PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,731 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• You can dump bad users... Control Panel and User Accounts will let you select and delete. Now I just use one since I'm the only one using it.

• I got the following in an email recently, regarding forwarding of emails and protecting our privacy and that of others, and thought it might be useful to some folks here.

Surfer, the Mrs. says "thanks" for adding the HOW of dumping the bad profile!

Chester :newyear:

• Thanka both Sue and Surfer for that, I've already opened
    up a new User Account, and copied stuff across, and relegated the old one.

Regarding Emails, thanks Surfer for that info.
    I learnt along time ago, to read all mails,
    on the servers, site, therfore quarantining any 'bugs.
    I only bring into Outlook, the one's I trust!
    Hopefully, this sorts them out.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• On a Different Note...

Daylight savings time is coming and in case you haven't heard, the Government has changed it this year. This little change will cause your PC clock and emails to show the wrong time unless you apply a patch from Microsoft.

If you go out to Microsoft.com and do a search for DST you will find the patch there.

Have fun!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Try going here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and running housecall and see if it finds anything.

Hi Eric,

Tried this program,
    it whizzes through, so far
    but half way through, checking files and folders,
    it seems to freeze,and even though I leave it on,
    there seems to lots of activity on the PC,
    but the red indicator and timer on the housecall, are frozen,
    and it goes no further, and doesn't complete!!

Any ideas?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith,

I've used the Trend program before, and not had that happen, that I can recall.

In a similar vein, I'm sure we're not the only ones who have had a hard drive crash, causing the loss of a massive amount of information. Recently, the Mrs. picked up a portable hard drive, small enough to fit in a pocket, with 160 GB of space on it, to back up our computers. One thing we've learned is that anytime we start having minor problems, big ones are just around the corner, and you'd better have your stuff protected. This little external hard drive apparently makes it possible to access our files through any computer to which we connect it (it shows up in My Computer as an additional drive which can be accessed).

Chester :newyear:

• I think my problem has been sorted, I removed a lot of rubbish that was loading up on the system when it was booting up and while its still a little slow it is much improved and thanks to all who helped me.

Incidentally how do I get my anti virus programme called AVG to load up automatically within the task bar at the bottom of the screen when the system boots up.

Thanks again.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• It should load automatically by default on system startup. Check under the options/preferences. It should be in there.

By the way, I am not so sure that you don't have a trojan or other sneaky virus. You mentioned before that Trend Micro antivirus hangs on a file check, and now your AVG doesn't start up automatically?? It might just a be a setting but it sure does sound odd. If it was my computer that was doing this, I would have backed up my important files and formatted and reloaded the OS already.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Have any of you computer-savvy people ever recorded music from a turntable or tape deck to a CD or DVD, via your computer? Can it be done through the "line in" jack?

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Yes I have Jim. You'll need a phono to mini-jack cable and find a piece of software to record with. When I did it I used software from a computer magazine, but I would think there are dozens of free utilities that you can use if you don't already have one on your computer. Recording software often comes bundled with your sound card.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• There's your answer Stumpy. And yes, it doesn't sound to bad either. Obviously the source has to be in good condition to get the decent sound.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Thanks for the info, guys. I realized after I posted that I forgot to ask if I needed special software or not.

I recently won an LP in an ebay auction that's supposed to be in mint condition so guess there'll be no problem with the source.

I also have a big collection of vinyl records from my pre-CD and pre-computer days that I'd like to extract some of the music to CDs.

• Instead of initiating a whole new thread, I'll post this here.

There are two scientific achievements I'd like to see take place during my lifetime. One is time travel and the other is this.

• Yes I have Jim. You'll need a phono to mini-jack cable and find a piece of software to record with. When I did it I used software from a computer magazine, but I would think there are dozens of free utilities that you can use if you don't already have one on your computer. Recording software often comes bundled with your sound card.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

Can you clarify something for me, PV?

As you know, the output on a stereo receiver or tape deck consists of two channels, or connecting cables, normally red and white. Yet the computer only has the one "line in" jack. Or at least my computer only has one.

How do you reconcile the two-for-one difference to achieve a stereo effect on the CD/DVD that you burn?

BTW, I downloaded a free program (Musicmatch Jukebox) that will enable me to burn a CD/DVD using an external source for the sound.

• Hi Jim.

It is in the plug. The mini jack end has two channels (one in the tip and one in the base of the plug). They cables goes to one plug each. If you go into an electronics shop or a hi-fi dealer and explain what you are going to connect he will give you the right cable. It shouldn't cost more than a few dollars.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Hi Jim.

It is in the plug. The mini jack end has two channels (one in the tip and one in the base of the plug). They cables goes to one plug each. If you go into an electronics shop or a hi-fi dealer and explain what you are going to connect he will give you the right cable. It shouldn't cost more than a few dollars.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

Thanks, PV - you've been very helpful and informative. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get around to doing it.

• Have a neighbor who drives me absolutely nuts calling my wife wanting to gossip. Told the wife I was gonna get her a set of walkie-talkies so she and the neighbor could blab to their heart's content while not monopolizing the phone. Anybody know of a good reliable brand of walkie-talkie with range of a mile or two?

• My wife and I had Nextel for two years because we were stuck behind a contract. It was the biggest ripoff I've ever dealt with. After the 2 years we went back to our old carrier and we are much happier. The Nextel agent lied to us and the customer service never helped us with the problems. Plus when we tried to disconnect and change I did it on the day we signed the original contract, Nextel tried to charge us early disconnect fees. Had to have my lawyer send them a letter to back off or else. I wouldn't wish Nextel on my worse enemy.

• My wife and I had Nextel for two years because we were stuck behind a contract. It was the biggest ripoff I've ever dealt with. After the 2 years we went back to our old carrier and we are much happier. The Nextel agent lied to us and the customer service never helped us with the problems. Plus when we tried to disconnect and change I did it on the day we signed the original contract, Nextel tried to charge us early disconnect fees. Had to have my lawyer send them a letter to back off or else. I wouldn't wish Nextel on my worse enemy.

From what you've said here, Nextel sounds more like a cell phone company than the brand of a walkie-talkie. The device I'm thinking of shouldn't require the "services" of an umbrella company.