Happiness Is A.........................

There are 54 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,870 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Looks like we have a few cat lovers here:wub: . Ginger just turned 18 in February. She's a long haired tabby and has started showing her age with slower movements (arthritis), but can caterwall up a storm when she wants something (we can't always figure out what it is, unless she's just announcing her entrance into the room.).
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• I don't much care about cats, except for the purpose of keeping rats out of stable. I had to live with a couple and they were a nuisance, destroyed things and smell of cat pee everywhere.
    Cats seem to like me, though. My previous flat was in the basement, and when I kept window open, cats came in. My next door neighbour's cat even used my flat as a short-cut through a row of houses, coming in from the window and demanding to be let out of the door, on the other side. Clever.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• My wife and I have always had a cat or a dog or both since we have been married. At one time we had 2 persian's and a "barn" cat. The 2 persian's have since passed but the "barn" cat is still going strong. He had some issues when the kids were born 6 years ago, he didn't like that some "new" people were moving in. We tried everything we could think of but he just couldn't get his head right, so we gave him to my wife's cousin because he basically never came out till the kids went to bed. About 2 weeks later my wife got a call from her cousin saying they couldn't take it anymore, Murhpy(that's his name) was up all night meowing/crying, very loud. So we had to go pick up the cat. And wouldn't you know, he snapped out of his funk and is now a functioning as a member of the family. He just needed to be sent to the physciatrist or the cat whisperer as we now call my wife's cousin.

We also have a yellow lab(Charlie) that is not quite a year old yet and a black terrier(Ella, from cinder-ella). The lab is my hunting dog but he is in the house, not the whole house, just the entry way. The terrier is the ankle warmer in the family!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• ringo & gt12pack

sounds like you both have a cat that if given clown shoes would have just as much fun. just reading what they have done made me laugh. one of my sisters cats talks to her and will walk around crying what sounds like mum till she(the cat) finds her(my sister). the other cat just jumps up onto things knocks things off then looks at my sister as if to say that wasnt me mum really. her dog loves them but hates strange cats.

Hi Smokey, glad to hear from you. Also, that cream colored kitten I mentioned in my first post--is THE Mr. Kelly that I mentioned above. Only now, he is a huge cat, for his age.

They both slept inside last night adn they both took turns hogging up most of my Queen sized bad. I made the mistake of falling asleep in my rocking chair and had to scoot the mother cat over some (as much as I hated waking her) just so I could lay down on my bed. Mr. Kelly then decided to take this opportunity to attack his mother (who was in no mood for his clowing around) so Shasta gave him a Fffttttt and a growl - then jumped off my bed to find a corner to fall asleep in. That did not bother Mr, Kelly because he immediately occupied the spot on the bad that SHasta had been sleeping on.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I've gotten a little behind lately... I hope to put in some time this weekend and hopefully finish up the website of our trip to Winternet. I still have many more pictures to share. Trying to juggle the new forum and dealing with an ailing 16 year old cat has taken it's toll. Today we were told our cat had an osteosarcoma of the right rear leg joint. The joint was fused with a 2" growth. Amputation was the only option was it was malignant so after a set of x-rays we decided there was only one humane option. We had to put poor Priscilla to sleep today.

She's the one in the middle. So hopefully things will get back on track shortly.

• I am so sorry for your loss, Mike. I have a house full of cats myself and know how hard it is to say goodbuy to a furry friend. I've lost a few of them myself the last 2 years. My condolences to you.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• i'm sorry you have lost a loved member of your family. while i don't have cats i do like them if they are cared for, i have to say you have lovely looking cats. is the grey on burmees it looks very similar to my sisters old cat. she was called trixie but to us she was trickywoo, we had to make that same choice as trixie had cancer of the jaw bone. my sister now has 2 cats who are loved to death by her and our justin. hope you are remembering all of the wonderful times you had with you much loved friend.
    cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• is the grey on burmees it looks very similar to my sisters old cat.
    cheers smokey

Actually they are all mixed domestic cats. I won't pay for some purebred when there are so many shelter cats that need homes. My wife got the gray one about 14 years ago from another nurse at the hospital. They had a litter and my wife liked how he looked plus he's part Siamese. I'm glad she did because most of the rest of the litter ended up to be coyote food. When we got married the gray started to stick to me like glue. When I used to work he would know when I'm coming home before he even saw the truck. He knows when I'm not feeling well and won't leave my side. He gives me these looks like the cat is Shrek that just make you melt. He likes to pose also. Some people think cat lovers are nuts but I have a codicil that Oscar Wayne will be buried with me no matter who goes first.

(When he was 12 years old)

Our newest cat Henry Arthur. He was born on a farm, although he wasn't ferule he was pretty close. He was hard to handle when we first got him. He was about as close to wild as he could get. But he went from this:

....... to this.......
    (When he was 9 months old to when he turned 2 years old this spring.)

and he's about one of the nicest cats we've had. In two years we transformed him, besides the obvious weight gain. :wink_smile:

But back to the topic at hand, we will surely miss Priscilla Anne.

(When she was 14 years old.)

• Sorry to hear about loosing a cat DS. We are animal lovers in our house as well. At one time we had 3 cats and a dog. We saved 1 of them, a Persian(Elvis) from a animal testing lab in Iowa, the other Persain(Sophie) was a gift and the other was a barn cat(Murphy). The dog was my hunting dog(Jessie), a lab. That was almost 14 years ago. Since then the 2 persians have past on as well as the lab. The grey barn cat(Murphy) that we had is still with us but we added another lab(Charlie), hunting dog and a lap dog(Ella) that looks like Toto from "The Wizard of Oz", she was picked up as a stray.

I would love to add another cat but my wife and I need a break from the hair so we are just taking it easy with animals for now. If/when we do add another I would love to get a Nowegian Forest Cat or a Maine Coon Cat. I know they are purebreds but I love the way those 2 breeds look.

Anyways, my condolences, its tough to loose pet.

-John Wayne

• Hi Dakota, sorry to read that you lost one of your Cats. Im a cat-lover and enjoy their company. Like you, they hear the sound of my car and are waiting for me before I park. The male cat has such a long tail that-without stooping over, I can hold the tip of his tail while we are walking towards my apartment--gets a laugh from all my neighbors.

I have two myself-not including the three cute kittens the mother just had about 2 weeks ago. None of mine are pure-breeds and all have long hair. All three kittnes are longhaired as well.

• hi ds

my sisters cat trixie was a pound pussy, her sisters and brothers were all handed in to the pound because they didn't meet show ring standards. the owner was a breeder, trixie had what they called white feathers in her fur (just a few stray white hairs sprinkled throughout her coat). our dad picked her out. most of our dogs have been pound puppies or farm dogs.
    my dog she is a farm dog from out near mount tribune about 1-11/2 drive from where i live. she cost us just $40 (dad was the blue cattle dog from the dairy down the road mum was the red from the property where we got her).
    all of the last animals 2 have been from animal rescue (1 cat ,1 dog) other cat from a pet shop sister took pitty on her and bought her.
    the only time we have had pure breed dogs was when we were showing them for a friend of my dads years ago (they were Queensland Blue Heelers, cattle dogs) love the breed and will continue to own one when ever i can, my dog is 14 yrs old and still has her teeth but is slowing down.
    just a short one if the cat goes before you will you be having the pets at peace do the job mum had our old dog done by them and they returned him in a lovely urn with a footprint, tuft of hair and a poem. they also contacted mum after he came back home to see if she was alright and liked what they had done. over here they will pick up from home or the vets. it cost about $280 but if we had wanted a different urn that would have affected the price.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• DS,

Sorry about your loss, we have had to have 2 of ours put down in the last year or so and I can tell you this Marine wept like a child. We just lost my wifes favorite on June 1 and he was cremated and he will be in with Mona when she goes. We still have 5 and only one is a designer cat. I have a blue male Himlayan I paid big money for 15 years ago and i don't think he will ever go, he's to mean and grouchy. I couldn't live without ours, we both have terrible allergies now but the cats are staying. Our house wouldn't be a home without the cats.

Mona and I were thrilled when we found out at one of our block parties, that we are known as the strange couple with cats:hyper:

"John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor,John Wayne is the United States of America."

• Sorry to be so late in expressing my sympathy DS. Have not been well...

I too love cats and dogs as well. My Rott had cancer in his leg and it about killed me to put him down. First we were told he had arthritis and he needed a $2000.00 surgery. We got the money together and went back only to discover the cancer. The vet said Reno was the best Rott he had ever seen and he would clone him if possible. I got him at the rescue and he quickly became my protective shadow. The grandchildren adored him and would sit on his back while he laid at his food bowl. He was my heart, and even though it's been 7 years I still grieve, crying at the pain I still feel over the loss of my beloved Reno.

My heart is with you and your wife, dear man.

Cindy

• Cindy, my cat had three kittens abiout 3 weeks ago. 2 males one female. Both males are solid white and light sand color--the femals is mostly black with white splotches. All are long haired. I would love to give you one or all-as soon as they are weened. ;-))

• DS, we're a little belated as well in expressing our sympathy over the loss of your cat - it can be a tough thing to lose a beloved pet. :cry2:

On a different note, have you folks heard about the nursing home cat who seems able to sense death? I've been hearing about it on the radio since yesterday.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• No offense Chester and Mrs C but I don't want a cat around that can do that. When its time for me to go just want to go!!!

-John Wayne

• DS, we're a little belated as well in expressing our sympathy over the loss of your cat - it can be a tough thing to lose a beloved pet. :cry2:

On a different note, have you folks heard about the nursing home cat who seems able to sense death? I've been hearing about it on the radio since yesterday.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

I saw it on CNN this morning. Not a cat that I'd want roaming around my house but cats do have a keen sense. If I'm not feeling well or having a bad day, my cat is right there, wanting to stay close. And cats do wonder for the nerves.

• Ginger has been staying close to my wife, who is bedridden.:doctor: She seems to sense her pain and lays down on the bed with her or even climbs up on her chest. My wife says that when she lays down on her, she can barely feel her weight. She is a great sense of comfort to her.:smile:

"Not hardly!!!"