PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,781 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Yeah like DS says. You would have to be able to get the out put from your cassette player to the media input on your computer. Should'nt be to hard to do if you head over to a Radio Shack type store and tell them what your inputs and outputs are.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Even if you had a stereo setup with a CD and Cassette players. You could connect it with the audio outut to the audio input on a CD or DVD recorder. It's not as common of a transfer but can be done.

• Just a update, For my bday I got some money so I decided to upgrade my monitor for my computer. I went with a LG 22in widescreen LCD.

And I just wanted to tell anybody who might be upgrading there monitors that the forum here fills out the entire page as some sites use the "fullscreen" ratio ours here uses the widescreen ratio.

-John Wayne

• Following a tip on another forum I thought I would try to garner some feedback here.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy however I have been informed that there are better packages available such as SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator and Threatfire. Does any know anything about these packages? Are they worth downloading?

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Following a tip on another forum I thought I would try to garner some feedback here.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy however I have been informed that there are better packages available such as SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator and Threatfire. Does any know anything about these packages? Are they worth downloading?

I bought a new computer about 3 months ago, Rob, and did quite a bit of research for security software. According to Consumer Reports magazine (a widely respected source here in the states), their "best" software is Trend Micro's Security Suite 2008, which is what I ended up buying and installing on the new computer. It includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, a firewall; well, in fact, just about every kind of protection you can name. I'm thinking of upgrading to their "pro" version because its supposed to encrypt all your keystrokes, so the hackers can't record your passwords and other info. The program is easy to use too. And it wasn't all that expensive. I paid $40. for the year's subscription.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I use Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, PC Doctor (from Google) and AVG for anti-virus and spyware. I use these because there are no free versions of these that catch all the bad stuff, but with these I catch 98% of what a program I would pay for would.

As to your question on the others, well I never heard of them so I am not much help there... but there are a bounch of so called free spybot killers out there that are themselfs spybots... so be careful...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• I use Super antispyware and the firewall/antivirus program that my internet provider has. I have had no problems with this setup. I used to use SpyBot but it wouldn't pick everything up. I had a problem with my work laptop and used Super antispyware and that thing saved my butt.

I would be careful though loading a bunch of antivirus/spyware programs though, it may seem that more is better but your system will slow down considerably because all those programs load up in your memory and are scanning all the inbound/outbound activity and that can really tax a system, even one that has lots of memory and a fast processor.

-John Wayne

• I would be careful though loading a bunch of antivirus/spyware programs though, it may seem that more is better but your system will slow down considerably because all those programs load up in your memory and are scanning all the inbound/outbound activity and that can really tax a system, even one that has lots of memory and a fast processor.

You got that right, Todd.

In the article rating Trend Micro's program as best, Consumer Reports recommended that the computer have a minimum of 1 Gb of RAM. My new 'puter has 3 gigs so there's been no slowdown of performance.

• yeah I don't have mine running all the time, I just use them to scan my system once a month. If your careful about downloading files and the sites you go to, you really don't need them running 24/7... just set aside some time once a month and run them and you will be fine.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Is anyone else experiencing problems negotiating the web today? Nearly all day, every time I click on a link, nothing happens, no matter what web site I'm on. Wonder if the hackers are hard at work corrupting the browsers?

• No slow downs here.

Possibly it's just my browser. But I have a practically brand-new Dell computer with Vista Home Premium OS plus all the required updates, an excellent anti-malware program with all required updates. I have 3 GB of RAM and more than 300 GB of HD space. So I somehow don't think it's my machine.

• Possibly it's just my browser. But I have a practically brand-new Dell computer with Vista Home Premium OS plus all the required updates, an excellent anti-malware program with all required updates. I have 3 GB of RAM and more than 300 GB of HD space. So I somehow don't think it's my machine.

Hi Jim/Kevin

I have had several error messages today stating "Page Could Not Be Loaded" when trying to access this forum, however I had no problems accessing other web sites.

Regards
    Robbie

• Possibly it's just my browser. But I have a practically brand-new Dell computer with Vista Home Premium OS plus all the required updates, an excellent anti-malware program with all required updates. I have 3 GB of RAM and more than 300 GB of HD space. So I somehow don't think it's my machine.

It's probably not you computer, but your ISP could be experiencing technical difficulties. I haven't had any problems accessing this site.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I've had several times of sluggish response on the JWMB for the last week when a topic takes several minutes to respond. There have been a few times when the page has locked up when I've been replying to a topic and then cleared after a few minutes.
    Cheers - Jay:glare:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• My navigation problems haven't been just with this forum but with all web sites, including a speed test site I use, which suggests a problem with the browser. That's what led me to think that maybe hackers had initiated a DOS (denial of service) attack on the whole web.

• What's your browser Stumpy? If its IE try using Mozilla and vice versa. Recently I have even been giving Apple's new browser called Safari a whirl. Haven't had any trouble with it yet.

-John Wayne

• What's your browser Stumpy? If its IE try using Mozilla and vice versa. Recently I have even been giving Apple's new browser called Safari a whirl. Haven't had any trouble with it yet.

My browser is IE, Todd. I'll take your advice but can you tell me if I can use that Apple browser with a Microsoft OS?