PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,085 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I downloaded the beta for IE8 and took it off within about 2 hours of using it. The beta was very buggy, atleast the version that I had. I too am now running the final release and it seems to be ok. But, it is a Microsoft product so be prepared to find a few bugs in it!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Microsoft is a crap company, avoid using any of their products until at least the second year after its release.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Dear Folks,

Believe it or not, we're still having the odd problem with sites that don't work well with IE 7. I don't even want to think about going to IE 8 for some time to come and then only after testing.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I am part of the Microsoft beta project and don't use IE8.:embaressed_smile:
    I have version 6 that I use only if necessay, and my main browser is Firefox.

I have done the beta for Microsoft Windows from 95 up and Windows XP-7 in German and English. Windows 7 should be good once they set all the boundaries. I still love Linux, Ubuntu is my favorite.

• Once Linux become's more "user friendly" ie for the masses. Watch out MS!!

IE8 for my web browsing actually looks alot better for most of the website's that I am on. And I do use Firefox as well which I like. I just use both as I like to see how both work since at times in my job I can use/see both.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• IE8 sucks! I hate it. It slows the system down as well. Hopefully they will fix the glitches with a downloadable patch...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• Hi All

I'm trying to remove a firewall from my system called ZoneAlarm, however when I attempt to uninstall it the following error message appears, how do I deal with this?

True vector internet monitor was not uninstalled.

The uninstaller was not able to stop the true vector software services. This will happen if other software is using the true vector engine.

To uninstall ZoneAlarm make sure all other true vector based programs have been uninstalled.

Thanks

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• the only way to get rid of it is to go into safe mode and delete the files. Then after reboot do a regedit and remove every key that references zonealarm.

It's a pain, but from what I have seen it's the only way.

Hope that helps....

• I'm still using IE6 and I'm going to have to switch soon. I'm not going to upgrade to another IE. I'm going to Google Chrome. Will I lose all my favorites and other things when I switch?

• Chrome should have an option for you to import all your bookmarks.

If they don't, then I would suggest FireFox 3

• I tried Chrome a while back, was still in beta... heck don't know could still be in beta... anyway, I did not like it at all, here's why...

First, it took over my system like AOL stuff does. After I installed it I could not get my system to revert to FireFox as my primary browser. Also after uninstalling I had to go into the registry to delete any instance that was left. I was just a big pain in the backside.

Second, I develop web applications and websites. Chrome just did not have the tools I need to do my job. Which made point one even more frustrating...

Third, I have tried other Google apps and just plain don't like most of them. Some of them are cool, at first, but I just don't like most of them.

• I have tried other Google apps and just plain don't like most of them. Some of them are cool, at first, but I just don't like most of them.

I like Picasa for handling photos, especially for downsizing the file size so they can be more easily emailed. I also use Google Maps almost every day.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, how many are gonna go with Windows 7, the latest release from MS?

I'm the type who usually likes to have the latest and greatest but I think I'll wait awhile and let the bugs be ironed out before I make the jump. All the IT types are singing its' praises but every single OS out of Redmond has had bugs that required patches. There have been many times in the past 10 or 12 years that I've been tempted to go back to Apple (I was an Apple computer user from 1984 until about 1997) but because of the vast differences in software development, I've stayed with MS.

• Not for a while. I remember the IT press raved about Vista, how it was going to revolutionise computing. It nearly caused a revolution against MS. I gave up believing what I read in the IT journals long time ago. I will wait for SP1 then move over.

My netbook and laptop run sweetly on XP and my all-singing-all-dancing newish desktop with Vista sucks. The hard drive thrashes all the time - a common complaint about Vista.

Bob

• I will wait for SP1 then move over.

My netbook and laptop run sweetly on XP and my all-singing-all-dancing newish desktop with Vista sucks. The hard drive thrashes all the time - a common complaint about Vista.

Bob

I think I'll wait for SP1 also, Bob.

I've read all the complaints about Vista but I guess I've been lucky as I've never had all that many problems with it. Of course, I've kept up with all the updates and don't have a lot of software loaded on my two boxes (one desktop and one laptop). I have Vista Home Premium on the desktop and Vista Ultimate on the laptop. I have good malware protection on both (Norton Security Suite). I use the desktop primarily for surfing the 'net and emailing, plus storage of music & photos. The laptop is used mostly for backup of what I have on the desktop, plus taking it with me when I travel. I've got 4 gigs of RAM on the desktop and 6 gigs on the laptop. I've concluded that I actually ordered too much RAM for the laptop because it's only a 32 bit machine and is pretty slow in booting up and running scans. I'm probably gonna give the laptop to a granddaughter and buy a new one after SP1. I notice the new ones are 64 bit so they should run considerably faster.