New Members

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,424 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The "Resurrector" at work again!

I just looked at the main board - here it is almost a year since the last post - and I see the membership registered at 762. As a fairly recent addition to the membership here, I feel somewhat proud of my modest contribution to the population, knowing that there have been a lot of other people that have helped raise the tally. It almost looks like the membership is jumping by leaps and bounds in the past year. Congratulations!

Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Question -

The member board states that the John Wayne Message Board has 768 members.
    However, the last new member is attributed as member no. 855 (I'm listed as no. 807). Is the discrepancy due to attrition or some other reason? - Just curious!

Thanks -

Jay ^^

"Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: I think the different numbers is maybe from a combing out some who joined sometime ago but never posted or came back.

I find it fascinating that many people join but never post even once.

Best regards--TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hello there,

Well I think this is post #3 for me. I enjoy reading the threads and learning many things about Mr. Wayne and his films. I've always been one of those who gets the most out of listening and learning, but I'll be more than happy to chime in now and then too.

Roger.

• :cowboy: Hi Roger, that's a good reason why many probably never post. Anyway, I read yours and can hardly wait to read more.

Best regards--TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Jan 6 2005, 05:12 PM
    I see the membership registered at 762.

[snapback]13568[/snapback]

Here I am quoting myself (can this get out of hand - quoting myself quoting myself quoting myself ... ad infinitum :blink::unsure::rolleyes: ). The statistics read, as of this post, 876 members with a total of 15,228 posts - WOW!!! Keep up the good work folks!
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi All

After reading many posts, it becomes hard to think of new things to say. Starting a new thread can be daunting,specially when you see that some members are posting over 1500 times. But that's the good thing about JOHN WAYNE, There's always something to say about the great man.

Emmanuel. :P:jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Jay J

When you state that there are over 800 members of this board it is a little misleading as up to half of these so called members have never posted and a large number again have only posted once or twice.

A truer statistic for this board would be that is has around 30-35 solid members it may not sound as impressive as 800 but when you have a nice little group of around 30 that is always increasing its postive news and the regular members of this board are friendly and interesting.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

Originally posted by Robbie@Jun 6 2005, 07:46 PM
    When you state that there are over 800 members of this board it is a little misleading as up to half of these so called members have never posted and a large number again have only posted once or twice.
    A truer statistic for this board would be that is has around 30-35 solid members it may not sound as impressive as 800 but when you have a nice little group of around 30 that is always increasing its postive news and the regular members of this board are friendly and interesting.

[snapback]17217[/snapback]

Hi Robbie -
    Your point is quite valid. I'm only pointing out board statistics. But, as you say, many become members without making any posts whatsoever. Then there are many who become members to solely post a question about the Duke, never to be heard from again. I also noticed that some commercial enterprises have tried to hawk their wares in the form of a post (I think the moderators delete those as soon as they become aware of these "sneaky petes."). I don't think members should be penalized for only posting once or twice every few months, however. When I first became a member, I didn't expect to post as often as I have, but I guess the atmosphere here encouraged me and I'm currentlyon my way to 400 posts.
    Cheers - Jay -_-

"Not hardly!!!"

• I suppose the answer, must be somewhere in between,
    as Jay said, when you become a newbie, you're not sure, if you're going to remain on the site and indeed post and continue to post on a regular basis!
    It however seems, pointless to have a register of members, where a great majority, have never posted,it's like a business, basing it's accounts, on sales it might obtain!
    Perhaps the solution should be a compromise between the two, any member, who hasn't posted, at all,say, after 3 months, should, be un-subscribed, after all, they can always return, if they want to contribute!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't membership on this site free?
    If someone is going to start telling people they can only be a member if they post within a time frame, it will only put people off wanting to a part of what is after all a fun place to be. Who's to say that you can't be one of the silent majority? What does it matter what your membership number is.

Could it be that most people just enjoy reading the things that are on the site?
    If so, I say let them enjoy.

"NO DICTATORS PLEASE"

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Emmanuel,

Point well taken. We talked about this in the moderator forum, but decided that we would not bother any one who signed up. We have at least two deceased that has posted, and we are not taking them off. And this is a free site, so your point has been noted and no one will be taken off at this point.

Thanks for the insight and heads up. And we are not taking any one off the message board.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo

Thanks for that, your kind words make me feel a little like Duke, :cowboy:
    Standing up for the little guy, ;)
    Righting a wrong, :P
    Making sure that justice is done, :agent:
    and being seen to be done. :D

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

• Kevin has pointed out that he is cosidering deleting inactive accounts and I think this is a good idea.

Emmanuel I don't but your point what is the point in being a member if you don't post ever, some people subscribed years ago and have never posted and never will they probably dont eve visit the site.

Memberships that are delted does not prevent the user from accessing the board it just minimises their abilities ie performing searches.

The little guy has joined the board over 400 of them and never posted and they do not need to be defended.

Finally with people naming themselves after Dukes characters its getting a little confusing as there are several Dukes, Hondos and Ethans if would be less confusing if a rule was introduced preventing people from using Dukes characters.

Regards
    Robbie

• This is no big deal to me, but this has been discussed in three or four threads so I guess it will pop up now and then. I really can't see any harm in removing some of the accounts. If you click on a users profile you can see when they were last active, so you can still keep users that are active but don't post. Members that have never posted and haven't even logged in the last half year aren't likely to come back so I don't think it would do any great harm to delete them. On the other hand it probably won't do any harm to let them stay either.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• I like the idea of "flushing" accounts out that haven't been used in say, the last year. the problem (for me) is finding the best way to accomplish this. At this point I haven't found a sure fire way to do this without possibly removing accounts that should stay. I think that anyone that posted (even once) should stay on the board, for the future history of the site. But as for the members that sign up and never post then yea, after a certain period of time, remove them.

• Well, I think a time frame should be in order as suggested before deleting a acct. that has not posted. Personally I felt the sight out for awhile before I began posting, I think it was atleast a couple months. But, if you never post and lets say its ben a year, then yeah, Kevin is right, flush them.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hi all

i know this may sound darft but why not send out emails to the inactive members to see if they still what to be here or something along those lines before you jump in feet first and go at the inactive members like a bull at a gate. they may be coming but not posting but reading do we as a group punnish them for their shyness or do we stay like we are and just be happy with the friends that we have made through weekly/daily contact through this board.

another idea could to be to have an inactive file so that the ones who haven't been for say like 12 months or more can be moved there then send out a email telling them that they have so long to reply to the email and failure to do so will lead to them being deactivated. this way you will sift out the weeds from the trees

just a few thoughts on this subject hope they can be of use to the moderators

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"