There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,934 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hey folks, I just wanted to take a moment to say that I hope each and every one of you have a blessed Thanksgiving. Take a moment to reflect what you have and who shares with you your many many blessings.

For those who may not know about this American tradition, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday in November every year with family and loved ones. It is a time to honor the harvest and share the wealth with those who may not be as fortunate as we are. I help out most every year at a shelter to serve and clean up. It has been a blessing for me, and I want to do my part. While living in Nashville, Tennessee without my family and having to work, I would do my part to make their holiday special for them as much as possible. I do appreciate family and miss mine when I am not able to be there. So, I want to make it as special as I can.

I hope you take the time to help those who can't help themselves.

Cheers :cool: Mike aka Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING DEAR FRIENDS...

Hondo, that was really cool what you shared. I can't imagine a world without people like those I have met here, the kind Duke himself would love to spend time in the company of.

I am not here as often as I'd like to be, but my love and thoughts are with all of you, along with my prayers for your success and happiness.

My love to all,

Cindy

• I think Many of Us Have Forgotten what Thanksgiving Day is Really All About, and Not Just About a Big Turkey Dinner, Parades and Sports Events.
    :hyper:
    But Giving Thanks to God that We were Lucky to be Born in a FREE U.S.A., Even With All Of Its Bad Faults !
    :yeaahh:
    So on This Day You Should Give Thanks Also !!!
    :jump:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

• Happy Thanksgiving from the Brick , In Harrah, Indian territory. May God bless each and everyone of you. Remember we all are truly blessed. I cried the blues cause I had no shoes,till I hit the street and met a man with no feet. May God bless.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Well, it's still Thanksgiving!

We mostly had a nice day - good food, good to see family and share the meal, thankful to be living in a free country - but we learned this morning that a friend was killed in a car crash last night, by a hit-and-run drunk driver. A sweet man who would give you the shirt off his back, a big man, a good friend. His wife is devastated, as you might imagine. They don't have children, but there are other dependent family members, so this will be a very hard time for her. By God's grace, the Mrs. had cooked a turkey yesterday and was also cooking one today when we heard. She had made two each of a couple of different kinds of pies, and had all the stuff from yesterday's turkey to make gravy, so we were able to take at least part of a Thanksgiving dinner to them. They were on their way to the supermarket last night when they were hit.

Anyway, it put a real damper on the day . . . .

It was good to come here this evening and see folks' good thoughts for the day!

Chester :newyear:

• Chester and Mrs. I am so sorry about your tragedy. It puts things in proper prospective, and hopefully leads you to appreciate what you have in life. Things can be taken away very fast. It is so good to have you as neighbors and friends to be there for the lady. My condolence to those involved. I'll say a special prayer for her.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• To all John Wayne fans may God bless you and yours. I'm thankful for my family and every breath and every day that I get to enjoy this wonderful world. I'm thankful that John Wayne made the movies he did for all of us to enjoy. I hope each and everyone of you are able to enjoy thanksgiving, sometimes it comes down to perspective. One of my favorite authors is OG mandino. : I cried the blues cause I had no shoes,till I hit the street and met a man with no feet' . God Bless all

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

G. Washington
    (signature)

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Added some new holiday themed smilies to our smilie collection.

I am thankful that Kevin added new holiday smilies! And I rushed right over here to use the best one for today . . . and see that Kevin beat me to it :cry2: . . . (OK, somebody call the wa-a-a-a-a-ah-mbulance!).

Just being silly!

:thanksgiving: (we've got a few hours to go 'til our feast. The turkey's not even in the oven yet, here on the West Coast!)

We wish everybody a wonderful day, hoping you are with family and/or friends.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Thanksgiving is the ONLY holiday I thoroughly enjoy with no qualms at all because in our family at least, it's a day for just visiting with kids, grandkids, siblings, (parents if they're still living - mine aren't) and any other family members. Though my wife is at the age where she can no longer easily prepare those huge meals for 30-35 people, she occasionally feels better and so today, we're expecting our daughter with her two, the three boys from my oldest son (son didn't make it), my only sister with two of her grandkids and one greatgrandkid. So we'll have about 12 for turkey, ham, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, dinner rolls, cranberry relish, fruit salad and iced tea. All in all, a reminder of good times past.

P.S.
    I've become so accustomed to our peace and quiet, I'll be glad when the day is over and everyone has gone home. :wink:

De gustibus non est disputandum