Duke's women

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,647 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I said other than Maureen O'Hara because most people pick her. I just wanted to mix it up a little.
    Angie Dickenson
    Angie Dickenson
    Angie Dickenson

• hey hey!

For me it has to be Gail Russell, I just love her in "Angle and the Badman" and "Wake of the Red Witch", she's so innocent and cute. :rolleyes:

As a matter of info, the least favorite of Dukes women was Vera Ralston (The Fighting Kentuckian). It was alleged that after the picture was made, he threatened to leave Republic Pictures permanently if he ever had to work with her again! Appearantly, she may have been an Olympic Skater, but because she grew up Czech, her accent was too thick and her acting was passable at best.

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Hi,

Other than Maureen O' Hara, which in my opinion was the best, I really liked the chemistry of Lauren Bacall, and John Wayne! The 2 movies that they were in together, Blood Alley and The Shootist , and on my top 10 list of movies that are my favorite!

Just a good combination in my opinion!

Stacy :)

• Hey guys,

What about Claire Trevor . She was in (4) four movies with Duke.

Great chemistry in Stagecoach.
    Not so great in Alleghany Uprising, but a pretty good movie.
    The Dark Command, can't remember too much about that one (I'll have to watch that on again to refresh my memory).
    The High And The Mighty, what a great team in that movie.

She was cool.

Hondo ;)

P.S. Great choices above, just wanted to add another one to the list.

P.S.S. I'd pick to least favorites of Duke's female co-stars would be Geraldine Page. According to bio record of Duke, she was a broadway star coming to debut in the silver screen. She came in plain looking, and seem to believe that she didn't have to take a bath. She reeked of BO (body odor), and the cast could hardly stand to be around her, including Duke. They made fun of her behind her back, and Duke would never work with her again.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• REASR,

Very interesting to hear that. I was not aware. Curious to know how you know that? Duke's bio didn't say anything about that, and did say the cast had problems with Ms. Page. Just interested.

Hondo :unsure:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I have to agree with Baron. Gail Russell and Duke had magic in it. Her sultry eyes did it for me. Too bad they only made 2 together. In an odd choice, I found myself loving Betty Field in Shepherd of the Hills. Her back-woods innocence and plain beauty in that movie were rememberable. dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I agree on Claire Trevor...I think that Dark Command is under-rated, and that the chemistry between Wayne and Trevor that started in Stagecoach only got better in Dark Command which I think was filmed a year later.

Then there is ...what's her name..Patricia Neal? The one in In Harm's Way and Operation Pacific. She and the Duke seemed to have good chemistry.

But of course Maureen is tops with the Duke.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• I like Vera Miles who played with Duke in The Seachers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, and Hellfighters.

I also like Gail Russell and Ella Raines (bea-u-ti-ful!).

• :P

hey you guys what about kathern hepburn she was great with the duke on screen sorry to hear of her death today another golden oldie has bitten the dust not too many of them left now :(

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Maureen O'Hara smokes Angie any day of the week

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Brian,
    I thought the subject was leading ladies other than Maureen O'Hara :unsure:

With that in mind .
    1. Lauren Bacall
    2. Patricia Neil
    3. Katharine Hepburn
    4. Claire Trevor

Monique ;)

• Frankly I'm surprise that no one mentioned, Jean Auther in Lady Takes a Chance, and Donna Reed in Trouble Along the Way. These ladies were very classy and great with Duke. Anyway, I just wanted to mention these ladies.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• The following is a repost from the McCandles Texas forum at Yahoo, which I thought you might find interesting. It's a couple of days late, but oh well . . . .

Enjoy!

Chester

During his long career the Duke worked with just about every major actress from Hollywood's Golden Age. Lauren Bacall, one of the great ladies of that period, appeared in two films with the Duke, Blood Alley (1955) and The Shootist (1976).Today [September 16th] is Lauren Bacall's 79th Birthday.

ACTRESS LAUREN BACALL IS BORN ON THIS DAY IN 1924.

Bacall was born Betty Joan Perske in the Bronx. Her parents divorced when she was six, and her mother, Natalie, adopted the last name Bacal, a variation of her Romanian maiden name. Betty, who later adopted the name Bacal and changed the spelling, went to private school in Manhattan. She studied dancing and acting and later worked as an usher in Broadway theaters. Eventually, she began winning small roles in Broadway plays.

It was her work as a model, however, that launched her film career. She appeared on the cover of Harper's Bazaar and caught the attention of director Howard Hawks' wife. A month later, Hawks signed Bacall. She became a star with her very first movie, To Have or Have Not, (1944), opposite Humphrey Bogart.

During the film, the two fell in love. In 1945, they married. They continued to co-star in hit movies, including The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947), and Key Largo (1948). But in the 1950s, Bacall felt she wasn't getting the roles she deserved from Warner Bros. The studio suspended her, and she later worked for other studios.

Bogart died of cancer in 1957. Bacall remarried several years later, to actor Jason Robards, but the couple eventually divorced. Bacall found herself landing fewer juicy film roles as she got older and returned to live theater in the 1970s. She won a Tony Award for her role in Applause in 1970. She scored another triumph in Woman of the Year in 1981. In 1996, she received her first Oscar nomination, playing the mother of Barbra Streisand's character in The Mirror Has Two Faces.

SOME TRIVIA ON BACALL:

Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#6). [1995]

Ranked #20 in the AFI's top 25 Actress Legends.

She has a daughter and a son from her marriage to Humphrey Bogart: Leslie and Stephen.

Ranked #11 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Mother of actor Sam Robards.

Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World. [1997]

Bacall was staying in the same New York apartment building as Beatle John Lennon when he was shot (and later died on 8th December in the Roosevelt Hospital) in 1980. When interviewed on the subject in a recent UK TV programme hosted by former model Twiggy, Bacall said she had heard the gunshot but assumed that it was a car tire bursting or a vehicle backfiring.

Was crowned "Miss Greenwich Village" in 1942.

Used her mother's maiden name of Bacal, but added an extra "L" when she entered the cinema.

Hobby is collecting beer mugs.

Shortly after Bogart's death, Miss Bacall announced her engagement to Frank Sinatra to the press. Mr. Sinatra promptly backed out.

Her screen personna was totally based and modeled after Howard Hawks' wife, Slim. She even uses her name in To Have and Have Not.

She and former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres (currently the foreign minister) are cousins. Both have the same original last name -- Perske.

Those close to her call her by her real first name, "Betty".

Still undiscovered, Bacall volunteered as a hostess at the New York chapter of the Stage Door Canteen, working Monday nights when theaters were closed.

Having lost her job as a showroom model and quit acting school for lack of funds, the teenage Bacall found work as a Broadway theater usher. George Gene Nathan voted her the prettiest usher of the 1942 season in the pages of "Esquire".

One of the initial 'rat pack' with Bogie, Frank Sinatra, 'Swifty Lazar' and their close friends.

Won a Tony for her role as Margo Channing in the Broadway production of 'Applause', a musical based on the movie All About Eve. It was presented by Walter Matthau.

With former husband Humphrey Bogart, has a kind of vocal disorder named after her. 'Bogart-Bacall syndrome' (or BBS) is a form of muscle tension dysphonia most common in professional voice users (actors, singers, TV/radio presenters, etc) who habitually use a very low speaking pitch. BBS is more common among women than men and has been blamed on "social pressure on professional women to compete with men in the business arena".

Starred, with her husband Humphrey Bogart, on the syndicated radio program "Bold Venture" (1951-1952). Her character's name was Sailor Duval.

Measurements: 34-26-34 (her 1940 modeling card -- source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)

• JEAN ARTHUR. B) I think she made a good job in " a lady takes a chance". She was a tremendous actress btw. I always get dreamy when I see her in "Mr Smith goes to Washington" and "A foreign affair" :wub:

I just love Maureen and Kate Hepburn aswell :wub:

• Apropos "dreamy" and Jean Arthur:

I've seen a very old rare 35mm copy of Lady Takes A Chance, and in the night-sequence, after Jean stole the horse blanket and falls asleep, she actually dreams!
    The picture gets blurry and she recaptures some of her adventures - we get to see their meeting with Duke and parts of the brawl again. Then she wakes up. Now this is the older German copy and I wonder if the Germans just took the liberty to include this (but then again, why should they?).

Has anybody ever seen this version?

Originally posted by itdo@Oct 15 2003, 05:30 AM
    Apropos "dreamy" and Jean Arthur:

I've seen a very old rare 35mm copy of Lady Takes A Chance, and in the night-sequence, after Jean stole the horse blanket and falls asleep, she actually dreams!
    The picture gets blurry and she recaptures some of her adventures - we get to see their meeting with Duke and parts of the brawl again. Then she wakes up. Now this is the older German copy and I wonder if the Germans just took the liberty to include this (but then again, why should they?).

Has anybody ever seen this version?

wow!!!!! :o i've never seen that one! :(
    it would be great if you could put it online! :cowboy:

• can't do, sorry! that 35mm print is the whole movie in two reels. I've seen it's possible to scan single film cells (although, I don't have a scanner - yet!) it's quite impossible for me to put on that scene. Well, it's not an additional scene at all, just a repetition, so no broken hearts over missing scenes with that one. Just wondered how common/rare this version is.

Originally posted by itdo@Oct 15 2003, 01:38 PM
    can't do, sorry! that 35mm print is the whole movie in two reels. I've seen it's possible to scan single film cells (although, I don't have a scanner - yet!) it's quite impossible for me to put on that scene. Well, it's not an additional scene at all, just a repetition, so no broken hearts over missing scenes with that one. Just wondered how common/rare this version is.

well I guess there aren't many versions out there! :cowboy: