This incident made me look skyward and wonder!!

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,620 times. The latest Post () was by lindaj48.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Okay gang this I just had to share with you. Before I start I want you to know that I believe in the higher power and that sometimes our lives are directed by that power which we know of, but quite honestly just can't see.
    Now for those here I don't post alot quite simply because my job takes me away from this computer for days and sometimes weeks on end. And until I get my laptop, I have to settle for visiting intermittently.
    Okay here's my story. Now I drive a big truck, and I visit Texas every week. And being a Duke fan and a student of western heritage and folklore I have always been wanting to stop along the roadside and visit and read the Texas State Historical Markers. Just to see what history happened where and when. But as my schedules are sometimes quite strict, this has been an impossibility until just this past week. Well to make a long story short, I visited my first historical marker and lo and behold when I walked up to it, I could'nt believe my eyes. It was dedicated to none other than John S. Chisum. And went on to explain where his cattle roamed, how many cattle he had on his spread, and where the ranch outbuildings stood along with the usual personal info. So I tool pictures of it and also shot video of the marker with the digi-cam. But it stuck me as kind of eerie that of all the historical markers in Texas, (and there must be litterally thousands) that the first one I visit is dedicated to one of the actual true life characters that the Duke portrayed.
    It also made me cast a wary eye skyward. But being at that marker was to say the least, kind of chilling!!!!!!
    For those members who reside in Texas,or tavelling through the state and interested in visiting this marker, it is located aprroximately 12 miles south of Ballinger, Texas on US 83, or about 1 mile north of Painted Rock, Texas. And is located on the west side of the highway.

Best Regards
    Ethan

Don't Believe In Surrenders!!!!!

• Ethan, thanks for this tip. When we traveled through somewhere for the first time, we always used to make it a habit of stopping and reading those historical markers. This one will be interesting to find and read.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ethan - you're right about there being thousands of these historical markers scattered across Texas. One is liable to run across one almost anywhere. You can almost detail Texas' history with these markers.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Ethan,

That was really great that you shared this with us. I hope when you get the chance to post the picture here. We'd love to see this, and hopefully go and visit that marker as well. We have markers all over Alabama. They do mark the civil war and other historical facts. I read some of them myself. I just wonder how many stop and read them.

Cheers :cool: Mike a.k.a. Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I planned on posting the photo here, now I am not a tech wiz, so as soon as I learn to do that I will.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, so that the great gang here can enjoy the marker!!!!!

Regards
    Ethan

• six years ago when i was on vacation in texas i traveled from san antonio to brackenville ( duke's alamo site) on rt10 i passed through hondo tx. i had to stop and take a picture of the road sign.:cowboy:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Yes Bill I know what you mean, I have been wanting to get down to Brackettville and see that site as well. And will time permitting, I also do a lot of Colorado and just recently was in Montrose, but unfortunately was not able to get down to Ridgway. I would like to eat at the True Grit cafe there. Got to be some memorabilia there dedicated to the Duke.

Regards
    Ethan

• six years ago when i was on vacation in texas i traveled from san antonio to brackenville ( duke's alamo site) on rt10 i passed through hondo tx. i had to stop and take a picture of the road sign.:cowboy:

Is that the one that reads, "Welcome to God's Country - Don't Drive Through It Like Hell?"

"Not hardly!!!"

• jay i have to tell you san antonio is one of the must beautiful cities i've ever been to.the riverwalk is so serene.i never wanted to leave.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• my inlaws use to have a cabin in howard colorado just below the twin sister peaks i loved going out there only thing i get real sick riding i have virtago and it makes it real hard to be in high places. i would be ok at the cabin but riding in the high mountains was hard. but i did finely get to eat a snowball in july the last time i was out there in 1993. when my mother in law sold the cabin my daughter got to out a few yrs ago and went by the cabin and the people rebuild really pretty if we had had the money we would of kept it.
    lindaj48