What I am doing today --- enjoying etc

There are 193 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,496 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello All
    I was thinking about a thread where members could share something about their life. It could be anything that you like and are doing.
    Today I awoke a tad reluctantly, in as much as I wanted to get up fairly early and my body said that yesterday was a good energy drain and more sleep was desirable. My mind said I'm in charge. The dog at my feet has not taken his eyes off me because he knows part of me up early almost always mean 1/2 to an hour of walking. We do enjoy time outdoors. It would be hard to say which of us values our walks more.
    One of our sons received an award for service to society last Saturday night and I phoned my parents to share that news. We are all feeling happy in seeing his sense of purpose recognized. The Atorney General of our Province was among the dignitaries present and as he recieved his thanks they had a short chat and it looked to me like they both enjoyed the moment.
    Our hockey Team the Vancouver Canucks managed to win 4 games in a row to win the their first ( best of 7 ) playoff round. Considering I was in Town prior to the team assuming that name (70s) and they never swept a playoff round (win 4 straight) before and that we have never ever won the Stanley Cup, well pilgrims you could say there is a bit of a wind of excitement blowing down from the high country and in from the Sea. In smaller towns and all over the Cities people have car flags, and house windows have been painted with Canuck related thoughts. There are even flags on houses and people wearing Team Jersies. Go Canucks you are lifting the spirits of many.
    Well Laddy (our Sheltie Collie cross) is waiting and I'm burning not only daylight but beautiful bright Sunshine. Hope this thread offers a place to say whats going on today in your life. take care murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I woke up this am to my son, how do I say this, he was throwing up from the wrong end!! So I got to stay home with a ill child. Then when my wife came home I went for a 2 mile run. I am in training for a relay with my brother, we are running a 1/2 marathon relay in July. So I run 6.5 miles and he runs 6.5 miles. It is just about killing me!! That is what I have been up too lately.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Once again the dog awaits and the sun shines. I am at peace with the world ( so far :wink_smile: ) and with myself. It would sure be nice to have a Holiday at the end of this month, this is the peak of annual sales due to a Tsunami of bedding plants. Not having a Crystal ball I decided to guess that May 28th would be a good day to fly into the United States ( if they will have me ) and begin in that way, a 5 day exploration of Madison County. With that trip just weeks away now, I smile to think of the rest and interesting events to come. Whats is happening in your part of the world?

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Let's see... Over slept this morning so the kids got to school late, not to big of a deal, but man I hate being late. The down turn in the economy has affected my work load so money is REALLY tight right now. The good news is, I just finished a job and should be receiving the balance in a few days. :teeth_smile:

I am speaking at a men's seminar at my Church this weekend and I still need to work on my speaking notes. I have most of it completed, just some finishing touches left.

On the kid front they are all healthy and have recovered from the emotions of last week when we had to put our 12 year old Corgi to sleep... we will miss you Princess...

• Right now I am drinking a Captain and Coke. Damn big BLUE laid off another 250 people. It's getting to be a end of month ritual. I wonder why they don't just get it over with and lay off everyone they plan on laying off and let the rest movie on!! Damn corporate america!!!:martini_shaken:

-John Wayne

• its the Mrs birthday today,she's hit the big one 40.
    so a day of friends and family popping in today i think.
    it's a lovely sunny day for her though so thats ok

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I imagine the pols are much more at fault for the state of our economy than corporate America, Todd.

I see what you are saying. I just wish they would stop this once a month layoff trend we are in and get it done with so a person can move on. Whether it's to continue thier job or go look for a new one someplace.

-John Wayne

• Not having a Crystal ball I decided to guess that May 28th would be a good day to fly into the United States ( if they will have me ) and begin in that way, a 5 day exploration of Madison County. With that trip just weeks away now, I smile to think of the rest and interesting events to come. Whats is happening in your part of the world?

I just returned from several days away, working out of town. It is a very laid back day. Looking forward to seeing you in Winterset at the end of the month, Murray!

. . . we had to put our 12 year old Corgi to sleep... we will miss you Princess...

Sorry to hear the sad news for your family! Friends of ours had the same sad task this past week . . . :ohwell:

its the Mrs birthday today,she's hit the big one 40.

Ned, please wish your wife a most wonderful 40th birthday for us!!

Chester :newyear:

• thanks Chester i'll let her know.
    plenty of :beer: last night and we all had a great time

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• am enjoying a day off, its labour day public holiday not looking forward to tommorrow have to work a load is coming in well as least i have a job cant complain about that.
    erth sorry to hear about your dog i hope i dont have to make that choice i hope my one will go in her sleep 15yrs and still going dont know for how long

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Today was my birthday. Turned 47 but don't feel a day over 20....until I move, that is :wink_smile:. Spent the day at home and relaxed. The wife got me a DVD of a Mini-series from the 70's that I had been searching a long time for. She cooked me home made Chicken Pot Pies (my favorite) and got me an Ice Cream cake. What a girl, I don't deserve her. Just don't tell her that.

Yesterday, I went to an 80th Birthday party for my Aunt Helen. I looked forward to it because my mother's side of the family had drifted apart after the death of her parents in the early 90's. My Grandparents were where the whole extended family gathered on special occasions and Holidays. When they passed, the family tended to just break up into their own gatherings. So, my Aunt's party was put together to bring us back together. I seen cousins and family members whom I havn't seen in 15 years. It was special, and many promises were made to keep getting together in the future.

So, it has been a great weekend. I'm sorry it had to end. :cry2:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Just got back from running 2 miles. I am training to run a relay with my brother for a 1/2 marathon. I run 6.5 miles and he run's 6.5 miles. Now that makes this 42 year old feel much older. Bright side is it is finally starting to get much much easier.

-John Wayne

• Mark, I'm glad you had such wonderful birthday weekend! :teeth_smile:

My little "high" of the week was Wednesday evening. Our son is in the Majors division of Little League, and his team had lost quite a few games (they were often close games). They had a good practice Tuesday afternoon, and they had a REAL good game Wednesday evening. Even though our son's at-bats weren't particularly good, he did serve as a pinch runner in one inning and scored.

Then, much to my surprise, after our main pitcher finished pitching (he had reached his limit of 85 pitches), our son came in to pitch at the top of the 6th (last in Little League) inning. At that point, our team had a reasonably comfortable 11-6 lead (and the home field advantage), BUT our son hasn't pitched in a game in three years, since being in the farm division (unbeknownst to me, the coach has been having him practice pitching for the past couple of weeks)!

Anyway, I was understandably nervous, as a game can easily be lost due to poor pitching; I've seen it too many times. But the first pitch he threw was a strike! He looked so confident, he had really good form, and a beautiful side arm throw! I could hardly believe my eyes! At one point, the coach went and talked to him on the mound. All I could see was the coach's back; when he went back to the dugout, my son had a huge grin on his face. I wondered what the coach had said to him. By the end of his short stint, he pitched to 4 batters, for a total of 18 pitches. The first batter was put out at first. He put 3 runners on base, two of whom scored, before the coach replaced him. Despite all that, he looked real good. Anyway, the next pitcher faced three batters, but the needed outs were gotten, and we won the game!

We so needed that win! The kids had gotten kind of discouraged, but the win was a real shot in the arm, for all of us! I was so pumped after that - I felt almost giddy.

And . . . you might be wondering what it was that the coach said . . . as was I. Chris is known for telling jokes all the time (he's quite the entertainer), and the coach went out and asked him if he had any jokes he'd like to tell. Chris told him, "Not any short ones." The coach told him, "You owe me a joke. Oh, . . . and relax."

So . . . yeah . . . I'm still enjoying that!

Mrs. C :angel1: (scorekeeper for the SLV LL Majors Brewers)

P.S. Sorry for getting so long-winded . . .

• we have lost our little girl she went to sleep and didnt wake up, she was found after i had come home from work on saturday. the little bloke found he as i was getting out of my uniform, we had pets at peace come and collect her she should be back home soon in her urn.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"