Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,418,539 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just got though watching "Sergeant York" with Gary Cooper that was made in 1941 and I had Forgotten how Great the Film was and how Great Gary Cooper was in the Film !

:ohmy:
    Chilibill

:cowboy:

Funny you should mention Sergeant York, I watched it after I watched: Hart's War. Anyway, Sergeant York is an all around great movie. Hart's War is one that I really liked, then hated, and now I like it again.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I've been working my way through the boxed set of "Band of Brothers", a miniseries that originally appeared on HBO. It's about a platoon of 101st Airborne paratroopers who served in WW2. Not bad, though I've seen war movies I liked better. It was produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, which was kinda surprising (I thought).
    Anyway, there's lot of action after their drop into Normandy.

I need to revise my opinion highlighted in red above. I finally finished all episodes of this miniseries and I highly recommend it - it's one of the most authentically created and acted films I've ever seen. You'd almost swear you were actually accompanying this airborne unit all the way from their drop into Normandy to Hitler's Adlerhorst (Eagle's Nest) near Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps. Very realistic sets and combat action. And each episode begins with some reminiscing by actual former members of the unit itself. Excellent series.

Wanted to add a few words to this post. I've actually visited Hitler's mountaintop aerie near Berchtesgaden and I told my wife afterwards that I could understand Hitler's delusions of grandeur because the view from that place is magnificent looking out over parts of the Bavarian and Austrian Alps. The place itself has been converted into a very spectacularly-situated restaurant. But I've studied quite a bit of history from that era and according to everything I've read, Hitler spent very little time in the mountaintop retreat itself. His favorite haunt was further down the mountain.

In the last episode, some of the scenes are shot in what looks like the Eagle's Nest itself.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Watched Western Union (1941), with Randolph Scott, and Robert Young (Father Knows Best fame). It also had Chill Wills in it, and John Carradine.

Very watchable movie, about a group of guys working for Western Union in the 1860's running telegraph lines in Indian territory.

• Just caught up with both "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "Love Me Or Leave Me" on dvd (both part of a stocktake sale at our local Woolworths store) -- quite a double feature....no theatre would be adventurous to program those pictures on the same bill!

Regarding John Wayne movies, finally caught up with "Island In The Sky", a terrific movie--amazing to think that the Duke starred in two of the first disaster movies--this one and "The High And The Mighty". One would suspect that if these movies were still in circulation in the 1970s, the Duke may have been considered for roles in that decade's epics, like "Airport" or "The Towering Inferno"--maybe he was and preferred to stick with westerns and cop thrillers. Still, I think he would have held his own in these movies.

• Just finished watching the pilot episode to the series: The Fall Guy. This show was some great escapism and Heather Thomas was a hottie!! :hyper: :hyper: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• In the past, many folks have mentioned I look and my voice sounds a lot like the actor
    John Goodman, I was flattered, sort of..:glare:

After having just watched Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon, I will be taking serious exception to those comparisons. :stunned:

This movie was very close to the edge of " too much violence"

Chester :newyear:

• Watched episode 2-3 of The Fall Guy which had guests including Robert Wagner, Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez, and Milton Berle - respectively. This show is refreshing to watch again.

Forgot to mention that I also watched: "Angels With Dirty Faces" which of course had some non-Duke favorites of mine including: James Francis Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Humphrey Bogart. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• Wow, completely forgot about the Fall Guy series. Is that the show that had Lee Majors in it?

Hi Kevin, yep, not only Lee Majors but also Heather Thomas and Douglas Barr. If im not too mistaken, I THINK Markie Post took over the role of the Bail-Bonds Lady in later seasons.

I admit that I was a bit skeptical about buying it but glad I did. I have not enjoyed anything on TV as much as I had when watching the pilot episode. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy watching Lee Majors. :wink:

Forgot to mention, episode Nr. 4) has Richard Kiel in it (he played "Jaws" in a few James Bond movies)

• I guess the teenage son and his friends are on a 'revenge' theme this week, as last night they watched The Punisher. Since the TV and computer are in the same room, I watched by default.

Both were extremely violent.

I think I'll stick with what the good Book says . . . "Vengeance is MINE," sayeth the Lord.

It's hard to imagine that people can be so horrible to other human beings :vomit:.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• national treasure book of secrets. different clues different treasure same everything else. two stars out of five.:yeaahh:

BILL OF PA,

I take it that you don't recommend this movie.

I've heard from both sides of the movie, and wondered why you gave it on 2 out of 5 stars?

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I watched L.A. Confidential with Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger. It's been a few years since I saw it last, and I forgot what a great movie it was.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I watched L.A. Confidential with Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger. It's been a few years since I saw it last, and I forgot what a great movie it was.

Mark

I too thought it was a great movie and it's my favorite Crowe film.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi

Pirates of the Carribean At Worlds End.

We were sitting in the cabin of a ferry travelling through the Bay of Biscay coming back from Spain watching it on a DVD player.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low