Updating Western Collection

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,879 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• What are your favorite Western Movies out there?

Another thread had me thinking about western DVD/Blue Ray collections. Outside John Wayne westerns, what westerns would be great to start out with in a collection or continue to build in a collection?

What comes to mind is:

The Far Country
    My Darling Clementine
    High Noon
    Silverado
    The Magnificent Seven
    3:10 to Yuma
    Major Dundee
    The Tin Star
    The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
    Lonesome Dove

You get the idea. Help me to build my Western Collection and maybe yours too.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This list can help you out, Mike. I don't particularly agree with their ratings but at least it lists the titles of a lot of good Westerns.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• More Jimmy Stewart,

Shanandoah
    Broken Arrow
    Bend Of The River
    The Man From Laramie
    Destry Rides Again
    Two Rode Togather
    Firecreek
    Bandolero

Some of the one's mentioned in this thread,
    I will will be profiling in the
    Classic Western Movies
    thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I just picked up Fistful of Dollars for $8.99 at Best Buy. They also have the other 2 "man with no name" movie's and they are the collectors editions with some actually quite good interviews. Here are a few more that I can think of:

Warlock
    Tombstone
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Pale Rider
    The Unforgiven(Clint Eastwood)
    Open Range

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I just purchased Drums Along the Mohawk with Henry Fonda. This is suppose to be a good movie. Done in 1939.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I should have my head examined. This morning, I was visiting a site and happened to notice that Deep Discount was offering a 20% discount (enter PRICESEARCH in the promotion box). Well, I went hog wild and pig crazy - ordered $379. (and that's with the discount) worth of DVDs in assorted genres, mostly Westerns. My wife is gonna kill me when I have to own up to it. :ohmy:

• Wow!! I was thinking of getting the Dirty Harry collection on DVD. But $379 !!!!!! My wife would have me by the short hairs!!!

On a side note you can also use the word "Supersale" in the promotion box. It is good till the 22nd of June, so go hogwild, if you can!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Jim, you could be heading for trouble!!!! lol

Yeah, I'll probably have to slip her a hundred or so spending money to pacify 'er (and to salve my conscience. :wink_smile:)

There were 38 movies in that order. Although I have two fairly good-sized bookcases for my DVDs, I"m rapidly running out of space to keep them. And I don't have any extra space in my living room or den for another bookcase. I've got to stop this impulse buying.

• Here's the list of movies I ordered from Deep Discount. It includes movies by Glenn Ford, Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea. Maybe those of you who've seen some of these can provide some recommendations.

Intended Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY (This is a joke. It usually takes 3 or more weeks for their shipments to arrive, although what's odd is that the bigger the shipment, the faster it arrives.)

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
    -------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
    1 ATL009748 DVD : GIDEON'S TRUMPET $ 11.53 In-stock
    1 COL005176 DVD : MORE THE MERRIER, THE $ 16.25 Backorder
    1 COL005424 DVD : FAIL SAFE $ 7.73 In-stock
    1 COL007874 DVD : COWBOY $ 11.41 In-stock
    1 COL008880 DVD : VIOLENT MEN, THE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 COL009123 DVD : LAWLESS STREET, THE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 COL009125 DVD : MAN IN THE SADDLE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 COL009134 DVD : SANTA FE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 COL009142 DVD : TEN WANTED MEN $ 7.73 In-stock
    1 COL009455 DVD : STRANGER WORE A GUN, THE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 COL009457 DVD : DESPERADOS, THE $ 7.42 In-stock
    1 FXD005307 DVD : TO THE SHORES OF TRIPOLI $ 8.38 In-stock
    1 FXD021998 DVD : BOSTON STRANGLER, THE $ 6.51 In-stock
    1 FXD033891 DVD : IMMORTAL SERGEANT $ 8.30 In-stock
    1 HVD001572 DVD : SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS $ 25.51 In-stock
    1 HVD001861 DVD : YOUNG MR LINCOLN $ 20.70 Backorder
    1 IMA001922 DVD : YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE $ 11.25 Backorder
    1 KOV015626 DVD : LONG NIGHT $ 16.78 In-stock
    1 KOV016623 DVD : ON OUR MERRY WAY $ 16.78 Backorder
    1 LFS080634 DVD : MOST DANGEROUS GAME, THE $ 9.04 In-stock
    1 LGE018272 DVD : WAGON WHEELS $ 6.44 In-stock
    1 LVD014204 DVD : FOUR FACES WEST $ 8.94 In-stock
    1 MCA000432 DVD : UNCONQUERED $ 8.96 In-stock
    1 MCA024916 DVD : WHEN THE DALTONS RODE $ 8.96 Backorder
    1 MCA024928 DVD : ALBUQUERQUE $ 8.96 In-stock
    1 MCA026852 DVD : PALM BEACH STORY, THE $ 7.10 Backorder
    1 MGD003895 DVD : BARBARY COAST $ 7.78 In-stock
    1 MGD004612 DVD : DEAD END $ 7.78 In-stock
    1 MGD007518 DVD : BALL OF FIRE $ 7.78 In-stock
    1 MGD007523 DVD : CASANOVA BROWN $ 7.78 In-stock
    1 MGD012778 DVD : BELLE OF THE YUKON $ 7.78 In-stock
    1 RPC013003 DVD : DISTANT DRUMS $ 8.94 Backorder
    1 RPC014430 DVD : COURT MARTIAL OF BILLY MITC $ 8.94 Backorder
    1 WBD007823 DVD : BIG STREET, THE $ 11.05 In-stock
    1 WBD031862 DVD : FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT $ 11.05 In-stock
    1 WBD031866 DVD : WRONG MAN (WS), THE $ 7.38 In-stock
    1 WBD033523 DVD : ADVISE & CONSENT $ 10.87 In-stock
    1 WBD067878 DVD : JEZEBEL $ 10.87 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 379.78
    Tax: $ .00
    Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 379.78

• Good Grief Jim, That is some order and collection. It's going to take the whole summer to watch all those movies. DeepDiscount.com is a very happy group. I guess we know where you spent some of that stimulas incentive check! :teeth_smile:

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks to a trade deal I have going on w/ a good friend in Wash/ State, im going to near rival Stumpy on an order-but only for $200.00 worth.

This will include seasons 5-6 of Daniel Boone. Season 1 of Justice League America, seasons 1, of WKRP In Cincinnatti.

BTW, for those who get WGN on Cable TV, WKRP in CIncinnatti is playing on that station I think on Saturday evenings? Anyway, a heads-up on that show as I saw four episodes played last weekend.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Stumpy,
    You've got yourself great entertaiment as it seems. I haven't watched all of the movies you ordered, but from what I know I can say that young Mr.Linkoln is a great Ford move, beautiful in black and white with fine moods, great moments and brilliant work of Henry Fonda. I always love Ford but I had some predugeses(it's wrong spelling but I forget how to write this word righ sorry) against this film, because I didn't think before that Linkoln biography can interest me much, so I bought it only when it became cheap and simple - when it was released here in Russia. And I just loved the movie. And it was so big impression that I even bought Linkoln biography while my last stay in Paris. So this I highly recommend.
    I like Gary Cooper movies from your list too. But it is no comparison to Ford of course. Two of them are light comedies - The Ball of Fire (Hawks by the way and with nice paring with Barbara Stanwyk). Casanova Brown is funny too. I heard opinions that both comedies are rather silly but I enjoyed them very much.
    Unconqured is a big Cecil de Mille prodation very artifishial as his movies always are but for me entertaining and enjoyable. After all I like Coop there.
    Distant Drums and Court-M. of Billy Mitchel are always considered as rather weak movies but to my opinion they are interesting.
    I also watched almost all Randolf Scott movies from your list exept Albucerque I guess, they all are typical Randolf Scott's of that period. I enjoy them, but they are B-westerns I think. But I like his person on screen so I like this movies. But 7 Man from now is much better then them.
    As for Jezabel with Betty Davis (it is mainly her film not Fonda's) I have mixed impression. I think that the film and her performance is pretending (if you understand what I mean). I don't quite like pretending movies.
    That is all I can say on this matter.
    Regards,
    Vera
    I also

• Hi Jim and Vera

Vera very well summed up.

Jim a very mixed bag of films some I have never heard of (Belle of the Yukon for instance to name just one). Others very good including Distant Drums, and Young Mr Lincoln and Foreign Correspondant two of my all time favourites.

Happy watching

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Nice list, Stumpy. I'm familiar with all of these titles except for Gideon's Trumpet. The only one I really wouldn't recommend is Advise & Consent. All of the others are winners, IMHO. Of course, some of them are B-movies, yet they are all watchable and enjoyable viewing experiences.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Thanks very much for the encouraging comments, folks. Good to know that my impulsive purchase of all these discs yielded some winners. So far, my better half hasn't said too much and she knows what I did. Maybe I dodged a bullet. :teeth_smile:

BTW, my remark about the bigger shipments arriving faster from DDDVD was right on this time. I got a shipment with 29 titles in only three days. From Deep Discount, that's super fast.

• I should have my head examined. This morning, I was visiting a site and happened to notice that Deep Discount was offering a 20% discount (enter PRICESEARCH in the promotion box). Well, I went hog wild and pig crazy - ordered $379. (and that's with the discount) worth of DVDs in assorted genres, mostly Westerns. My wife is gonna kill me when I have to own up to it. :ohmy:

The more I study that list of films I ordered, the more I think I should have my head examined. Especially regarding all the Randolph Scott Westerns, many of which are real dogs, I'm sure. Oh well, too late now, I guess.