Without Reservations (1946)

There are 86 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 59,431 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• First, let me start off by saying I have always disliked this film. The plot is beyond juvenile and the lead actors were much too old to be playing the poorly written characters they were portraying in the story.

Seeing as I just received the new Warner box set, and that this film was included, I decided to see if time away from it had somehow made it a better movie. And do you know what I found...it's still a turkey! You know a movie is bad, when you keep checking the time to see how much longer it'll be before it ends. Claudette Colbert's every line delivery has a wine to it, that just gets under your skin (ooooohhhhhhh, Russssttttttty). And when was the last time an author of a book was treated like Queen Elizabeth. The film just goes on-and-on-and-on-and-on, and nothing ever happens.

This one is so bad, I can't ever imagine another time when I'll look thru all my Duke DVDs, and want to watch this one again.

• First, let me start off by saying I have always disliked this film. The plot is beyond juvenile and the lead actors were much too old to be playing the poorly written characters they were portraying in the story.

Seeing as I just received the new Warner box set, and that this film was included, I decided to see if time away from it had somehow made it a better movie. And do you know what I found...it's still a turkey! You know a movie is bad, when you keep checking the time to see how much longer it'll be before it ends. Claudette Colbert's every line delivery has a wine to it, that just gets under your skin (ooooohhhhhhh, Russssttttttty). And when was the last time an author of a book was treated like Queen Elizabeth. The film just goes on-and-on-and-on-and-on, and nothing ever happens.

This one is so bad, I can't ever imagine another time when I'll look thru all my Duke DVDs, and want to watch this one again.

Hi Falc,
    That you totally dislike this movie I understand quite well - my opinion is totally opposite, so it is nothing to descuss. What interests me - is DVD version is worth buying (I have this movie at VHS) and are there any features in this collection?
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Falc,
    That you totally dislike this movie I understand quite well - my opinion is totally opposite, so it is nothing to descuss. What interests me - is DVD version is worth buying (I have this movie at VHS) and are there any features in this collection?
    Regards,
    Senta

Hi Senta,

The DVD does have some minor extras, but nothing in connection with the film. For what it's worth, the transfer is fairly sharp, so if your a fan of the film (which it appears you are), then I do not believe you'd be disappointed with purchasing it.

And let me say, out of all the films Duke made during his long career, I could count the number of unwatchable ones on one hand. This just happens to be one of them (along with Reunion In France and Lady For A Night).

• Hi Falc,
    Thank you for the information. I'm planning to buy the whole collection - two of the titels I never seen (Trouble along the Way and Reunion in France), others I have mostly on VHS.
    May be I shall like Reunion in France too?
    Regards,
    Senta

• After watching this movie I realize why I only watched it one other time so long ago on VHS. It was a weak movie that was cute but had no substance. I'm not sure if it would get better, and I thought that Duke did his best to make it work, but the script and story line was not good. It is obvious that the cameos from Cary Grant and Jack Benny was put in to give it a little strength, but it just didn't take off. It is almost like Planes, Trains & Automobiles but worse. I know that most of you would say to Duke back then to stick with westerns and war movies.

I will watch this movie again, but it may be a long time when I forget about it. This is a part of the collection that came out last month.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike

1946 I would imagine it was around about this time that Duke was finally emerging from his spell of being the beefcake for the female stars like Joan Crawford and Claudette Colbert two years later he was starring in his own right.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have not seen this film but, fro the sounds of it, it sounds like looking at the poster artwork is much more satisfying? ;-D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• There were times when this film worked for me and others when the script did Ms Colbert no favors IMO. I have owned it for many years and only watched it three times. That sums it up for me.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• This title is available from Amazon, for a price! Starting at $34.99, for supposedly a used VHS copy! I suspect it might be out on DVD within a year or less, for less money.

Over at Bygone Video, it seems to be available for $16.95 plus shipping

Quite a bit of time has transpired since I posted the above information. If you've read through this thread, you can see Without Reservations is available as part of a boxed set, and also on its own in DVD, from Amazon, for $11.49.

Chester :newyear:

• I only recently bought this DVD and quite liked it. Can't say it's one of my top favourite films but enjoyable. It reminded me a little of It Happend One Night but that didn't bother me. The only time my eyebrow went up was after Rusty had as much confessed to be in love with Kit and he forgot all about her when that Mexican girl came in sight. All in all it gave me a few good chuckles and I definately will watch it again.

• Without Reservations (1946), starring Claudette Colbert and John Wayne, will air on TCM on Friday, August 12, at 4:15 p.m. EST. August 12 is Claudette Colbert day on TCM. August is "Summer Under the Stars" month where each day is dedicated to the films of one actor.

TCM description: "A woman writer falls for a war hero who's a perfect match for the hero of her latest novel."

• I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit, I thought it was mildly entertaining with a few good laughs. John Wayne was very funny at times, with good timing in his delivery. I also liked Colbert in the role of the author, she was great and I felt some chemistry beween the two.

A cosy little film I won't mind revisiting every now and then.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• This film, along with Reunion In France, are the only two films in John Wayne's long career, that I can never bring myself to watch again. All three leads were just too old to play the parts of such juvenile characters. This was painful obvious during the meeting with the Mexican family. The good news...the end of this film would mark the start of probably his greatest 10-year stretch of his moviemaking career.