There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,930 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I been thinking about this alot. Ya know how sometimes Actors are called the next so and so? Like Tom Hanks(one of the few who could have hung with the older actors) is kinda like the "new" Jimmy Stewart, Mr nice guy. I started to think is there anyone who could be compared to John Wayne acting and humanity wise, I just can not think of any. I do not think any of todays actors could live up to the standards of The Duke. lol my husband and i had this debate and I told him none of todays actors has the proud rough and ready American quality, out-spoken without being a jerk about things, And stood up for what they belived in with out backing down. What do ya'll think could any actor be considered the "new" John Wayne or has Hollywood Killed of the last of the greats?

• Sands,

You're right. There is no one who can or even come close to being the next John Wayne. This will take a lot of thought, but be asured that no one can ever come close to Duke. He was a one-of-a-kind.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I have to agree with you guys. We may be bias, but I see not a soul in todays media who even commands the presence that Duke does. There are some greats around today (Hanks, Gibson and Harrison Ford) but time will tell if they will be remembered like John Wayne has been. As for filling his shoes. Not even close! dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• hi all,

from my view there is only one duke but a good sub could be mel he might be yours by birth but we trained him here in aust. he did many movies like mad max(road warrior to you lot in u.s.) and gallipoli he played good parts. his movie patriot was good enough to compare him with the duke but i still mad max was his best.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Someone like John Wayne only comes along once in a lifetime. I still like to watch Paul Newman he is one of akind too. I think it also shows in his personal life as far as the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp he has for terminally ill children. That to me and how he gives from the proceeds of his salad dressings and much more shows such an unselfish act. Like someone posted about John Wayne how he brought his own tequila to the bar and paid for every drink he had. Those types of actions show the real person and what they are all about. So, it is much more than being a good actor or just being apart of a really great movie. To me anyway.
    Little Duke

• We have lost a lot of great ones over the decades. I just can't place today's actors in the places of those who were. There will never be a Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant, or John Wayne. We can compare, but really these men are unique, and the ones in today's culture are unique. We can look at Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Kevin Costner, or Kevin Klien. Or even the stars who will be like Toby Maguire, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, or Ewan McGreoger.

They bring a little of themselves into the picture, and use the character of those in the past, but they develop their own style. This makes them and many many others unique. It would be easy to find the next John Wayne, but to tell you the truth, there was only John Wayne, and he will never be replaced, as for all the others.

Second, consider that the type of movies today are much different from the ones in the past. We had more westerns, ganster moives, serials, epics, war pictures, and slap stick comedy. Those movies are all but gone today with the emergance of Sci-Fi, Urban comedy, super comic heroes (comic heroes were on TV, like Superman, Spider Man, Batman, The Incredible Hulk, etc), TV shows from the past returning to movie foramt (Charlie's Angels, S.W.A.T., Lost in Space, Star Trek, Beverly Hillbillies, Brady Bunch, etc). Things are different, and storylines are different, so how can you possibly compare today's actor to yesterday's?

Could you see Jimmy Stewart play Jed Clampet, or Humphry Borgart as Mike Brady? Or better still, could you see Toby Maguire playing John T. Chance in Rio Bravo, or Ewan McGreoger playing Hondo Lane? I know that some did try to, but they didn't work, and the movie plots were poor.

Let's not worry who could play Duke, and let Billy Bob Thornton play Davy Crockett in The Alamo. We all know that Duke was the only one who could play this part, except maybe Fess Parker in Disney's version of Davy Crockett. And try to remember that Thornton is playing Crockett, and not John Wayne.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote