MONTE WALSH??? Whats your thoughts?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,233 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've seen the promo's for MONTE WALSH - the last cowboy on TNT this weekend, and it looks like a decent movie. I do like Selleck in westerns, is Selleck trying to fill the John Wayne role today?? I know NO ONE will ever be even close to the Duke, but is Tom Selleck the closes thing we have??

It airs January 17th on TNT, and is repeated again on Saturday, and Sunday Night.

Here's the MONTE WALSH web page on TNT:

[url=http://www.tnt.tv/Title/Display/0,5918,437110,00.html]http://www.tnt.tv/Title/Display/0,5918,437110,00.html[/url]

• Hi there!

I'm not much for the new westerns. For one thing most of the leading men have done other types of movies and you can tell that they are trying to act tough and rugged. It's not the same as the old westerns. I think that is what made John Wayne so unique. He was who he was no matter where he was or what type of movie he was making. He never changed.
    I can't imagine him though in his 90's. I like to remember him before his final illness.

Thanks,
    LittleDuke

• I must say I'm not a big fan of today's westerns either! But, did find Monte Walsh refreshing, and I did like the Carrodine brothers in this movie.

The one thing that did strike me is the fact that this movie looked to much like a tv movie, it didn't have that "movie look" <_< like the old John Wayne movies did.

Kevin

• The movie was okay. I went back and forth from that to other programs. It cracked me up to see the man from The Natural in it with a wig on. His name is on the tip of my tongue. He's been in so many films it's William or Walter something like that. I knew it was him before I could see his face. His voice is unique. I feel like I'm betraying the Duke when I watch new westerns. I'm sorry they are just not the same.
    Little Duke

• I thought Monte Walsh was okay as far as tv westerns go, but it was not the same as watching a western on the big screen. Something just didn't feel right. Also it was almost a copy, scene for scene, of the original "Monte Walsh" which starred Lee Marvin and Jack Palance.
    If you get the chance watch or go rent the oiriginal. It is well worth it.
    Selleck is okay in TV movies, but he just doesn't carry the movie along like other stars ( namely Duke or Marvin) .
    By the way the actor you were trying to think of is Wilford Brimley. But I must have missed him in the movie. I believe you were thinking of the other Selleck western, where he's protecting the widow and her property from the sheriff and hired killer.

Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• Ethan you're probably right. Like I said I went back and forth with the movie, I don't think I even saw the beginning of the movie. I don't watch too much of todays programs and movies anyway. I received the movie Space Cowboys for Christmas because I never got to the movie theater to see it when it came out. What a great movie. I love the actors in it anyway. The old actors just seem so much more rugged or manly I guess.
    Glad to hear from ya,
    Little Duke

• Monte Walsh was ok.....Tom Selleck is good, but Sam Elliot is by far better.

I grew up watching the older actors Mitchum, Steward, Fonda, etc. I think they carried the westers better. And knowone tops the Duke.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Monte Walsh was good for a modern western :huh:
    I think Tom Sellecks best was Quigley Down Under :P
    But during the promotions for Monte Walsh, Stating that Tom Selleck is the next John Wayne :angry: Wrong

Monique ;)

P.S. The hottie from CSI was hotter than Selleck :rolleyes:

• Don't judge a Tom Selleck movie by Monte Walsh.It took me a few viewings and then it will grow on you. And yes the Carradines were good.(David Carradine was supposed to be in it also). It 's not your typical shoot em up. If you want to see 2 good Selleck Westerns,check out Last Stand at Saber River and Crossfire Trail. Saber River has David and Keith Carradine in it. Also I do think Selleck is the best since theDuke, mainly because if you watch his westerns and you feel he dominates the film and/or the scenes he's in or you feel he is in charge of the situation,much the way the Duke was,then you would have to feel the same way. Don't get me wrong,there's only one John Wayne,but Tom Selleck is the only actor that makes me feel like I do when I watch a John Wayne movie.

• Here we are, reviving one of the earliest threads on this message board! :lol:

We don't have cable, haven't had it for years, so didn't have an opportunity to see this when it was on TV. The Mrs. rented it recently, and we watched it tonight, on our HDTV, and it looked great. Awesome scenery - it definitely had a "movie look" for us!

We really enjoyed it - good plot, good acting, the Mrs. especially liked the musical score. It was a very interesting perspective, watching the end of an era, and Monte Walsh's resistance to it. Tom Selleck did a good job, and he did dominate many scenes, looking BIG and having a presence about him.

The Mrs. was bummed that there were no special features on the DVD (but amazingly, there were NO previews or ads of any kind!).

Yep - good movie!! :D

Chester :newyear:

• Hello All
    I own both versions of Monte Walsh, one being a copy sent by a good man who helped me understand that there is a lot to be said for not fixing an unbroken item. The new one I ended up buying by mistake when ordering a large group of westerns. I did not specify which version I wanted and they sent the new one. I also own the recent Broken Arrow with travolta as a result of the same kind of mistake on that one bulk order. I intend to watch them both on the weekend to see how they stack up. There is a parallel in our society to the theme of; change and reluctance to let go of an older way of living, especially when it's a good way.
    Murray

Greetings from North of the 49th