Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,375,145 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Dark Knight (2008) In my humble and unasked for opinion this is the best Batman movie yet. Irregardless of what you think of Bale. It's also my favorite movie of 08.

I agree.
    My Wife and I watched it and it is a very good movie. I don't like Bale, but Freeman and Caine make up for him. The Joker was very good. He added some things to the character others have missed.
    I must say, we could not see what the two characters saw in the lady who got killed. My Wife and I looked at each other when they kept calling her beautiful.:omg: I felt the urge to clean my glasses.:twitchsmile:

• A rather strange movie with Walter Matthau and Elaine May called A New Leaf, from 1971.

Here's a blurb from IMDb -
    Playboy Henry Graham squanders his wealth and must seek out a new source to maintain his idle rich lifestyle. The easy alternative to work is to find a rich woman, marry her, and murder her. Klutzy, nerdy Henrietta Lowell is the ideal candidate. But in dealing with his klutzy, nerdy, trusting new wife, a botanist, and her ill-managed estate, Henry unwittingly begins to assume some sense of responsibility, not realizing this while planning to do away with Henrietta on one droll camping trip... Written by NYK

• Hi

Slumdog Millionaire
    an interesting film and very thought provoking not in any way what I imagined it to be.
    Incidentally the director returned to Manchester this week and the first thing he did was take his dad out for a drink at the local working mans club complete with his oscar.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Michael Shayne, Private Detective series The Man Who Wouldn't Die. A pretty cheesy movie, but entertaining in a serial kind of way.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Hi

With nothing I fancied on afternoon films I got the video out and watched Captain Horation Hornblower for god knows the umpteenth time. Still watchable, still one of my all time favourite films and to top it off on the same tape the Hollywood Greats with John Wayne

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• It's funny, Art, I loved C.S. Forester's books about Hornblower but didn't care that much for the film. I think it was the presence of Virginia Mayo that turned me off. IMO, the real Hornblower wouldn't have become involved with a female because with him, duty came first, last and always.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim

I think it was because a lot of the film was shot in the Naval Base at Portsmouth. Apparently all Virginia Mayo did when she wasn't in front of the camera was sit in a car with a blanket wrapped round her and complain about the cold.
    Some of the people I later worked with were in the film dressed up as sailors and were climbing the shrouds.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello All
    As some may recall I have posted in the past about Donovan's Reef, specifically that I like many aspects of the script/storyline. Also I like the scenery and the cast. As far as John Ford goes I will never forget that he had his weaknesses as a person and must also acknowledge his strengths. Sometimes when you present your talents in a consistent pattern and then offer a different style or representation of your gifts it seems like poor showing to those who would prefer more of what they have seen. I could go into details about what appeals to me in this film and yet that would seem to be off topic or at least digression. So Jim and Mark and any other good member who does not like this film will always have my respect and I will reserve the right to agree to disagree about the value of this movie. I have yet to watch a John Wayne film that failed to offer me something of value. Sure and it's a bit of the Irish bias maybe.
    Have the best day your circumstances will allow ( and then steal a little bit more joy just because ) Who are we, we are the members of the the UN official JW Message ( not bored ) Board. PS I always wanted to be a member of a board but I used to think that would have to include ties and too much focus on $ and too little thought about people. WAY off topic I'm outta here, keep smiling :wink_smile:

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I watched "Star Wars Episode IV" and I am going to watch "The Empire Strikes Back" this Evening - I like to watch these Star Wars movies from time to time again...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Total Recall with Arnie in. first time i've managed to watch it all the way through

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Changeling with Angelina Jolie. This is a really good movie, and Clint (the director) Eastwood did a great job. This movie was totally unexpected, and a must see for the movie goer or video viewer. Just remember it is rated "R" and not suitable to children for good reason.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote