Maureen O'Hara Book- 'Tis Herself'

There are 65 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 36,163 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Stumpy And Arthur; I do tend to agree with you , but we must remember that it was done from a Ladys View Point And not from a Mans point of view!!! There was a lot of Hype on the book, but If you ask the ladys what they think about it they think its Great! I did enjoy the storys about Duke, Maureen and John Ford. And I did like story about the making of the Quiet Man very much. MAKING THE QUIET MAN Chilibill :cowboy:

• In an interview (I think on her personal homepage) she stated that she was very unhappy about how much her editors cut out. There were of course many more stories, but the whole life story has to be condensed into one book - and the book must not "frighten" the people who should buy it by its size.

• I just found a copy of this $25 book on eBay, got it for $9.95 and received it today. It is in mint condition, the person must never have read it. I'll assure you, that won't be the case with this owner...

• I read this book about a year ago, and agree with Stumpy in the fact about how she let men treat her in her private life. I was a bit shocked.

And the bomb she let drop about catching Ford trying out for the other team (sexually :wink_smile: ) was a shocker for me. I had never read that befor. Plus the way he almost seemed to be a stalker in her life at times was rather scary. A very complicated man to understand. It always seems that the geniuses are always the torchered ones.

I enjoyed the book, but I think it could have been alot better.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• WOW... my wife loves those kinds of books. She has to read it and then tell me about what she reads. I can't read much anymore so I need someone to do it for me. Ford batting both ways... didn't know that but your right about geniuses and their eccentricities. I wonder who helped her write it, that may show why it wasn't as good. I know i's an autobiography but publishers can be buttheads and make you change things to make them juicy. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

• When I went to ebay, at first I couldn't find the book, so I went to Amazon, and ended up buying a used hardcover copy for $7.50, including shipping. I went back to ebay again, and found one on auction for a current bid of $4 plus shipping, and down at the bottom of the page, there was a link to a half.com for $1.14 for an "Acceptable Item" hardcover copy (plus shipping, of course). Here's that link -

http://product.half.ebay.com/T…SRCH:WDGT:HALF:TOPRESULTS

So it's available out there, pretty reasonably priced.

Chester :newyear:

• I just finished reading her bio. I enjoyed the first half of the book quite a bit, but found the second half to grow increasingly odd. Her run-ins with John Ford were down right creepy, yet she constantly tells us how much she still loves him. Telling us about who's sexual orientation is who's was also odd. She seemed to relish in tossing dirt around, and yet could not understand when it got tossed back at her.

All in all, I'm glad I read it. It does not alter my perception of her as one of John Wayne's best leading ladies. But I don't think I'd ever be motivated to pick it up again...

• I always wanted to read this book, and once had a chance to buy it in Finland, but unfortunatly didn't. Must see if it is any copy at Abebooks - its my best source of books and cheapest one.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Well me, after months and months of delay, I would give my opinion on the book by Maureen.

I liked the whole book and I trusted him completely on the content of his remarks.

As she says, she wrote these memories to prevent that other "authors" interpret in their own way the busy life of Maureen.

Excited about this book, I made a French translation (pdf). If people are interested they can contact me.

Sincerely, Romy

Please excuse my bad English

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• I remember reading Maureen's book when it came out. Good entertaining read but there is elements of sour grapes toward the second half of the book at not getting recognition or an Oscar. Duke comes out well but Ford is a complicated character as we all already know.

• Reading her book her views on Ford are very conflicting. She praises him as director and in the beginning certainly looked upon him in a favourable manner but there is a definite change in their relationship. The way Ford could heap personal abuse on people and be very vindictive and try to wreck their careers seems to have come to the fore with his relationship with Maureen. The attached link would seem to sum up their differences.

http://www.suite101.com/conten…ara-and-john-ford-a333067

• I read her book and to my mind Ford was schizophrenic at best and, in addition, beset with worse afflictions. Maureen is a better person than I am - I think that she should have had nothing to do with the man after what he did to her. That goes for Duke also. Once Duke started making B-plus and A pictures, I don't think Ford could have done much to hurt his career. I know Duke felt he owed Ford a lot, but, it seems to me that Ford overstepped the line way beyond what Duke needed to do to pay him back.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Edited once, last by Jay J. Foraker ().

• Personally, I trust him. Are there any reasons to lie to an advanced age?
    The article by Larry Putt, which seems to me he did not know John or Maureen Ford, took principalememnt sources on the book by Maureen.
    John Ford liked to torture his actors (Maureen, Duke ...) so they give the best of themselves ...?
    I agree with Jay
    Romy

• As a director Ford has to be admired for his his talent. However, as a person I don't know how anyone even wanted to be in his company. Duke has to be admired for the loyalty that he gave to Ford long after he became the major talent in their partnership and Ford's continued career as a director was totally dependant on having John Wayne in his movies.

In regard to Maureen she is more than justified to be angry and like Ben Johnston I think she was right to walk away from Ford and not work for him again.

• I agree with DukePilgrim, but maybe if Ford had not been ill and he had called on Maureen, she would perhaps not refused. The Maureen best movies were made by John Ford :thumbs_up:

• I think from a professional standpoint John Wayne was right not to walk away from Ford as he needed his directorial guidance to aid his career, how many great movies did John Wayne make post 1939 that weren't directed by Ford?

Regards
    Robbie