Today's Country Music

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,485 times. The latest Post () was by Dukesfan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was watching a repeat of this years CMA's today. And 1) I was thinking how pathetic(IMO) country singers are today 2) how country just isnt country anymore

The only real country & western on that night was George Strait, who i believe is the best country voice alive today. I'll admit, I do like some of the "country" that is playing today. Namely out of the new country, so to speak, Brooks & Dunn, there's a reason they're the most awarded act in history, they are just phenomonal.

But I think i heard only 2 real country voices being King George :hyper: & Josh Turner.

Anyway to the real basis of this thread

It's amazing how much country has changed.

We've gone from legends like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Gene Autry, Roy Acuff, George Jones, just to name a few to teeny boppers like Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood & Big & Rich, who sound about as country as Britney Spears(ok maybe not that bad).

Here's the people that I like that are recording today

George Strait aka King George
    Garth Brooks (although he as a very instigator in the rock element)
    Brooks & Dunn
    Josh Turner
    The occasional Kenny Chesney song.

I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to music, and to be honest I'd rather hear fingernails on a blackboard than listen to Rascal Flatts or Carrie Underwood.

Sorry for ranting, but I had to vent :P

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• i happen to like troy cassa daley, he has a great singing voice and he sings mostly aussie country, of all of our country singers i think the only one who was really country was slim dusty

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to music, and to be honest I'd rather hear fingernails on a blackboard than listen to Rascal Flatts or Carrie Underwood.

Sorry for ranting, but I had to vent :P

You've got my attention, Bek!

I've loved C&W since I was 14 years old, and continued to listen to it for the past 40+ years. I can relate to your rant, as it could easily be mine, too.

Recently, I've gotten away from listening to the local FM C&W radio stations, as all they seem to have is the newer stuff. I keep searching the dial when I am in other areas, hoping to find a traditional C&W station, and have been successful at times when I am up in Oregon.

It seems there are a lot of people that feel the way we do, and I would think someone could make good money with a "country oldies" type radio station.

George Strait . . . yes!

Alan Jackson . . . yes!

And don't forget Randy Travis!

Chester :newyear:

• may2, that is who I was going to say was missing on bek's list of traditional artists, Alan Jackson has always been a favorite of mine. I am not a fan of the newer country music either. I am more of a traditionalist as well. But I will say this. Give Keith Urban a try, I was skeptical at first, and his music is not traditional, but I have come to really like his stuff.

Now Rascal Flatts, that's a whole different story. They just plain stink IMHO, anyways.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I don't acknowledge the existence of today's country music in my universe.

Here is what I consider to be true country music:

Johnny Cash
    Ronnie Milsap
    Willie Nelson
    Waylon Jennings
    Anyone else on this level of greatness you can think of.

The rest are just pretending.

• may2, that is who I was going to say was missing on bek's list of traditional artists, Alan Jackson has always been a favorite of mine. I am not a fan of the newer country music either. I am more of a traditionalist as well. But I will say this. Give Keith Urban a try, I was skeptical at first, and his music is not traditional, but I have come to really like his stuff.

Now Rascal Flatts, that's a whole different story. They just plain stink IMHO, anyways.

I completely echo echo echo echo Todds post.

I don't listen to the radio much these days but when I did, I liked hearing the older Country music. I really don't "Get" what todays ""country music"" is all about? :glare:

I sure miss Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Sons of the Pioneers, Roger Miller, Freddie Fender (fairly recently deceased) Hank Williams, Hank Jr, Johnny Horton, Mel Tillis, Willy Nelson, Roy Acuff, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Walter Brennan, Patsy Cline, and so many more. I also really do like Shania Twain. Borrowing some important words from an esteemed member of this site whose name I shall not list (GT12pak) "She's a hottie!" :teeth_smile:

"Trailers for sale or rent.........."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• You guys have mentioned some good ones, and here are a few more -

Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys

Grandpa Jones

Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadors

Red Sovine

Loretta Lynn

George Jones

Tammy Wynette

Roy Clark

Buck Owens (the "Bellering Billionaire from Bakersfield")

Hank Snow

Merle Haggard (I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee)

and of course we don't want to forget Dolly Parton!

I know I'll think of some more . . . but this is good for now . . . :wink_smile:.

Chester :newyear:

• The ones I mentioned were the ones that came to my head at the time, there's so many more I could've added, pretty much all the one's that have been listed.

I agree smokey, Troy's a great singer, you'd find most of our singers have kept on the traditional line. Lee Kernaghan pretty much kept on it up until his recent album "The New Bush", it's totally true, because he went new! Another great Aussie country singer is Adam Harvey, he's got a very traditional sound, one thing that contributes to that is his low voice, it's as low as Johnny Cash's was, if not lower. He'll be supporting Brooks & Dunn in Brissie, so it'll be great to see him live.

I was watching CMC(our local country TV station) a few days ago and it had the 30 Best Country Music Award Winners of all time, and it was filled with the pop elements of Shania Twain's & Faith Hill's, while these two started very country, the video's that they showed weren't. Brooks & Dunn are the most awarded artists in history, and only had one video shown, Johnny Cash only had one, George Strait had none, which I was annoyed at, Alan Jackson had one, or none, can't remember. I'm ranting again...oops

All I can say is thank goodness we have other ways than just radio's to listen to our music, if that was the case, we'd be in trouble.

Got an early christmas present today - The Very Best Of George Strait Volume 2 1988-1993 (bud) :jump:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ringo, whaddaya mean? She's a hottie.

If you've never heard these two, then please check them out.

Johnny Paycheck-Old Violin and

Vern Gosdin-Chiseled in Stone. Them 2 will make me consume a 12pak every time.:wink_smile:

Here are some others:
    Don Williams
    David Allen Coe
    Glen Campbell (of True Grit fame)
    Eddie Rabbitt (also deceased)
    Conway Twitty
    Charlie Daniels

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Well, Shania Twian used to be? I picked up my one and only Twain CD back in late 95 or early 96. The pic on ths cover was "WOW"

The above list are some good names. I remember Eddie Rabbit with: "I Love a Rainy Night" and Glen Campbell with my favorite: "Southern Nights." :teeth_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I agree completely with your rant against today's country! I've have that same rant every time I'm going though the radio dials, looking for country music! What happend to it? It's just so boring these days! Like some the others, George Strait is my favorite; and Alan Jackson is good. When it comes to the classics it's Marty Robbins (one of the best entertainers I've ever seen, and I still can't get enough of his cowboy songs), George Jones, Waylon Jennings, and many of the names that were already listed. :beer:

• Hello everyone
    I prefer like Kelly Willis,Gretchen Wilson,Dixie Chicks,Sara Evans and Terri Clark.
    are they country singers,are'nt they?

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Wow, many if not all of the old CW favorites have been preserved on youtube.

Here are a few at the top of my list, for fun and enjoyment ! !

Red Sovine Teddy Bear

CW McCall Convoy

Hank Snow "I've Been Everywhere"

David Houston Almost Persuaded

Ben Colder Almost Persuaded

Grandpa Jones Eight more miles to Louisville
    Are You from Dixie
    The Banjo Am The Instrument For Me
    Good 'ole Mountain Dew

• Thanks for posting those Chester!

It's great to hear real country music!

Convoy & I've Been Everywhere are personal favourites of mine.

If anyone gets the chance, have a listen to Dwight Yoakam's new album Dwight Sings Buck, where he sings the songs of Buck Owens. Only Dwight could've pulled it off as he did.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• This may not fit into every ones definition of country but there was an American singer named Huddie Leadbetter that I greatly admire. I liked Marty Robbins also and many of the artists named above. I say many instead of all because I have not heard them all yet.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Y'all realize that in certain "cool" circles, you'd be called sh_tkickers. :teeth_smile:

Just so you'll know, though, I'm not a member of any of those circles; I like music in all flavors, with the possible exception of opera.

BTW, any of you folks ever heard the national anthem of Texas? The title is "Cotton-Eyed Joe" and it'll get your foot to stompin' big time. Great for line dancing. One of my favorite versions is performed by Asleep At The Wheel.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I've heard Cotton Eyed Joe, only the Rednex version, which is very upbeat, almost like a dance mix.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• - Great, I always tried to buy Rednex´s version of "Cotton Eyed Joe" but never could find it in stores here...

I listened in the morning to Chris LeDoux "Horsepower"! Rocks hard!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."