What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,448,725 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, we've been on a little roll the past couple of days, and have watched

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch (you can read more about that experience here).

In addition, we watched

The Stranger Wore A Gun and Ten Wanted Men,

both with Randolph Scott. One interesting thing about both these movies was the appearance of the Mexican actor Alfonso Bedoya, best known for the "stinkin' badges" line in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. We also purchased another Randolph Scott movie, Seven Men from Now,which we hope to watch soon.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi all,
    today 3 westerns are on our Tv, amoung them The Magnificent seven and High Noon. Planning to watch High Noon - never saw it before.
    yesterday watched She wore a yellow ribbon.
    Regards,
    Senta

• I watched Bend of The River w/ Jimmy Stewart and Rock Hudson. Tried to watch How the West was Won but just can't seem to get through it in one sitting. Will have to try again on a rainy Sunday.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Got a chance to watch the VHS I got via eBay. It's the "Onboard with the Duke". I had been wanting to get this video for several years, and finally pulled the trigger this week and bought it.

I really enjoyed this video, it was as good as I thought it would be, seeing the other side of Dukes life. ;)

• Last night I watched THE OUTLAW. The movie has two very large firm things going for it. Other then Miss Russell and the world's first cross-your-heart there are many other good things to say about this movie such as all the fine acting and good script. The scoring however, is over done and horrible, the worst case of Mickey Mousing I have ever seen.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by Kevin@Jan 10 2006, 04:32 PM
    Got a chance to watch the VHS I got via eBay. It's the "Onboard with the Duke". I had been wanting to get this video for several years, and finally pulled the trigger this week and bought it.

I really enjoyed this video, it was as good as I thought it would be, seeing the other side of Dukes life. ;)

[snapback]25194[/snapback]

Kevin,

What is that? And how do you get this?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Guns Of Fort Petticoat"
    -With Audie Murphy

Like most of Murphy's movies, this is a solid well made "B" movie. nothing classic, but fun to watch.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

Originally posted by Phantomstranger@Jan 11 2006, 07:26 PM
    The Guns Of Fort Petticoat"
    -With Audie Murphy

Like most of Murphy's movies, this is a solid well made "B" movie. nothing classic, but fun to watch.

[snapback]25249[/snapback]

Phantomstranger,

What is your favorite Audie Murphy movie? I don't think I've seen any of his movies, and would like recommendations of any of his movies.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Jan 11 2006, 08:33 PM

What is your favorite Audie Murphy movie? I don't think I've seen any of his movies, and would like recommendations of any of his movies.

Cheers B)

[snapback]25250[/snapback]

Not to hi-jack this thread... my favorite Audie Murphy movies are...

To hell and back (His life story.. well his WWII story)
    Destry
    The Quick Gun
    Arizona Raiders
    The Texican

Now back to topic...

I watched King of the Pecos, The Sons of Kate Elder, and The Comancheros tonight...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Hi Hondo,
    To answer your question, my personal favorites among Murphys films are:

"No Name On The Bullit'
    "The Texican"
    "Night Passage" (with James Stewart)
    "The Guns Of Fort Petticoat"

Like I said in my earlier post, Murphy's movies were good solid, by the numbers westerns. Action packed, decent stories and acting. No real classics, just fun popcorn movies.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• We own The Guns of Fort Petticoat, and enjoy it. Unfortunately, our VHS copy of it has a spot about 2/3 of the way through or more, that lasts for a couple of minutes, that is quite annoying. We hope to replace it one day, but we only paid a dollar for it at a rummage sale, so don't have huge complaints.

Anyway, to get a little more on topic, we watched Back to the Future 3 tonight, which is the "Western" installment of the three movies. It has some nice shots of Monument Valley, some cute Western references, and it sure is fun seeing Harry Carey Jr., Pat Buttram, and Dub Taylor as the old timers back in 1885.

An all-around fun film and one of our family's favorites (we just got the boxed set of three DVDs, which has tons of special features, at a local electronics super-store, for $29.99).

Oops . . . almost forgot! We watched the Randolph Scott film Seven Men from Now the other night. We felt it was the best Randolph Scott movie we've seen so far. Gail Russel (of Angel and the Badman fame amongst JW fans) was the female lead, and Lee Marvin was the happy-go-lucky bad guy. Well done movie, and to hear Clint Eastwood and Quentin Tarantino tell it in the special features, a real classic among Westerns.

Chester :newyear:

• Destry, the Audie Murphy vesion.

I picked it up from Ebay on VHS for my dad but watched it before I gave it too him, :lol: :lol:

By the way, does anybody know how hard that movie is to find? I cannot find it anywhere but EBay and the VHS tape was not a retail version. Its a good copy but not a retail. Would be nice to see it on DVD sometime.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne