by Slade-who then threw a shotglass full of Whiskey into Lee Van Cleefs face.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The last Western I saw was on late last night on Encore Westerns Channel. The movie was called: Jack Slade-I don't know who the stars of the movie were because it was a "B" Western. One actor that I saw in it that I did recognize was, Lee Van Cleef-who was at a scene where he was ina Saloon drinking at a bar-and he challenged "Jack Slade" to a draw and was quickly shown up by Slade-who then threw a shotglass full of Whiskey into Lee Van Cleefs face.

in this picture Mark Stevens and Dorthy Malone played the leading roles --

[CENTER][/CENTER]