Best Horror Film

There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,479 times. The latest Post () was by BILL OF PA.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• in honor of halloween. what film gave you the creeps? for me as a kid believe it or not it was hichcocks THE BIRDS.every time i would see a flock of birds in the park i would walk real slow till i past.:kiwibird: :fear:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• The one that scared me as a kid and gave me a few nightmares was Quatermass & the Pit. I know why esacpes me now too!!

I always loved the old Karloff movies even in later ones like The Bodysnatcher he had presence every time he was on screen.

The last horror movie that impressed me recently was Vampires by John Carpenter which deserved bigger success at the box office than it got.

Any recommendations out there??

Mike

• The one and only horror film that scared me was Jaws. I was I think 6 or 7, at the time I went to see it on the big screen. We stood in line for 8 hours, to watch this film. The line was four blocks long.

I laughed at the first two Halloween movies as well as the one and only Firday the 13th movies I saw all the way through-which was the first one.

Last Mother's Day, I think it was either Spike TV or Fox or whatever, that played asickening movie that I mostly watched-which is called: Wrong Turn. I noticed this ""film"" has a sequal to it.

Anyway, of the more modern horror flicks that I actually liked are: The Fog, which was a John Carpenter film I believe. This movie had: Ardianne Barboux, Hal Holbrook and a young and pretty: Jamie Lee Curtis.

To me, the best horror films, are the original Lon Chaney movies like: The Wolfman, Frankenstein etc.

Oh, I have also seen I know what you did last summer and I think the first "Scary Movie."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Well there are 2 movies that scared me when I was a youngster. It was, believe it or not, "The Wizard of Oz". I was scared of the witch and the flying monkey/'s.

The other was Disney's cartoon called "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". I just remember freaking out when Icabod is being chased by the headless horsemen.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I had two movies scare me when I was a kid also, the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the African Queen. It was the pods that scared me in IOTBS. I was deathly afraid of whole watermelons for a long time, if they were cut it was OK. It was the leaches in AQ that freaked me out. I'm still afraid of them.

• How can anyone not mention The Exorcist? That movie scared the crap out of me when it first came out. Another scarry movie that came out a few years ago that I thought was well made on the cheep was The Blair Witch Project. It kept me on the edge and tense.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• dont like to watch horror movies as they scare the woopsies out of me. i even hate it when a scary part comes up in a movie and i am watching it on my own late at night i turn the mute button on not so scary then, i think its the music that does it

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Technically not a horror film as such, but when I first saw "Alien" on the big screen, it scared the socks off me!:ohmy:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

I had completely forgotten about Alien. I saw that movie when it first came on HBO in 1981 and because I was forced to watch it on pain of being beat up by my older brother. The only part that really bothered me about this movie was when that alien burst from some guy's chest. I've hated that movie since. The movie I missed because of being forced to watch it was: The Big Red One - which was playing on The Movie Channel. Thank goodness that when Alien was over, HBO played Hondo-which I saw for the first time. After Hondo, they played-believe it or not, they showed: The Big Red one - which stars Lee Marvin, Mark Hamill, Robert Carradine and Siegfried Rauch.

Gimme a Western or a War movie, over a horror movie; any day. :teeth_smile:

• I was really young when I watched "Psyco"...And even to this day I get the creeps while showering.

The second movie the left it's mark on me was " The Exorcist"...

I cannot sit through movies like, "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre"...

Now I love a good Vampire or Werewolf movie...

Hmmm...Duke as a Vampire....He could bite me any night...

• Hi Princess Cindy, glad to see you back here and, I couldn't agree with you more in that I could never watch movies like: Tx Chainsaw Massacre et el.

Many years ago, I watched a very good movie with Bob Hope in it called: The Cat And The Canary. I don't remember much about it but, I think it had several of the more famous villains in it, such as the Wolfman. :thumbs_up:

• OOOOOHHHH! I just LOOOOOVE a good horror movie. Around these parts, there used to be a show that came on late night Satuday night called Shock Theater with Count Justin Sane. Me and my sister used to take turns as who would watch the scary scenes and who would close their eyes. I really miss those days.

FYI, if anyone here is interested, at the time, the scariest movie I saw at the time was something about a 100 foot tarantula!!!!!:ohmy:

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I've never taken the genre to seriously, so I go straight for the comedies;

"Young Frankenstein" (IMO the funniest horror parody of all time)

"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" - This is the one were Bud and Lou meet the monster, the Wolfman and Dracula. I don't laugh as hard as I did when I first saw it at about 6 or 7 years old, but there's still a sense of fun to it that can't be matched.

"American Werewolf In London" That one blends comedy and creepiness very well. There are long boring stretches in it, but it's not a bad movie, and when the wolf is on the prowl, those are some classic horror scenes.

I also like the old Universal classics, especially "Wolf Man" with Lon Chaney Jr. It's corny but fun.

Probably the creepiest scene I've ever watched was in the old silent version of "Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"...the one with John Barrymore. There's a dream sequence where the spirit of Mr. Hyde enters Dr. Jekyll in the form of a big tarantula! Good effects for 1920!

Anyway, happy Halloween.

• Heh heh, I remember: American Werewolf in London all too well. The night it was first shown at the local Cine 1&2 Theaters, I was spending the night at my friend Brian's house. My father gave me $10.00 to take with me. Anyway, we could not get a ride to the theaters, so we walked about 3 miles. Once there, we bought the tickets and went inside. We were the only two people in the theater.

The movie finally started and after about the first 10 minutes, I walked out of the theater. That movie has the distinction of being the first movie and only movie, I ever walked out on. I told my friend to stay inside and watch it while I messed around outside the theater.

• "The Exorcist"- greatest horror film ever
    "Psycho"- Hitchcock's best movie
    "Horror Of Dracula"- best vampire movie
    "Bride Of Frankenstein"- classic

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• I generally find horror movies just silly - I know it's not real so it doesn't scare me. Some hideous crime or crime-horror movies are scarier, like The Seven, although most of all I just feel sick watching blood and torture. The Exorcist was effective when I saw it the first time, young enough, so that's my vote

I don't believe in surrenders.

• to me its the music that sets the hairs a climbing upright if i turn it off then i can watch just about anything but i perfer good family movies

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Movies that scared me recently are "The Blair Witch Project", I know it was hokey but it was also scary as well when it first came out. And like others, the first "Alien" is scary.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne