Adding A Few Dvd's To My Collection

There are 25 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,059 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Since it is Christmas time I decided to break down and buy myself a few new DVD's. I have ordered them from Deep Discount DVD and just wanted to ask if anyone else has the titles and how the quality is.

Here are the titles:

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE/FLYING LEATHER NECKS

THE BIG TRAIL

JOHN WAYNE-AMERICAN ICON COLLECTION which has:
    SEVEN SINNERS
    THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS
    PITTSBURGH
    THE CONQUEROR
    JET PILOT

These are all titles I do not have yet, I guess I'm just feeling a little nervus since this is the most money I have spent on myself in two years and I just want to know that I made some good choices.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hi

I recently spent out on a number of DVD's including the ones you have bought they weren't labelled American Icon but the Seven inners one looked very good.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• erthomp143,

The ones you listed are fine. The Big Trail is older film and the texture is a little grainy, but it is fine. I have all of the films. They Were Expendable/The Flying Leathernecks in the double disc is fine as far as I know, I have both but on individual package.

They would be a great addition to your collection, and as for the Iconic Collection, that is one that you will enjoy since Pittsburgh, Shepherd of the Hills, and Seven Sinners are released for the first time and Jet Pilot and The Conqueror are much better quality.

Enjoy, Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Iconic Collection is a good set, and yes Jet Pilot and The Conqueror were of better quality than the nock offs available before.

Roger.

• I hope you have a great Christmas erthomp143. You will enjoy those movies and will add to your holiday viewing.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Sounds like you all got some nice movies. I got a few as well.

The Longest Day (Special Edition)
    Guadalcanal Diary.
    Beverly Hills Cop.
    Bat 21.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hey Ringo, I picked up the SE version of The Longest Day as well. Lots of extras that are worth watching on the second disc. You will not be disappointed.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey Ringo, I picked up the SE version of The Longest Day as well. Lots of extras that are worth watching on the second disc. You will not be disappointed.

Hi Todd, I watched the extras on TLD and liked what I saw. I remember some of the documentaries on it were played on TCM sometime ago.

Oh and, here is another "MUST SEE" movie recommendation for you. If you liked: Decision Before Dawn, you will also like watching Gregory Peck in: Captain Horatio Hornblower. I am VERY excited that this great film will be on DvD in about 2 months. If you like period movies, you will love this one. I think it was filmed and released in 1951, is in color and has great sound. Besides that, the acters & actresses in this film are all very good. I place this film as one of the three best movies of it's kind. It is a tie along with Flynn's: Seahawk and Gable's: Mutiny On the Bounty.

• My movies came today...

So far I have watched Seven Sinners, The Big Trail and THEY WERE EXPENDABLE.

All have been great... they also bring my movie collection to 71 movies.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Jet Pilot and The Conqueror are much better quality.

Enjoy, Cheers :cool: Hondo

Actually Hondo, that is not a true statement. Goodtimes had a contract with Universal to release some of their films to DVD, and as such, were licensed with the original film elements. If you do a side by side comparison, you will see no difference between the films.

And to be completely honest, the Goodtimes release of 'The Conqueror' is actually superior to the Universal one. Goodtimes had the common sense to include the film's six-track stereo soundtrack onto the DVD, while Universal just slapped on a mono soundtrack. Listen to the Goodtimes version thru external speakers, and you will be amazed at how good Victor Young's score was for this film.

• Cool Hand Luke was my latest DvD purchase. Walmart currently has them for sale at just over 4 bucks.

Thanks for that little bit of info. I will be heading over to Wally World to pick that up

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate.........." :yeaahh:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Thanks for that little bit of info. I will be heading over to Wally World to pick that up

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate.........." :yeaahh:

Yeah...loved that line ;-))

Also: "I'm shakin it boss....im shaking it boss........im still shaking it boss........"

Todd, can you imagine trying to eat 50 hard-boiled eggs? Not me, i'd be sick as can be after maybe 6 eggs.:stunned:

• Hi

I have just collected the following DVDs from the Post Office:-

Rookie of the Year/Flashing Spikes
    Arizona
    Wyoming Outlaw
    Maker of Men
    & The Life of Jimmy Dolan

They were advertised by the John Wayne Film Society and are a Sherwood Release DVD.
    I haven't seen Flashing Spikes so I am looking forward to that. The others were bought to replace the existing ones that I have on tape. At around £60.00 they might be considered expensive but what the heck.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur,

Wow! I haven't seen those titles available on DVD anywhere else, that I can think of. My question would be is, Are they only Region 2, or can they be viewed elsewhere?

I realize there is already another thread regarding the JW Film Society, but would you mind repeating the contact info here, for those who may not have seen the other thread?

Chester :newyear:

• Actually Hondo, that is not a true statement. Goodtimes had a contract with Universal to release some of their films to DVD, and as such, were licensed with the original film elements. If you do a side by side comparison, you will see no difference between the films.

And to be completely honest, the Goodtimes release of 'The Conqueror' is actually superior to the Universal one. Goodtimes had the common sense to include the film's six-track stereo soundtrack onto the DVD, while Universal just slapped on a mono soundtrack. Listen to the Goodtimes version thru external speakers, and you will be amazed at how good Victor Young's score was for this film.

falc04, I will concede that you may be correct with your statement. I had such bad dealings with Goodtimes especially with McLintrock! that I didn't think very highly of this company. I didn't investigate with the other movies mentioned above, so I assumed that they were of the same poor quality.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote